NAMIBIA: Namibia With Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris

mcfar

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just return last week after a 10 day plains game hunt with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris. This was my first safari to Africa and words cannot describe what an awesome hunt my son and I had! At every turn it just kept getting better and better. We started our hunt in his Kaokoland concession. This is remote wild country, over 4 million acres. the only fence was the red line fence and small fence that marked the border to Etosha park. Jamy's son Nicky was our PH and this kid walks on water in my book! He is young but he's one hell of a hunter and knows the game extremely well and is an excellent judge of quality. We just had a blast with him! We were hunting Kudu, Springbok, Gemsbok, Impala, Red Hartebeest, and Warthogs. It's a long drive from Windhoek to the Kaokoland camp and so we spent the first night in a motel about half way at Otjiwaromongo and then arrived in camp around noon the following day. We saw lots of wildlife on the drive and I told Nicky that I hoped to hunt and didn't really want to kill my Kudu the first day. However, we went out after lunch and saw a small Kudu bull, some Mountain Zebra, Springbok, and a few other animals. As we were driving along next to the park border we spotted a Kudu bull just inside the park and a cow outside in our hunting area. We hoped he'd jump the fence to join her but he didn't. We watched him quite awhile and we just started to drive on when Nicky looked into a saddle below and saw a big Kudu and said "Holy Shit!". All I saw was his body but it was big. We jumped out of the Land Cruiser and started a stalk. We got up on this little knob and were able to look down into the draw he'd gone into and across it. We thought he might have headed towards the cow. Nicky moved forward very slowly and then suddenly he saw him coming through the brush towards us! He set up the sticks and told me to let him clear the brush. I shot him quartered to us at about 80 yards! He ran down the hill about 60 yards and keeled over dead! And he had huge curls and I knew he was good because Nicky was so excited! So suddenly I had become that guy! The one who goes out opening day and shoots a huge animal and drives his truck up to it and is home by noon! So much for not shooting one first day!
The next two days we did a lot of driving and hunted Springbok. My son shot a super nice one and we drove some more and I shot a nice one as well. The next day we hauled the meat to the office where they distribute it to the native villages. There was this huge forest not far from the village and Nicky said it usually held Kudu and asked if we wanted to go for a walk. We said sure and so we drove over and spent about 2 hours wandering through this forest, filled with Kudu tracks, elephant sign every where and lots of giraffe. We saw some giraffe but no Kudu. We came out to the edge for lunch and found a shade tree and while we were eating lunch 4 bull elephant came out and were dusting themselves and eating. Super cool! There was a game guard with us and he'd called the village and here came two pickups filled with villagers to look at the elephants! They drove real close to them and when they came back they told our tracker they had seen a Kudu. So after lunch we moved down several hundred yards past the elephants and started back into the forest. Almost immediately we jumped a Kudu cow. I'm thinking, man this is going to be tough getting a shot at a bull in this stuff. We kept on and then there was a giraffe in front of us, looking right at us. We froze because they are a sentinel animal and once they spook everything goes with them. Suddenly Nicky spotted a couple cow Kudu moving to our right. He quickly set up the sticks, got my son set up and told him the bull was coming. He only had a small shooting lane and when he stepped into it Nicky let out a grunt and he stopped and my son dropped him! Unbelievable! I was one excited Dad! And he was a beautiful bull.
IMG_2772.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg
DSC07353.JPEG
DSC07388.JPEG
DSC07424.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. I’m looking forward to rest of your report. Kaokoland is a really unique place.

I hunted with Jamy at his Panorama camp in ‘18. Nicky was 16 at the time and helped me get my black wildebeest. Jamy is a class guy who runs a great operation. I’d love to hunt Kaokoland due to it’s wildness.
Two nice kudu and springbok in the salt. A great start.

Congratulations on making your first safari. Sounds like it started off well. Those are great trophies. But the best part are the smiles on you and your son’s faces. What a great way to spend quality time with him. You will remember that trip forever. Or at least until you do it again. lol. Thanks for sharing with us and looking forward to the rest.

