Need help with claw mount

Syncro76

Reaction score
I have not messed with claw mounts before and wondering if someone could tell me what rings would be needed for this. I have looked at a good deal of old German scopes with claw mounts on ebay. Just not sure what I really need. Someone at some point tapped the front dove tail for weaver bases. Have already done away with those

IMG_0694.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Claw mounts are one-off, individual creations. There are not interchangeable parts that will work without being fitted to the mounts you presently have. JJ Perodeau in Enid, Oklahoma can make you a set, and for less money than most people to boot. (though still not cheap--get ready for some sticker shock) Good luck.

As mentioned, claw mounts are custom to the gun and a given optic. The cost for a new set to be made and installed is $2400. The cost to make a new set of rings that fit existing bases is harder yet, $3000.

Judging by the gun (this is practicality speaking, not insulting your gun) it is not worth the endeavor.

If you want the very best mounts for that gun that are less expensive, EAW pivot mounts cost $600 for the hardware if you're a proficient gunsmith that can install them. If you're not, NECG will install them for you for $900.

If it were me, I'd rip that shoddy front claw base off that gun and get out the bronze wool and oil to remove the rust. I'd then measure the hole spacing of the front and back of the bridge. If they are "standard" mauser spacings, I'd get a set of Talley bases and matching Quick Detach rings with levers. Total cost: $200. It will get you where you want to go for a fraction of the cost, saving more money for optics.

As an aside, claw mounts are permenant and expensive. If you ever wish to change scopes, you throw them away and start over with another many thousands of dollars. Thus, if you're spending $2400 on new claw mounts, you generally want to be using a $2000-$3000 optic that will stand the test of time for the next 30-40 years. On the other hand, with Talley mounts you can change your mind every week and throw a variety of glass on it with installation effort within the realms of most hobbyists.

Post script. I just noticed they dovetailed the front claw base into the action. This adds a complication. If it were me, and the whole space lines up, I'd machine that claw base to round, polish it, blue it, screw a capture pin to the action that cannot move, and install a Talley base on top of it. It wouldn't be completely concealed, but it would be the least amount of trouble by about a grand.

Thanks for the help guys. I hoped there was a standard claw mount used on Mauser actions. Was worth asking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wukonghei162

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!