New and pristine or used with patina?

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
All else being equal. Would you rather carry a brand new pristine, immaculate rifle with perfect wood and blueing.

Or one that is in perfect working order but has some blueing worn off and some battle scars on the wood.

I appreciate both. But in my mind if I picture carrying a Rigby rifle for instance, on safari. I picture one with the blueing gone and replaced with a nice brown patina. The action nice and worn in. The stock has dents and scratches.

I love my rifles in great condition. But the look of one that’s been carried for thousands of miles is more unique.

I’ll start with my .458 WM
IMG_1496.jpeg
IMG_1498.jpeg
IMG_3647.jpeg
IMG_3646.jpeg
IMG_3645.jpeg

Shiny rifles got no stories.

That's true, but unfortunately before they get a patina they are all shiny. For this reason, If you have bought a new rifle for hunting in Africa, you have to go hunting there immediately and repeatedly at short intervals. This is the only way to quickly give the rifle the desired patina.

My 2¢, I'd take the old veteran, one which has proven itself in the field.

I have 4 vintage british rifles, 1906 - 1920ish..3 are double rifles.. I have ca. the story of one of them but not the others..

I wish they could talk and tell me their stories..

Patina, and I'm enjoying watch it take shape on a couple of mine.

I hunted deer with Hal Blood in Maine a couple of years ago. A bit of a legend up there in the big woods and tracking circles. He's carried the same Remington 7600 pump gun for years, and the blueing is worn off the receiver in the shape of his 4 fingers. That rifle has got some stories.

I like them all, but some patina can be really neat.

Of all my long guns, I am confident less than half were purchased new. Most of my shotguns were built before I was born - many long before. I use them all. However, I must confess my three favorite current rifles were bought new. But each has quite a few miles and an interesting story or two to tell. They are an R8 in .375 configuration, .275 Rigby, and 7x65R Bailey Bradshaw. The purchased as new with the largest total of game is my No. 1 B in 270. Purchased while a lieutenant stationed in Germany in 1975, it has accounted for numerous red stag, many dozens of roe deer, wild boar, foxes, coyotes, and whitetail. It has languished for quite a while, and it just landed at R J Renner's place for a bit of a Germanic face lift.

My most used older rifle is a Cogswell & Harrison in .318 WR built around an elegantly modified P14 action sometime in the 1920's. It has taken Nilgai, wild boar, and several whitetail. If I hunt black bear again, I've decided it will go with me. I would love to know the adventures it experienced before me. Though, the previous owner and I have shared a late evening whiskey or cognac more than a few times.

Watched a hunt on YouTube yesterday, Dalton Tink showed his personal Winchester .458 stopping rifle. It's well worn with zero finish left on the metal, almost none on the wood, but I'd bet you couldn't buy that gun from him for love nor money. You can get a good look at it right around the 7 minute mark.

Last edited:
Can we see the .318

One of old Art Alphin's P 14/17's can look like a water pipe mounted in a 2x6. Between the wars, the British could create real elegance from such an action.

P-14.jpg

A very good point and one of the best threads title ever, to me.
Well, as in people, I prefer rifles with a story. Dents and scratches, well, can be very fashinating.
As the actress Anna Magnani once said "I love all my wrincles : it took me a lifetime to make them"
Cant agree more

This is an easy one for me. I love older rifles. Some of my favorites include 2 Savage 99s, a Remington 141, a Savage 24, and a Browning BBR.

Sadly most of my rifles are GunBroker purchases. I say sadly because I'd dearly love to know the history of each rifle. My 99 EG, that I used to take a gemsbok, impala, kudu, and warthog with last June - what all has it accounted for since it was manufactured in 1947? It was listed as a gunsmith's special when I bought it, and it needed a lot of TLC. Somebody way back when had tried to drill and tap it, and while the holes are square, they did not match any base I could find, so I had to modify one - and it works just fine. But what did it do all those decades? Was it hunted hard? Shot a lot? Or did it sit in a closet? I have no idea. But I gave it some love, I redid the stock and forearm, and touched up some metal with cold bluing. And now I hunt with it.

Yeah, for me: used with patina, to use the language of your heading.

My 99EG and my 141... and the 99 in Africa...

IMG_200.jpg

P1010443.jpg

Last edited:
All else being equal. Would you rather carry a brand new pristine, immaculate rifle with perfect wood and blueing.

Or one that is in perfect working order but has some blueing worn off and some battle scars on the wood.

I appreciate both. But in my mind if I picture carrying a Rigby rifle for instance, on safari. I picture one with the blueing gone and replaced with a nice brown patina. The action nice and worn in. The stock has dents and scratches.

I love my rifles in great condition. But the look of one that’s been carried for thousands of miles is more unique.

I’ll start with my .458 WM
View attachment 593187View attachment 593188View attachment 593189View attachment 593190View attachment 593191
I’m with you, I love them both. I will say shiny and new never hinders me in any way hunting with them in Africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertCarlisle

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with