NAMIBIA: Plains Game Hunt With DJS Orpa Hunting Safaris

mfcharn

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just returned from a seven day hunt. Two hunters and one observer.
This hunt puts any hunting I have done prior to shame. I will definitely be going back.
Orpa his run by Dirk and Thea Smit. Dirk and his son are both PHs. Hunting is done on his farm and neighboring farms of varying terrain.
I can't say enough good things about this hunt. Game is plentiful, Dirk is extremely knowledgeable and works very hard so you have an opportunity to hunt all the animals on your bucket list. Thea runs the hospitality end of things and is a wonderful hostess.
This is not a resort or corporate style hunt. It is a working farm that is carefully managed. You will see many, many animals every day.
We primarily rifle hunted and were able to take game every single day in the field.

We traveled through Cape Town with a one day layover. In the future I would spend a few days in Cape town, lots to do there.
Flew United over, nice flight with no problems with the rifles. Used a service but after doing it, it is a waste of money. Big thing is getting your SAP paperwork done in advance.
Flew United back. Good flight. However, I can't think of any time the gate agents working the desk were more inept. Bad in Cape Town but we got through it, although it ate up almost all our layover time (four hours). Atrocious in Dulles. Never even close to making my connecting flight. Gate agent was lost and by the time we could get a supervisor over we were not making our connection. An hour to do the two guys in front of us. Rented a car and drove home. That beat the next flight by six hours. We were told we will be getting a refund for that leg and a credit for our troubles.

Despite the bad travel experienced at the end, we are already planning on when we can go back.
Awesome hunting experience. Almost makes me not want to waste my time hunting Whitetails.

Hartebeest.jpg
IMG-20240703-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20240703-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240704-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240707-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240707-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20240707-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20240707-WA0021.jpg

Beautiful animals taken, congrats to both. Boy, you did a huge favor by taking that old Blue.

Great animals. Thanks for sharing your hunt. Sorry for the travel troubles. That is what I feared the most when I went but luckily $$ got us through.

Sounds like you had the typical Namibian safari. Wonderful in all aspects. Some lovely, old trophies. Well done.

Your United experience seems par for the course. People either have no issues, like I did in 2022, or a meltdown. If there are any hiccups, United‘s people and processes can’t cope.

Great trip! Very nice animals.

I do love Namibia...

Congratulations, and some fine animals for sure. Cool that y'all could take a Burchell's and a Hartmann's zebra on the same hunt.

Ed Z

Some really nice trophies congratulations. I’m guessing this was your first African hunt? Namibia gives a really great experience tough to beat for a first hunt in Africa.

Nice trophies, congrats !

Nice wide Kudu . Where did you hear about this outfitter?

Just returned from a seven day hunt. Two hunters and one observer.
This hunt puts any hunting I have done prior to shame. I will definitely be going back.
Orpa his run by Dirk and Thea Smit. Dirk and his son are both PHs. Hunting is done on his farm and neighboring farms of varying terrain.
I can't say enough good things about this hunt. Game is plentiful, Dirk is extremely knowledgeable and works very hard so you have an opportunity to hunt all the animals on your bucket list. Thea runs the hospitality end of things and is a wonderful hostess.
This is not a resort or corporate style hunt. It is a working farm that is carefully managed. You will see many, many animals every day.
We primarily rifle hunted and were able to take game every single day in the field.

We traveled through Cape Town with a one day layover. In the future I would spend a few days in Cape town, lots to do there.
Flew United over, nice flight with no problems with the rifles. Used a service but after doing it, it is a waste of money. Big thing is getting your SAP paperwork done in advance.
Flew United back. Good flight. However, I can't think of any time the gate agents working the desk were more inept. Bad in Cape Town but we got through it, although it ate up almost all our layover time (four hours). Atrocious in Dulles. Never even close to making my connecting flight. Gate agent was lost and by the time we could get a supervisor over we were not making our connection. An hour to do the two guys in front of us. Rented a car and drove home. That beat the next flight by six hours. We were told we will be getting a refund for that leg and a credit for our troubles.

Despite the bad travel experienced at the end, we are already planning on when we can go back.
Awesome hunting experience. Almost makes me not want to waste my time hunting Whitetails.

View attachment 619118View attachment 619119View attachment 619120View attachment 619121View attachment 619122View attachment 619123View attachment 619124View attachment 619125
I've been in camp with Dirk. He is a nice guy. So sorry for the troubles with United. Too many stories like this so we don't fly them.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonAzc4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?