Need a scope for my CZ 550 .404 Jeffery

A swarovski z6i 1-6x24mm EE (Extended Eye Relief) is the gold standard. No longer made. You'll drop $4k on an illuminated one, around $3k in a non-illuminated. 5" of eye relief and quick target acquisition is what makes it better than any other optic ever created for this task. Obviously, low or extra low rings to give you the same cheek weld as iron sights as well.

A swarovski z6i 1-6x24mm EE (Extended Eye Relief) is the gold standard. No longer made. You'll drop $4k on an illuminated one, around $3k in a non-illuminated. 5" of eye relief and quick target acquisition is what makes it better than any other optic ever created for this task. Obviously, low or extra low rings to give you the same cheek weld as iron sights as well.

I agree on the Swarovski z6i 1-6x24mm EE (Extended Eye Relief) having reached cult status, but the eye relief is not 5", it is 3.75", which is still the longest, I believe, that was ever offered.

1721775592587.png

Since we are talking best-of-the-best, based on personal use with both, I still rank the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 ahead of the Swarovski z6i 1-6x24mm EE in glass quality, although it does have a 0.25" shorter eye relief (3.5"). Mine is on my .458 Lott and has proved so far indestructible through 3 of the Big 5, and has - so far - never bit me under recoil

1721775849226.png

Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 i on Blaser R8 .458 Lott.jpg

Swaro 1-6, Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1-4, even one of the older S&B Klassics in 1-4, can't go wrong with either, you could go 1-8 straight tube from the aforementioned manufacturers, but I feel they aren't worth the difference in price.

+1 on Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4 x 24, also in the best-of-the-best category, with also a 3.5" eye relief, and Lord knows I still love my old Schmidt & Bender 1.25 - 4 x 20 Biebertal Wetzlar on my Dumoulin .338 Win Mag. Although it is dated now (it only has a 20 mm objective vs. 24 mm for all modern scopes), back in the days (1980's) it was THE reference.

Schmidt & Bender 1.25 - 4 x 20 Biebertal Wetzlar on Dumoulin .338 Win Mag.jpg

I got myself a Kahles for my .404 and I am very happy with it

+1 also on the Kahles, which was purchased by Swarovski in 1974 and became their military brand (like Zeiss has Hensoldt). They are now also using the brand in the civilian market but it is not as well known in the US as the others (Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B).

And since we are touching on other European manufacturers, I would also include Steiner and Meopta in the brands worth looking at.

In my extensive experience, quality is not necessarily assured with a high price tag.

I think that you may have wanted to say that quality can also be had with a lower price tag.

I actually agree that the quality available nowadays in inexpensive scopes is absolutely amazing, especially compared to what was available even at a much higher price point only a few decades ago.

But this being said, I would say that barring the occasional fluke, quality IS assured with a high price tag - assuming the high price tag is associated with the leading brands discussed in this thread - and I will add that when it comes to optics (scopes & binoculars) "one does not know what one does not know" about the quality difference until one has the opportunity to try side by side prime optics and lesser optics, especially at dawn or dusk. The experience is generally eye opening (pun fully intended).

This does not mean that one cannot hunt, and be wildly successful, with a modern $500 rifle and a modern $300 scope, because these are likely better than what was generally available to our fathers, but modern rifles (e.g. Blaser R8) and modern glass (e.g. (Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B, etc.) are leaps & bounds ahead in terms of quality, precision, etc. if only thanks to CNC machining...

Last edited:
I agree on the Swarovski z6i 1-6x24mm EE (Extended Eye Relief) having reached cult status, but the eye relief is not 5", it is 3.75", which is still the longest, I believe, that was ever offered.

View attachment 621457

Since we are talking best-of-the-best, based on personal use with both, I still rank the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 ahead of the Swarovski z6i 1-6x24mm EE in glass quality, although it does have a 0.25" shorter eye relief (3.5"). Mine is on my .458 Lott and has proved so far indestructible through 3 of the Big 5, and has - so far - never bit me under recoil

View attachment 621459

View attachment 621462

+1 on Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4 x 24, also in the best-of-the-best category, with also a 3.5" eye relief, and Lord knows I still love my old Schmidt & Bender 1.25 - 4 x 20 Biebertal Wetzlar on my Dumoulin .338 Win Mag. Although it is dated now (it only has a 20 mm objective vs. 24 mm for all modern scopes), back in the days (1980's) it was THE reference.

View attachment 621463

+1 also on the Kahles, which was purchased by Swarovski in 1974 and became their military brand (like Zeiss has Hensoldt). They are now also using the brand in the civilian market but it is not as well known in the US as the others (Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B).

And since we are touching on other European manufacturers, I would also include Steiner and Meopta in the brands worth looking at.

I think that you may have wanted to say that quality can also be had with a lower price tag.

I actually agree that the quality available nowadays in inexpensive scopes is absolutely amazing, especially compared to what was available even at a much higher price point only a few decades ago.

But this being said, I would say that barring the occasional fluke, quality IS assured with a high price tag - assuming the high price tag is associated with the leading brands discussed in this thread - and I will add that when it comes to optics (scopes & binoculars) "one does not know what one does not know" about the quality difference until one has the opportunity to try side by side prime optics and lesser optics, especially at dawn or dusk. The experience is generally eye opening (pun fully intended).

This does not mean that one cannot hunt, and be wildly successful, with a modern $500 rifle and a modern $300 scope, because these are likely better than what was generally available to our fathers, but modern rifles (e.g. Blaser R8) and modern glass (e.g. (Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, S&B, etc.) are leaps & bounds ahead in terms of quality, precision, etc. if only thanks to CNC machining...
Sorry, but the source you are quoting for the Swaro 1-6 EE is wrong. They are listing the specs for the standard eye relief on the 1-6, not the EE. The Eye relief on the EE model is 120mm, or 4.8".

Source for the below screenshot is if you want to read it in full https://www.opticsplanet.com/swarovski-z6-1-6x24-sr--rail-riflescope-ee-4-cd-reticle.html

Swaro-EE.png

Thank you. I stand happily corrected :)

I will be heading out to Zimbabwe with CMS safaris for my first dangerous game hunt and i am looking for some guidance on what scope to mount on my 404. I will be using it on my first elephant hunt and possibly a dugga boy if the opportunity arises.

I am not looking to "break the bank" but please all suggestions are welcome. And if any one has a scope they are looking to sell i too would be interested.
Trijicon RMR red dot, 1MOA. Don’t need a scope. I have shot several elephants and buffalo with CMS using a red dot.

View attachment 621457

View attachment 621459

View attachment 621462

View attachment 621463

Thank you very much I am leaning towards the Lecia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariEisenh

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's