New from Northern Arizona

One thing, 5 days isn't too much time for a few extra animals, especially if travel to another site is evolved.

But you may get a chance at other animals as you are hunting for what is on your list.

As for your rifles if you have the 6.8 I would use that. A heaver bullet is always welcomed. But the 270 will work with proper bullet placement using a premium bullet.

One thing, 5 days isn't too much time for a few extra animals, especially if travel to another site is evolved.

But you may get a chance at other animals as you are hunting for what is on your list.

As for your rifles if you have the 6.8 I would use that. A heaver bullet is always welcomed. But the 270 will work with proper bullet placement using a premium bullet.
Thank's!

I definitely want to add a zebra and open to other's, kudu is a classic. I'm sure my son in law will be adding animals especially with his boy's. Am thinking of taking either a .270 or 6.8 western for myself and even thinking about taking my bow along ‍♂️.
I worry more about getting them back home..lol

I'm not familiar with the 6.8 Western am with the 6.8 SPC. Given those choices of 270 or 6.8, same bullet diameter, I would opt for the 270 and a heavy bullet like a 140 or heavier for wildebeest, zebra, kudu, and red hartebeest.

Suggested other animal(s): 5 hunting days

Besides mentioned above

Warthog Springbok Impala Blesbok Gemsbok

Just my 2 cents....I would preferred to having a .3 caliber among the choices. ie. .308, 30-06, or a 300 variety.

Looking for to reading your hunt reports when you get back home.

Oops....guess you should have mentioned and the question asked:

How big is your trophy area?

Is Momma giving you a little wall space or do you have a room, basement, etc. larger area to hang your animals on?

Since you mentioned elk and thinking of a kudu, I suggested red heatebeast and gemsbok can be compared to elk (hieght size). Eland are cool, very big, bulky, animals if you add days or otherwise have a chance to get. With that bushbuck, bushpig, baboon, jackal are some good hunts.

Welcome to AH!

I'm not familiar with the 6.8 Western am with the 6.8 SPC. Given those choices of 270 or 6.8, same bullet diameter, I would opt for the 270 and a heavy bullet like a 140 or heavier for wildebeest, zebra, kudu, and red hartebeest.

Suggested other animal(s): 5 hunting days

Besides mentioned above

Warthog Springbok Impala Blesbok Gemsbok

Just my 2 cents....I would preferred to having a .3 caliber among the choices. ie. .308, 30-06, or a 300 variety.

Looking for to reading your hunt reports when you get back home.
Ridge Runner, the 6.8 western is a fast twist .277 caliber capable of up to 175 grain bullets at 3000fps or better, I would use either a 165 gr Nosler abr, Barnes 155, a Hammer bullet in the 155 range or the 170gr Berger hunter elite.

Ridge Runner, the 6.8 western is a fast twist .277 caliber capable of up to 175 grain bullets at 3000fps or better, I would use either a 165 gr Nosler abr, Barnes 155, a Hammer bullet in the 155 range or the 170gr Berger hunter elite.

Honestly, I have never heard of the 6.8 Western till last week when I was looking up some reloading data, thumbing back and forth through one of my reloading manuals.

I had a T/C Encore Prohunter, 10 inch barrel, in 6.8 SPC til it was stolen a few years ago. I really liked that firearm and cartridge.

I loaded the 6.8 SPC up for deer using 130 grain bullets. The data listed the 140 grain bullets but they didn't preform as well as I liked. The 6.8 uses the same diameter bullet as the .270, so I called it my 270 shorty.

That is how I knew the .270 can go beyond the 140 grain weight bullets. Having never done in reloading or other cause to focus on 270 ballistics or load data (recently, about 4 decades ago) I haven't the knowledge of what the 270 grain bullet weights are beyond the 140 grain.

Sort of expected members to take up my slack who are more knowledgeable and use a .270 to recommend to the OP the best weight and type bullet for the PG game he is planning on hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houston749

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?