Namibia will not legalise trade in rhino horn and ivory

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
In a televised interview with the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation, a spokesman for Namibia’s Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) has said that the country will not consider legalising the trade of rhino horns and elephant tusks.

Romeo Muyunda explained that current Namibian legislation outlaws the local trade in rhino horns and elephant tusks and that CITES (of which Namibia is a member) does the same for international trade.

He emphasised that MET’s focus is on mitigating and curbing poaching through various measure and interventions including the deployment of staff members to wildlife protection services, and the increase in penalties related to illegal wildlife hunting from N$200,000 to N$2 million (Namibian dollars) or 25 years imprisonment.

Muyunda went on to say that about 222 people were arrested in 2016 for suspected poaching or illegal possession of rhino horns and tusks and that in 2017 only eight rhinos and four elephants have been poached to date, which is a reduction on the same period in 2016.

rhino-1170132_1920.jpg

Source: https://africageographic.com/blog/namibia-will-not-legalise-trade-rhino-horn-ivory/

Wow, imagine if South Africa could reduce their poaching to eight rhinos and four elephant every six months.

I just wish Namibia would legalize bow hunting on dangerous game now.

That is impressive in terms of the poached number.

How the hell do they maintain a number like that when South Africa is going insane?!

They don't maintain the number. That is pretty much the bottom line. My guess is that number is a derivative if what they have actually caught or found. It's like an iceberg, you only see the tip.

They are much much lower then RSA but I don't believe they are that low. I will see if I can find the numbers I saw in another article.

The only input I have, when I hunted Namibia,after the hunt rented a car and toured etosha for a few days.we did see quite a few patrols out looking for poachers, don't know much else besides that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathews

Latest profile posts

Got Apparel started out with just a small line of brands in 2007 and today, we’ve become one of the largest online wholesale clothing stores you’ll find. We stock some of the greatest brands including Adidas, Gildan, Port Authority and Hanes.
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?