New guy from Northern Canada

Welcome to the site Van Doo, from the RCA. Good luck on your quest for a new double. Je me souviens.

I like hunting, shooting and collecting firearms.

I hunt Elks, Moose, bears, deers, coyotes and birds.

Only where it is extremely cold. I dream of a hunting trip in Europe and in Africa. I am looking for a double rifle and this is how I found this site. Looking for Krieghoff, Merkel, Heym or Chapuis double side by side. I don't know what caliber yet. Hesitating betwen 375h&h or 9.3x74r. Would like a spare barrel in 20g.

Married with the most understanding and beautiful wife in the world. I have 3 kids. 42. Retired infantry 20yrs, now a dr.

That's pretty much it!
Welcome in the best forum.
Which part of the cold north are you located ?
Im often looking at Old Crow website-northern Yukon territory.
-35 ° Celsius at the moment.
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=...ow.ca/&usg=AFQjCNHjtesYpZG_lJeycPKrMLawOsHCEA
Poor people.
I understand that you dreaming from Africa :)
Welcome again.
Foxi

Thanks everyone, I feel like I found a good place for info.

Yes it is probably a typo for,the 35 Whelen.

Welcome vandoo .. you are gonna like it here . What part of Canada ? ... I'm here in Ontario .
Glem

I live in North east of Quebec next to the Ontario border and Baie James. Duparquet Lake to be exact. I hunt in the Baie James Territory.

Welcome in the best forum.
Which part of the cold north are you located ?
Im often looking at Old Crow website-northern Yukon territory.
-35 ° Celsius at the moment.
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5zO20je_QAhVSOFAKHeGUC4wQFgg1MAI&url=http://www.oldcrow.ca/&usg=AFQjCNHjtesYpZG_lJeycPKrMLawOsHCEA
Poor people.
I understand that you dreaming from Africa :)
Welcome again.
Foxi
Ok, that is North where you live. I live at Lake Duparquet in North East of Quebec.

Welcome from Northren Alberta, I bought a Merkel in 470 NE 15 years ago. They are a very nice working rifle.
Ok, few questions for you.

Why 470 NE?
How would you describe the recoil?
What is the longest shot you would take to kill an animal?
How accurate is the rifle?
Is it a good idea to purchase a 20g barrel with it?
Two triggers?
Ejectors or extractors?

I would really like your opinion.

Welcome to AH. I too would love a double in 375 or 9.3x74 both are fine choices and no animal can can tell the difference between the two but the 375 is the legal minimum for DG in most African countries and its much easier to find ammo for the 375. Good luck with your search, let us know things turn out.
One small question, would you say that 375h&h recoil is approximately the same as 9.3x74r (286g)?

One small question, would you say that 375h&h recoil is approximately the same as 9.3x74r (286g)?
No Sir.
Be sure,you feel 15 grain more powder.

Last edited:
Ok, few questions for you.

Why 470 NE?
How would you describe the recoil?
What is the longest shot you would take to kill an animal?
How accurate is the rifle?
Is it a good idea to purchase a 20g barrel with it?
Two triggers?
Ejectors or extractors?

I would really like your opinion.

470 NE because I wanted a bigger caliber, recoil is manageable don't shoot a lot off of benches. I'am shooting a shot from each barrel under 1" apart at 50 yards. Longest shot was about 100 yards at a Giraffe. Two triggers always on a double rifle. Extractors that's all that I could find at the time, I may do ejectors if I buy another. As far as a shotgun barrel I wouldn't but then I'm not a shotgun shooter.

Thanks for the reply. It will certainly help with my decision.

Welcome to the forum vandoo, you are in the right place!

Welcome to AH

Welcome to the family vandoo!

Welcome to AH @vandoo! It is a great site, glad to have you here.

welcome, welcome, welcome

Welcome to AH!

375 Ruger Fan, you are quite correct. I did fat finger the wrong key. The cartridge I wanted to mention/suggest is a 35 Whelen. Although some prefer 250 Gr. bullets for this caliber, 225 Gr. pills pushed at a higher velocity actually perform better. I realize the 375 minimum for DG places undo limits on the 35 Whelen, however a quick look at the ballistics will show the Whelen stacks up very well and at 200 yds. may surpass the energy levels of a 9.3 x 74 or a 375 H & H.

Vandoo, I had a very good friend that lived in Val Carron a suburb of Sudbury. I met him at the National Pistol Matches held at Camp Perry Ohio. Verner and I shared a similar love of hunting and competitive shooting until his untimely death seven or eight years ago.

Welcome to the forum Vandoo. Lots of hunters from Canada here. Good luck on your double rifle search and hope to see you in Africa someday soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xshheecx

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's