Our original plan was spend half our time in Kaokoland and then finish the hunt at Jamy's base in Panorama south of Windhoek. But we got word that there was a possibility of getting conservation permits for Giraffe, Eland, and Cape Buffalo at his Waterburg camp and would I be interested. I said absolutely since the price was a fraction of what you would normally pay. So we headed to Waterburg! What an amazing place! It's this huge plateau that rises up out of the the desert and is surrounded by big cliffs and it's huge, about 156 square miles! Jamy has the only hunting concession in the Park and has limited permits for Buffalo, Eland, and Giraffe. We were the first clients of the season and they were apologizing about not having everything in tip top shape and us having to rough it. We had brought our Idaho cold weather with us and it had been cold every morning in Kaokoland and was below freezing at Waterburg and a couple water lines to the tents had frozen. I just kinda laughed because I was in the outfitting business myself in Idaho in the Frank Church Wilderness Area and have spent may a night in a canvas wall tent. However we never had any that had bathrooms and showers in them! The first day the game commission wanted me to harvest a Giraffe to feed a village nearby so we went out and I passed on the first big bull because he was very pale and I wanted one with dark orange spots. We hunted hard that day with no luck. The next day we went out and found one I liked but he moved away into some rough country and we had to give up the stalk. Then Jamy called us and said he had a Cape Buffalo permit available if I wanted it. They needed the meat to feed some school children. I said I'd love to, and we drove to where they had watched some buffalo leave a water hole. Since it was a conservation permit he had to be less than 40" and is not exportable, but for the price and experience of hunting a buffalo I couldn't pass it up. Our tracker Elias picked up this bull's track, out of hundreds of buffalo tracks, and in soft sand! He moved slowly and steadily though the bush, stopping only briefly a couple times. We went quite a ways and then suddenly he stopped and pointed into the bush in front of us. I couldn't see a thing, but Nicky and I started crawling forward on our hands and knees very slowly. I looked up and saw this huge black thing in the brush and then it moved! Holy shit, a buffalo, about 50 yards away. We kept crawling and got really close, probably about 15-18 yards away. The buffalo laid down and Nicky got the sticks set up and said he'd get him up. The bull must of heard us because he stood up and looked at us. We froze for about 20 minutes and then he settled back down and looked away. I didn't have a real clear shot, there was brush in front of his shoulder, so Nicky ever so slowly moved the sticks about 10' to left and I stayed right behind him. I got set up and he said to shoot if I was comfortable. I shot him in the front shoulder right where Nicky had shown me to shoot them earlier. I'd borrowed a .375 H&H magnum from him. The bull didn't even act like I'd hit him! He ran by us at about 20 feet, with me blazing away and Nicky fired a round into him. I shot him twice more as he went by and a final shot as he was going thru the brush away from us. That shot ended up hitting him in the left horn! He ran about 60 yards and went down. We eased up on him and I shot him twice more until he was fully dead. Like Jamy said, it's the dead buffalo that will kill you! What a hunt! The most thrilling hunt I have ever done! They ended up driving the Land Cruiser through the bush and backed up and loaded him whole! I joked that the horn shot is the one that killed him because it knocked his head sideways and he hit a tree and broke his neck!
They really wanted me to kill a giraffe, actually 2 if we could. So we didn't slow down and kept hunting. Finally we found a big bull giraffe and started a stalk. He was in this low brushy area, but all the bushes had thorns or stickers and a couple times I thought I was going to need help to get unstuck. We'd get close and set up and he'd walk away and we'd go again, then again. It's damn hard to out walk a giraffe, particularly with my short legs! Finally we got a shot. Unfortunately, I didn't make the best shot, was off about 2", but it turned out to be fatal. Although I shot him a couple more times just to put him down. He was really old and had dark black spots. And I quickly realized that after a giraffe hits the ground is a really good time to be the client! Jamy had the taxidermist on call to come up and skin him and they packed him up and took him to the village, getting back to camp about 11:30 that night. We hunted the next morning trying to find another bull, but all we saw were cows. We drove off the plateau to another area where we got Saxon's Impala.
IMG_3142.jpg
IMG_3206.jpg

Look forward to reading more about your hunt

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thank you for posting the report. Those are some really nice trophies and it sounds like you had a great time!

Great opportunity to hunt Waterburg and take a buff and giraffe. Your son took a nice impala.

I hunted with Jamy at Eden and Nicky was about 8 years old or so. I had my teenage daughter along and he took quite a fancy to her.
When he was busy trying to entertain her, if I got too close to talk to her, he growled at me, literally.

It was hilarious!

I hunted with Jamy at Eden and Nicky was about 8 years old or so. I had my teenage daughter along and he took quite a fancy to her.
When he was busy trying to entertain her, if I got too close to talk to her, he growled at me, literally.

