NAMIBIA: May 2024 With Kowas Adventure Safaris

Reg26

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Post 1: The Lead Up

I have been back almost four weeks now from my first African safari and it is time to try and share my trip with you. This first post will be mostly background and the lead-up to the actual hunting, but there will be plenty of hunting in the follow-on posts!

I grew up hunting on the east coast of the US, mostly deer and smaller game as well as dove. I loved it and would hunt any time I got the chance. As I got into my late teens my outdoor passion turned more towards offshore fishing than hunting thanks to the influence of two uncles. I had one uncle that fished out of NC and was a bottom fisherman for grouper, snapper, and the like. My other uncle fished out of Freeport, TX and was a troller for king fish, mahi/dolphin, wahoo, etc.. My love of fishing was so strong that it influenced my choice of profession and I went into a field that I knew would always keep me near the ocean.

Eight years into my career and five years into my marriage I would buy my first boat. We were still DINK (dual-income, no kids) so time and money were not in too short a supply. Two years later we would make a good bit of cash on a home sale (2006) and it was time to trade in boat #1 for larger boat #2. Then about three years further on we had our first child. It wasn't long before time management became a much bigger issue. I felt guilty if I wasn't taking the boat out fishing on nice weekends, but I also felt guilty if I was. It didn't help that fuel was about $4 a gallon (much higher if you got it at a marina), so a $1000 weekend was easy to achieve unless you had plenty of fishing buddies willing to share the cost. With our second child on the way I got out of the boat business around 2008/2009. The next decade would be the most demanding portion of my career as well as the most demanding portion of our child raising years.

In the late 2000-teens I started getting back into firearms. First mainly early S&W revolvers and AR rifles (how's that for a combination), and eventually back into proper hunting rifles. Then came 2020 and COVID. Just something about that time really got me interested in hunting again. I started back deer hunting, this time in the mid-west, with an eye towards working up to hunting out west for pronghorn, elk, and mule deer. The thought of an African safari had never really appealed to me. I can't tell you exactly why. Perhaps it was the amount of travel, or the perceived high cost, or the inability to bring home the meat that resulted from your harvest. But the more I listened to podcasts like The Backcountry Hunting Podcast, The Big Game Hunting Podcast, and Ron Spomer Outdoors, all of which I started listening to for the western US hunting content, the more the fire got stoked to try an African safari. The opportunity (guarantee) for a large variety of game for the same price, or less, that it would cost to do a guided elk hunt (no guarantee of success or drawing a tag) was probably the biggest selling point.

So it came to pass that my friend, his son, and I booked our first safari in the spring of 2023 for May of 2024. Based on Joseph Von Benedikt's outstanding experience with @Kowas Adventure Safaris that is who we booked with. Thirteen days, including travel, for a total of nine hunting days in Namibia hunting plains game. My list at booking included kudu, impala, springbuck, and oryx, along with red hartebeest and warthog if the opportunity presented itself. (spoiler, the final tally would include all these and more).

The year from spring of 2023 to May of 2024 was spent settling on which rifles to take, what airline/route to take, what clothes to buy/take, how to transport my firearms, and consuming tons of Africahunting.com and YouTube safari content. We also made our way down to Dallas for DSC 2024 to meet the Kowas crew in person, which was terrific and only solidified that we had picked a first class outfit.

For rifles I settled on taking two, a Winchester Super Grade in 6.8 Western and a Sako in 9.3x62, carried in a Tuffpak 1050 case. We didn't want to go all the way to Qatar and back to Namibia, nor did we want to stay overnight in Johannesburg, so we settled on the US - Frankfurt - Windhoek route. My hunting mates would be on Lufthansa from the US to Germany, and I was on United. I will tell you that of the two, United was much easier to work with and they did not charge an extra fee (several hundred dollars) to handle firearms like Lufthansa does.

