Schmidty

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, USA, South Africa
Did a lot of reading regarding boots in this forum. I decided to purchase Jim Green African Ranger Barefoot boots in Cape Buffalo hide. I definitely want to try Courteney's some day but these will be my boots for my fist buffalo hunt next June 2025.
1000006644.jpg

I have a pair of the buffalo too. Tad heavier than the bovine rangers, but indestructible. I took their insert out and replaced with a Sole brand cork one. Super comfortable.

I’m torn between the regular rangers and the barefoot. Did you put an insole into the barefoot? If so was it just for cushion or for structure?

The design seems like an intriguing idea for a true stalking boot. My only question is how my feet would do unsupported on a long hike trying to walk down an eland or buffalo. My other concern would be in thorn country like Namibia and parts of Zim. I have put acacia thorns all the way through a Courteney sole and pulled out many that didn't quite make it through. It will catch one's attention.

I wear Danner tachyon boots which are a super light desert boot and have wondered if the barefoot sole would be similar in flexibility and support

I’d like to try these, but I think I will go with the standard ranger boots. I bought my first pair of Courtney’s this year they are way too heavy in my opinion. I think these would give better thorn protection than many might think. That layer of leather as a midsole would be better than the foam in many US hiking boots people take over regularly.

I’d like to try these, but I think I will go with the standard ranger boots. I bought my first pair of Courtney’s this year they are way too heavy in my opinion. I think these would give better thorn protection than many might think. That layer of leather as a midsole would be better than the foam in many US hiking boots people take over regularly.

I haven’t weighed my Jim Greens but they are on the heavy side. I don’t have any Courtney’s to compare them to, but significantly heavier than the Merrell hiking boots I typically wear when I’m just kicking around and sometimes hunting. Not to the point of being a problem, but noticeable.

I believe the buffalo hide ones are heavier than the cow hide versions, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of published details. The one review I saw quoted a particular weight but didn't indicate if it was for an individual boot or for a pair.
Can any owners provide details eg model, size, material weight and whether for a pair or single boot.

1 mm more thickness in the leather shouldn’t be enough to complain about?
mine are light as a feather compared to my redwing boots

The design seems like an intriguing idea for a true stalking boot. My only question is how my feet would do unsupported on a long hike trying to walk down an eland or buffalo. My other concern would be in thorn country like Namibia and parts of Zim. I have put acacia thorns all the way through a Courteney sole and pulled out many that didn't quite make it through. It will catch one's attention.
I’m going to find out given I just ordered a pair. On my April hunts I absolutely loved my Solamons but they were very loud with even my PH saying he liked them but they were loud. I will put these into my power walking rotation and let everyone know how they do. In concept they sound great except for Acacia thorns

I agree, the Courtney's are quite heavy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JimmieWool

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!