It was hilarious!
That is funny, I'll have to tease him about it!

Nicky is dating a gorgeous model from Texas who is also a world class taxidermist. He's a very lucky man!

Hahaha “get mounted by the best” baby.

Otteas taxidermy if anyone wants to take a “look” - if ya know what I mean.

Jokes aside she’s awesome and runs a good business. I’m in and out all the time… something keeps ya coming back lol

Our original plan was spend half our time in Kaokoland and then finish the hunt at Jamy's base in Panorama south of Windhoek. But we got word that there was a possibility of getting conservation permits for Giraffe, Eland, and Cape Buffalo at his Waterburg camp and would I be interested. I said absolutely since the price was a fraction of what you would normally pay. So we headed to Waterburg! What an amazing place! It's this huge plateau that rises up out of the the desert and is surrounded by big cliffs and it's huge, about 156 square miles! Jamy has the only hunting concession in the Park and has limited permits for Buffalo, Eland, and Giraffe. We were the first clients of the season and they were apologizing about not having everything in tip top shape and us having to rough it. We had brought our Idaho cold weather with us and it had been cold every morning in Kaokoland and was below freezing at Waterburg and a couple water lines to the tents had frozen. I just kinda laughed because I was in the outfitting business myself in Idaho in the Frank Church Wilderness Area and have spent may a night in a canvas wall tent. However we never had any that had bathrooms and showers in them! The first day the game commission wanted me to harvest a Giraffe to feed a village nearby so we went out and I passed on the first big bull because he was very pale and I wanted one with dark orange spots. We hunted hard that day with no luck. The next day we went out and found one I liked but he moved away into some rough country and we had to give up the stalk. Then Jamy called us and said he had a Cape Buffalo permit available if I wanted it. They needed the meat to feed some school children. I said I'd love to, and we drove to where they had watched some buffalo leave a water hole. Since it was a conservation permit he had to be less than 40" and is not exportable, but for the price and experience of hunting a buffalo I couldn't pass it up. Our tracker Elias picked up this bull's track, out of hundreds of buffalo tracks, and in soft sand! He moved slowly and steadily though the bush, stopping only briefly a couple times. We went quite a ways and then suddenly he stopped and pointed into the bush in front of us. I couldn't see a thing, but Nicky and I started crawling forward on our hands and knees very slowly. I looked up and saw this huge black thing in the brush and then it moved! Holy shit, a buffalo, about 50 yards away. We kept crawling and got really close, probably about 15-18 yards away. The buffalo laid down and Nicky got the sticks set up and said he'd get him up. The bull must of heard us because he stood up and looked at us. We froze for about 20 minutes and then he settled back down and looked away. I didn't have a real clear shot, there was brush in front of his shoulder, so Nicky ever so slowly moved the sticks about 10' to left and I stayed right behind him. I got set up and he said to shoot if I was comfortable. I shot him in the front shoulder right where Nicky had shown me to shoot them earlier. I'd borrowed a .375 H&H magnum from him. The bull didn't even act like I'd hit him! He ran by us at about 20 feet, with me blazing away and Nicky fired a round into him. I shot him twice more as he went by and a final shot as he was going thru the brush away from us. That shot ended up hitting him in the left horn! He ran about 60 yards and went down. We eased up on him and I shot him twice more until he was fully dead. Like Jamy said, it's the dead buffalo that will kill you! What a hunt! The most thrilling hunt I have ever done! They ended up driving the Land Cruiser through the bush and backed up and loaded him whole! I joked that the horn shot is the one that killed him because it knocked his head sideways and he hit a tree and broke his neck!
They really wanted me to kill a giraffe, actually 2 if we could. So we didn't slow down and kept hunting. Finally we found a big bull giraffe and started a stalk. He was in this low brushy area, but all the bushes had thorns or stickers and a couple times I thought I was going to need help to get unstuck. We'd get close and set up and he'd walk away and we'd go again, then again. It's damn hard to out walk a giraffe, particularly with my short legs! Finally we got a shot. Unfortunately, I didn't make the best shot, was off about 2", but it turned out to be fatal. Although I shot him a couple more times just to put him down. He was really old and had dark black spots. And I quickly realized that after a giraffe hits the ground is a really good time to be the client! Jamy had the taxidermist on call to come up and skin him and they packed him up and took him to the village, getting back to camp about 11:30 that night. We hunted the next morning trying to find another bull, but all we saw were cows. We drove off the plateau to another area where we got Saxon's Impala. View attachment 616206View attachment 616207
Is that Nicky with the hair?

