Namibia will cull 83 elephants and 30 hippos to distribute meat to people hit by drought

So your saying if say I had booked a hunt in Namibia I would have a chance at one of these elephants under own use versus PAC?
Most Caprivi concessions in Namibia receive a standard own use (non exportable) quota that is known and can be booked in advance, also some other areas. Looks like this year is getting extra own use quota due to drought. Problem animals permits are something different. They are issued as problem arises but the trophy can be exported. If you were hunting in Namibia with an outfitter who holds Caprivi concessions and there was own use quota remaining or additional came up I’d expect you’d be offered it if there was room in camp. I’ve taken own use hippo, lechwe, impala, and duikers in the Caprivi. Just keep in mind own use is typically used to harvest non-trophies. Top trophies don’t get harvested as own use.

Last edited:
So your saying if say I had booked a hunt in Namibia I would have a chance at one of these elephants under own use versus PAC?
You can book an “Own Use Hunt” well in advance if the outfitter has quota. They’ve been doing those type of hunts for years and the trophy fee is significantly reduced. With the government’s decision to cull additional animals with the drought, many outfitters have additional “own use” permits at the moment. From what I’ve been told many are cheaper than their regular “own use” quota as a way to help the outfitters book/sell them on short notice or upsell clients in camp. If you’re interested in one PM me and I’ll see if the outfitter sold the permit offered to me. Just know you’ll be getting on a plane in under 30 days.

PAC is different. There’s no guarantee you’re going to be offered a PAC permit when hunting in Namibia. It’s a Problem Animal Control permit and offered following some sort of Human/Wildlife Conflict (crops/property destroyed, livestock killed, human population injured or killed, etc). You just have to be there when it happens or already be booked and arriving around the time the incident happens and a permit is cut. It’s complete luck of the draw. I’ve been offered PAC hunts in Namibia for 2 different members of the Big 5 while PG Hunting. I had a 375 with me so it worked super well. From my experience the PAC hunts can turn into an absolute goat rope, or be really good but it’s a second roll of the dice. This differs from other countries, Zim for instance a foreigner can’t shoot a PAC animal if there’s been any exchange for services. Meaning there’s no trophy fee, but being a contracted client who’s paying daily rates could be construed as a violation and most won’t allow this. Ask Lon for a better understanding since he’s an Outfitter.

If you want an “own use” permit book the Namibian hunt. I wouldn’t suggest anyone book a hunt in Namibia over a different destination hoping they get a PAC permit.

You can book an “Own Use Hunt” well in advance if the outfitter has quota. They’ve been doing those type of hunts for years and the trophy fee is significantly reduced. With the government’s decision to cull additional animals with the drought, many outfitters have additional “own use” permits at the moment. From what I’ve been told many are cheaper than their regular “own use” quota as a way to help the outfitters book/sell them on short notice or upsell clients in camp. If you’re interested in one PM me and I’ll see if the outfitter sold the permit offered to me. Just know you’ll be getting on a plane in under 30 days.

PAC is different. There’s no guarantee you’re going to be offered a PAC permit when hunting in Namibia. It’s a Problem Animal Control permit and offered following some sort of Human/Wildlife Conflict (crops/property destroyed, livestock killed, human population injured or killed, etc). You just have to be there when it happens or already be booked and arriving around the time the incident happens and a permit is cut. It’s complete luck of the draw. I’ve been offered PAC hunts in Namibia for 2 different members of the Big 5 while PG Hunting. I had a 375 with me so it worked super well. From my experience the PAC hunts can turn into an absolute goat rope, or be really good but it’s a second roll of the dice. This differs from other countries, Zim for instance a foreigner can’t shoot a PAC animal if there’s been any exchange for services. Meaning there’s no trophy fee, but being a contracted client who’s paying daily rates could be construed as a violation and most won’t allow this. Ask Lon for a better understanding since he’s an Outfitter.

If you want an “own use” permit book the Namibian hunt. I wouldn’t suggest anyone book a hunt in Namibia over a different destination hoping they get a PAC permit.
I’ve also been offered 2 of the big 5 as PAC in Namibia. Unless the permit is in hand I wouldn’t count on getting it. Parks took 1 PAC elephant themselves before issuing the permit. I was going to take an opportunity for a lion but the permit didn’t come through before I left the country. If you are there at the right place and time though it can be an incredible deal on a great trophy. I passed an opportunity I should not have in 2018. Own use is a safe bet. It’s just standard issue quota most years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanQ012160

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at Kramer-jack@comcast.net or call my cell number 717-660-7421.
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]