New from Wales, United Kingdom

Greetings Scolopax,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I look forward to reading your hunt reports from home, from Africa and wherever else you have wandered.

Likewise, bird hunting is popular here in Alaska where I live.
The most common ones are various wayerfowl and at least 3 species of grouse.
We have Spruce Grouse, Ruff Grouse and Ptarmigan.
As far as I can tell from photos of “snow grouse” in Scotland, they are perhaps the same species or at least first cousins to the ptarmigan.
I suspect snow grouse might also live in other parts of Europe as well ?

Anyway Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome! Certainly glad to have you here with us!

Greetings Scolopax,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I look forward to reading your hunt reports from home, from Africa and wherever else you have wandered.

As far as I can tell from photos of “snow grouse” in Scotland, they are perhaps the same species or at least first cousins to the ptarmigan.

Anyway Cheers,
Velo Dog.
WATERFOWL, not “wayerfowl” . :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Greetings Scolopax,

Anyway Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Hi Velo Dog,

We have the red grouse, black grouse, capercaillie and the ptarmigan- I believe the ptarmigan is the same species as yours (lagopus mutus).

Have been to Canada a couple of times- familiar with your spruce and rough grouse, or ditch chickens as they call them! Great way to spend the morning on the way back to camp!

Hi Velo Dog,

We have the red grouse, black grouse, capercaillie and the ptarmigan- I believe the ptarmigan is the same species as yours (lagopus mutus).

Have been to Canada a couple of times- familiar with your spruce and rough grouse, or ditch chickens as they call them! Great way to spend the morning on the way back to camp!
Hi again Scolopax,

I am quite pleasantly surprised to learn that ptarmigan are there in Wales.
That is excellent.
Looks like you have a bit more variety of grouse sub-species than Alaska does.
And capercaillie wow, what can we say about the king of grouse ?
If only we had those here in N. America.
A man can dream.

Cheers,
EL Doggo.

Hi again Scolopax,

I am quite pleasantly surprised to learn that ptarmigan are there in Wales.
That is excellent.
Looks like you have a bit more variety of grouse sub-species than Alaska does.
And capercaillie wow, what can we say about the king of grouse ?
If only we had those here in N. America.
A man can dream.

Cheers,
EL Doggo.
Sadly ptarmigan and capercaillie are in Scotland only we get the reds and black in wales.

Other birds in wales- snipe, lots of duck, wood pigeon, geese, partridge and pheasant. My go to is still woodcock! I work hpr’s for them and there little better than walked up and finding your dog on point and knowing it’s a woodcock!

Myself and a couple other members shot pheasant, chukar and quail on the Rockin G Ranch, near Turkey, Texas last January.
The ranch is owned by a forum Sponsor, “Gizmo”.
He has Drothauer (spelling ?) pointers / retrievers.
It was grand .
Fellow member “Mekaniks” is a much above average wing shot.
Another forum member, “1dirthawker” and myself managed to sack a few ourselves, usually when Mekaniks was reloading.:ROFLMAO:

Welcome from SouthTyrol!
Altough the Mediterranean isn`t too far (about 200 miles) her we have ptarmigan (Lagopus mutus) and capercallie (Tetrao urogallus).
P.S. I don´t mean to show my culture with latin names (they are mentioned in the applicable laws) but I want be sure to avoid misunderstandings.

Welcome from SouthTyrol!
Altough the Mediterranean isn`t too far (about 200 miles) her we have ptarmigan (Lagopus mutus) and capercallie (Tetrao urogallus).
P.S. I don´t mean to show my culture with latin names (they are mentioned in the applicable laws) but I want be sure to avoid misunderstandings.
That’s exactly what Latin names are for- a common language so there are no misunderstandings!

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345