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for your report !

Ok, I'm back to finish my report. We travelled from the Waterburg Plateau to Jamy's home base at Panorama. They have about 200,000 acres there that is high fenced, but it's a lot of ground. We started seeing game shortly after we went through the gate. Wildebeest, zebra, giraffe, springbok, and Eland. Then we saw a big white Rhino cow with a little baby. He was so cute! The next morning we went out and decided to go for a little walk. Nicky looked up on this rocky ridge and a Gemsbok was standing there looking down at us. I nicknamed him the double WOW Gemsbok. The first wow was when I saw how heavy his bases were and the second was when he turned and I saw how long he was. Since he was watching us we just continued traveling along parallel with the ridge until we got out of sight and then came back along the base of the ridge. We snuck in until we were in shooting range and Nicky spotted him on top of the ridge. I kinda misjudged the range and held about 4" under the top of his back, shot, and nothing. I repeated it and still nothing. I knew I must be shooting over him. He very patiently stood there and my next shot dropped him and he rolled off down through the rocks. We climbed up to him and he was gorgeous! He'd hung up in some brush so we started taking pictures and the tracker Elias headed back to the lodge and gathered up several more guys to help get him off the mountain. I apologized to them for shooting him on top of the ridge in a rock pile, but they made short work of him. It really wasn't that bad, where I hunt here in Idaho if you can see the truck and it's all downhill then that's an easy pack out! He ended up having almost 8 1/4" bases and 37" horns. He chipped a bit off one horn when he rolled through the rocks, but it just adds character.
DSC07515.JPEG
DSC07521.JPEG
DSC07538.JPEG
IMG_3277.jpg

We spent the rest of the day trying to get a Red Hartebeest for my son and then that evening saw a very unique Gemsbok cow that I was really tempted to shoot. The Hartebeest were out in the open and in a poor spot for a stalk so we left them to come back the next morning. They were still out in some pretty open country but we started a stalk on them. We walked quite a ways and Nicky stopped several times and we just sat down and waited for things to move to a better spot. One time we were squatted down and the big Rhino and her baby walked by at about 40 yards! We held very still so she wouldn't see us! Don't see that hunting in Idaho! After a 2 1/2 hour stalk and lots of crawling Nicky got Saxon set up on the sticks, but they couldn't get a shot. They stood there for a long time just waiting. Finally the Hartebeest got in a shootable position and Saxon made a great shot. He ran about 50 yards and was standing there about to keel over and Saxon put a finisher into him. Man what a stud! I hadn't been too interested in them because I thought they had wimpy kinda horns, but this guy was heavy and long! His bases were almost 12" and he was 24" long.
When we went out that evening I'd decided to take the second Gemsbok, she was just too unique to pass up. Really long horns that swept back and out! So we went out that evening and got really lucky and found her in amongst some others. We made the stalk and Nicky got the sticks set up and I only had a split second for the shot because she was getting nervous, but I made it count and she ran a short distance and fell over. The closer we got to her the cooler she became! She was also really old, her teeth were worn almost off and she had a very gray face. She ended up having one horn at 44" and the other at 43", I haven't measured her bases yet. Things were pretty tough at Panorama for the wildlife, they hadn't gotten any rain for the year, and what was normally grasslands was just dry dirt. A lot of animals were suffering so I didn't feel too bad helping thin the herd so some younger one might survive.
DSC07438.JPEG
DSC07473.JPEG
DSC07504.JPEG

The last day we drove around looking for Warthogs, but they apparently get hit hard during droughts and were hard to find. We did find a female Springbok that had been wounded somehow and Nicky and Saxon made a stalk on her and Saxon made a great 280 yard shot on her and dropped her. Nice to put her out of her misery. We saw one Warthog but he had a broken tusk so we passed. Then as we were driving back to the lodge we came across another one. Nicky and Saxon jumped out and got on him, but didn't have much time. Saxon missed him, but it was kinda fitting. Gotta leave something to come back for!
I booked this hunt over 2 years ago. I had several heart attacks in December of 2021 and this was a bucket list trip for me. And it so far exceeded my expectations that I don't have the right words to describe how great it was. All our animals were exceptional and the stalks and hunts felt like they were meant to be! Every time I'd think it couldn't get any better, Nicky would raise the bar! Jamy runs a top
notch outfit and I'm already planning my next trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adipose

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.