I departed from Columbus, Ohio and I will tell you that I knew much more about traveling to Namibia with firearms than the United ticket agent. She was super friendly and we got through it without a problem, but it was obviously a first for her. :) The first thing she told me was that I needed a visa for Namibia. I assured her this was not the case and she eventually found the part where it said this was only the case if I were planning on staying greater than 90 days. Hurdle #1 cleared. It should be noted that I was plenty early for my flights and there were no other people waiting, so stress level was pretty low at this point. Next she read that she had to verify that the firearms were empty. She had me take one out of the Tuffpak and soft case. I showed her that the bolt was stored separately from the gun and that the magazine was empty. She was satisfied with that and didn't even ask me to take out the second rifle. I was also re-packed the Tuffpak myself, which is different than a lot of people's experiences, particularly with TSA. I signed the "this gun is not loaded" card that went inside the Tuffpak with the rifles and locked it up then she sent it back. I stayed outside the security area for about another 30 minutes anticipating that I might get a call from TSA wanting to look in the case. I never did get a call. I should note that I had AirTags in my rifle case, ammo case, and suitcase (which contained the ammo case). This is a must in my opinion as it gave me comfort that everything made each flight. My bags were checked all the way to Windhoek. I did not have to pick them up in either Dulles or Frankfurt. The next time I would handle them would be at destination.

I met up with my hunting buddies in Frankfurt after an overnight flight from Dulles for me and an overnight flight from St Louis for them. We spent all day in the Lufthansa lounge, where we were able to relax, eat, and take showers while waiting for our final overnight flight to Windhoek. That shower alone was worth $100 and made two days of travel much more comfortable.

We landed in Windhoek on Tuesday morning at around 8:30 am local. Jacques from Kowas was waiting for us outside of customs. All bags and firearms arrived without issue. The firearms registration with the Namibian police was pretty quick and easy, and of course Jacques was there to help with the process which was basically verifying serial numbers. After that it was a short 1.5 hour ride to the Kowas farm. After getting settled and a bite to eat, we verified our rifles were still zeroed and did a sunset game drive (non-hunting) to wrap up the first day in country.

In the next entry the hunting begins!

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg

Tuffpak loaded with two rifles in waterproof soft cases, surrounded by two more soft cases that I would actually use in Namibia, and a tripod.
IMG_3473.jpeg

My seat mates for the overnight flight to Germany! :)
IMG_3476.jpeg
IMG_3477.jpeg

Discover airlines departing Frankfurt for Windhoek.
IMG_3482.jpeg

Debarking in Windhoek.
IMG_3492.jpeg
IMG_3495.jpeg
IMG_3499.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3505.jpeg
IMG_3503.jpeg
IMG_3502.jpeg

Arrived at Kowas!
IMG_3518.jpeg
IMG_3523.jpeg
IMG_3530.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg
IMG_3539.jpeg
IMG_3540.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your photos, the Goldilocks line, "Someone's been sleeping in my bed" comes to mind.

The Strausses are a wonderful family and Kowas is a great hunting destination. I know you had a fantastic time. Looking forward to your report and photos.

Good looking dog in your picture! Looking forward to the hunt report.

Post 2: Let the Hunting Begin

Before turning in for the first night we agreed that breakfast would be at 6:00 for a 6:30 departure. If memory serves sunrise was occurring between 6:30 and 7:00. The Kowas farm is 17,000 acres with an additional 350,000+ acres of hunting rights on land in the surrounding 40 km radius, so drive times to the selected hunting location for the day can be a few minutes to almost an hour.

Time difference and body clock says that I should have had a hard time getting up, but I woke up at 3:30 am and actually had a hard time getting back to sleep. I don't think it had anything to do with jet lag; purely the excitement of what was to come. After probably and hour I did finally drift back off to sleep, but when my alarm went off at 5:15 I had zero trouble getting up! After a shower I headed to the common area to get some coffee and just listen to the area come to life. Probably one of the most unexpected things I learned was what an impala sounds like! Talk about a sound that does not match the body...IYKYK. Wow.

