New and pristine or used with patina?

I own and use new rifles but when hunting I don't sit and admire and wonder where they have been and the game they have taken. I have a special affinity for 100+ year old rifles. The work it takes to secure ammo and get them shooting again is half the fun, but they are not whole again until I blood them. Sitting and admiring the workmanship and patina is part of their mystic. These old rifles teach me more about reloading and restoring than I originally set out to know and I thoroughly enjoy the education.

Watched a hunt on YouTube yesterday, Dalton Tink showed his personal Winchester .458 stopping rifle. It's well worn with zero finish left on the metal, almost none on the wood, but I'd bet you couldn't buy that gun from him for love nor money. You can get a good look at it right around the 7 minute mark.

I’ve handled this rifle, it’s definitely worn.

Given the choice I'd rather the gun with wear on it. I don't worry about it, and in fact enjoy carrying on it's tradition 30-50-80-100 years later from what it was made for.

All else being equal. Would you rather carry a brand new pristine, immaculate rifle with perfect wood and blueing.

Or one that is in perfect working order but has some blueing worn off and some battle scars on the wood.

I appreciate both. But in my mind if I picture carrying a Rigby rifle for instance, on safari. I picture one with the blueing gone and replaced with a nice brown patina. The action nice and worn in. The stock has dents and scratches.

I love my rifles in great condition. But the look of one that’s been carried for thousands of miles is more unique.

I’ll start with my .458 WM
View attachment 593187View attachment 593188View attachment 593189View attachment 593190View attachment 593191
Now that is what I call patina!!!

Depends...once upon a time, rifles as they came from the factory were OK with + - 2moa accuracy. I can put up with a little less than stellar accuracy if it's a caliber I don't plan on stretching the range with. But for distance, especially on an expensive hunt, I want a new quality barrel, well bedded and set up right. New rifles have new rifling. Old rifles in some cases can have someone else's old problems that are now my problems to solve, and some are just plain worn out. Many break action guns cannot be rebarreled without spending the cost of a newer gun, so you are stuck with whatever you got. I often rust blue and renew an older rifle, and improve it all I can. One thing I cannot abide is a truly ugly rifle. I wouldn't marry an ugly...well, you get the idea. And I can't "patina" to the point of NO blueing at all left.
Solving those problems then makes it your responsibility to continue to add to the patina.:unsure:

I'll take a banger any day.

The ideal woule be prestine in youbger years and well worn als you and the time with the rifle progresses.

Wanted to do that with a 98 that was given to me when i startet. But sadly a "gunsmith" ruined it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertCarlisle

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with