Need assistance finding ammo and reloading components for 38-55 Win

As far as bullets go, I've been using Hawk Inc. bullets made just for the 38-55 and have been getting great results.

I have found Starline back orders to be very reliable. If they are accepting back orders you may have to wait a few weeks but they will deliver.
Usually that is the case but for whatever reason they did not manufacture the 2.125"- 38-55 cases for quite sometime.

TIA, for any and all help I can get from the forum members.

I need assistance in locating ammunition and reloading components for my 38-55 caliber, Winchester Model 1895.

I have checked with my usual ammunition and reloading suppliers and several websites to no avail.

I am hoping that someone on here knows where there is 38-55 ammunition and/or reloading components are available for my rifle.

For reloading components I'm needing .379 or .380 diameter, preferably 200, 240, or 250 grain, Flat Nose, Lead, JSP, and Mono bullets, and 38-55 brass.

Since this is a modern Wichester rifle I can shoot smokeless and black powder cartridges, but I would prefer smokeless powder cartridges.

I need assistance in locating ammunition and reloading components for my 38-55 caliber, Winchester Model 1895.

I have checked with my usual ammunition and reloading suppliers and several websites to no avail.

I am hoping that someone on here knows where there is 38-55 ammunition and/or reloading components are available for my rifle.

For reloading components I'm needing .379 or .380 diameter, preferably 200, 240, or 250 grain, Flat Nose, Lead, JSP, and Mono bullets, and 38-55 brass.

Since this is a modern Wichester rifle I can shoot smokeless and black powder cartridges, but I would prefer smokeless powder cartridges.
Ridge Runner,

Your AH profile doesn't list a location, but I'll assume it is not somewhere in Canada. Let me offer the following . . .
I have a Winchester lever action in 38-55 that I hunted with as a young boy in northern Wisconsin, and after many years it has come back to me via my Dad. Along with some fairly new factory ammo that he had acquired. I've heard that the caliber is still somewhat popular in Canada, and probably more hunters use the caliber there than in the U.S. I don't recall right now the brand of ammo, but I do recall it was not a "household name brand" like Hornady, Federal, Winchester, etc. I think it was of Canadian manufacture. You might do some digging in that direction . . . sorry I don't have more specifics, but I'm in East Africa for the next coupla months and unable to confirm details about the manufacturer of the ammo I have. Maybe some of the Canadian members of the forum can shed further light?

Ridge Runner,

Your AH profile doesn't list a location, but I'll assume it is not somewhere in Canada. Let me offer the following . . .
I have a Winchester lever action in 38-55 that I hunted with as a young boy in northern Wisconsin, and after many years it has come back to me via my Dad. Along with some fairly new factory ammo that he had acquired. I've heard that the caliber is still somewhat popular in Canada, and probably more hunters use the caliber there than in the U.S. I don't recall right now the brand of ammo, but I do recall it was not a "household name brand" like Hornady, Federal, Winchester, etc. I think it was of Canadian manufacture. You might do some digging in that direction . . . sorry I don't have more specifics, but I'm in East Africa for the next coupla months and unable to confirm details about the manufacturer of the ammo I have. Maybe some of the Canadian members of the forum can shed further light?

I'll have to edit and correct that to list my location as I thought my location was listed. I live in northeast Tennessee, USA, between Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol, aka The Tri Cities.

I'll have to check shipping costs, but if it's worth the expense I'll be glad to get our northern neighbor companies some business so I can acquire what I need. After all our northern often enough have to acquire their needs from their southern neighbors.

Thanks for the info and happy hunting/vacationing. Two months in Africa....WOW!....Just WOW! I hope you are enjoying your time in Africa as the rest of us are suffering through the winter months.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You mean model 1894 dont you? Model 95 was never chambered for this round.

@Ridge Runner
If you can't get 38-55 cases 375 big bore Winchester will do the job. It's the same size just a bit longer from memory and a thicker case head for the added pressure.
Bob

The .375 cases are a bit shorter actually.

I had a Legendary Frontiersman rifle for a time in this caliber, but was disappointed in its accuracy level.

I still have a few boxes of handloaded ammo, but no brass and only a few bullets.

I suppose I may have to snag another one just to shoot up the ammo in. My dad loved the round.

The .375 cases are a bit shorter actually.
@sestoppelman
Thanks for the clarification mate.
I was having a senior moment ( only had 1 coffee so far not my usual 2). I couldn't remember If'n they were longer or shorter but knew you could use them in the 38-55.
Bob

@Ridge Runner
If you can't get 38-55 cases 375 big bore Winchester will do the job. It's the same size just a bit longer from memory and a thicker case head for the added pressure.
Bob

Thank for the information Bob.

The question or concern is/raises... From what I just read above the 38-55 concerning brass and Winchester's lacking in advancing the caliber.... I'm trying to figure, and get a chamber measurement, out as to whether this particular rifle requires the 30-30, 2.08 inch brass or the 2.125 brass to obtain the most accurate load for this cartridge.

Accordingly to what I just read regarding the brass, I hope you perhaps can/will elaborate on, is that the thinner wall, at the neck, will allow the use of bore diameter correct bullets and black powder paper patch bullets to be equal or provide better accuracy vs smaller .010 - (guesstimated .015) original bullet diameter loaded, when a paper patch was added that made these cartridges more accurate than gas check bore size bullets.

Brass length, an all together history lesson, in short....had the brass been lengthen to proper size, ie. 2.125, and that the bullet diameter and bore were of equal size, the 38-55 would be more popular than the 30-30 aka 30 W.C.F. of the time/era.

It was so stated that the thicker neck wall brass created accuracy problems by not allowing bore diameter and gas check diameter bullets to properly engage the rifling.

Thank for the information Bob.

The question or concern is/raises... From what I just read above the 38-55 concerning brass and Winchester's lacking in advancing the caliber.... I'm trying to figure, and get a chamber measurement, out as to whether this particular rifle requires the 30-30, 2.08 inch brass or the 2.125 brass to obtain the most accurate load for this cartridge.

Accordingly to what I just read regarding the brass, I hope you perhaps can/will elaborate on, is that the thinner wall, at the neck, will allow the use of bore diameter correct bullets and black powder paper patch bullets to be equal or provide better accuracy vs smaller .010 - (guesstimated .015) original bullet diameter loaded, when a paper patch was added that made these cartridges more accurate than gas check bore size bullets.

Brass length, an all together history lesson, in short....had the brass been lengthen to proper size, ie. 2.125, and that the bullet diameter and bore were of equal size, the 38-55 would be more popular than the 30-30 aka 30 W.C.F. of the time/era.

It was so stated that the thicker neck wall brass created accuracy problems by not allowing bore diameter and gas check diameter bullets to properly engage the rifling.
I like you drove myself about nuts trying to figure out what brass and bullets to use in my Winchester 94 38-55 manufactured in I believe 1979. Then I read some articles that were written by custom bullet manufacturers that are a darn sight smarter than me and followed their advice. I went with the longer brass and Hawk bullets, that combination shoots better than I can see with the open sights. At 100 yards I'm shooting under 2" groups and I'm sure that if my eyesight was better so would be the groups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]