On our first day the father and son hunting team stayed on Kowas with PH Matheus and I headed east with PH Jacques and tracker Joseph to an adjacent property. On the way to our first glassing spot we saw lots of wildlife including warthog, giraffe, oryx, Hartman's zebras, and steenbuck. After what seemed like many kilometers of riding along dirt and rock roads, getting deep into the interior of the property, we came the base of a small hill where Jacques stopped the Land Cruiser.

The morning was cool, but not cold, and of course almost no humidity, however the cloudless sky would soon bring African warmth to all things not in the shade! At the top of the hill we could easily glass for several miles (yes I am switching from km to miles) to the southeast, south, and west.

From our perch Jacques and Joseph were soon pointing out numerous red hartebeest and eland groups. I could follow along with my own binoculars but what I could absolutely not do was judge mature from not-mature, trophy from average, or broken from intact. Their ability to judge animals from miles, as those who have seen it in person know, is truly remarkable! It was pretty easy to discriminate a blue bull eland from the group, even a great distance. We did see at least one of these, but it would not be our target today.

Jacques and Joseph spotted a lone red hartebeest bull off to the south-southeast. This guy was perhaps a little over two miles from our glassing position, and it was probably between 9:00 and 10:00 by this point, the full-sun heat slowly rising. Jacques and I set out to stalk this lone male as Joseph kept and eye on him from the hill top. To be successful we would not only have to avoid the bull seeing our approach, but we would also have to avoid the dozens of other hartebeest eyes that were between us and our target.

Before we would get to our bull he would bed down in the shade. This reduced the likelihood of his seeing us on our stalk in, but it also prevented us from being able to see him from any appreciable distance. We knew from Joseph approximately which trees he had bedded down near, but his precise location was unknown. I walked quite a distance in a low crouch, trying to follow in Jacques' footsteps while also keeping behind his profile.

I would say that I was in above average shape for this trip but there are a couple of things you just don't know until you're there. The first is that this area of Namibia is almost as high as Denver, so if you are coming from near sea level then you will notice the difference in oxygen concentration when you start to climb rocks straight up hill, similar to taking two stairs at a time up a 20 story building. Also you, or at least I did, tend to breath very shallowly when stalking as part of your "stealth." This, along with the excitement and the low squat walking, will definitely get your heart rate up!

We were very close to where we knew the red hartebeest had bedded, though we didn't know precisely where he was. Jacques had me stand still while he slowly stood up on a termite mound to get a better look. He hadn't gotten to a full upright position before coming back down and saying that he was right there, indicating just ahead of us on the other side of the waist to shoulder-height brush. He quickly got the shooting sticks setup while telling me that the bull was going to stand imminently.

That's when I made my first mistake; trying to look over the brush and spot the bull myself while putting my rifle up instead of just focusing on the rifle and where it would be pointing. By the time I spotted the bull, he had already started to move from our left to right quickly at maybe 50 yards. He quickly picked up speed but did not launch into an all out run. He knew something was there, but not what, and he had not gotten our scent.

We began a game of cat and mouse as we would slowly get to 250-300 yards from the red hartebeest before he would move off another 100 yards. Rinse and repeat, until he finally moved off to a much healthier distance. By now it was getting very warm and we decided not to run him any more, and so we headed back to lunch and a rest.

My hunting partners would get back to the Kowas barn a little bit after us, having successfully taken a nice black wildebeest. We had a nice lunch and agreed to re-assemble at 3:00 for the afternoon hunt. This allowed for a couple of hours to nap, which I absolutely took advantage of.

When I emerged for the afternoon hunt clouds had actually moved in covering much of the sky and making it quite comfortable. We were told this was unusual for Namibia this time of year, but it would be a pattern that would remain for the majority of our stay there.

That afternoon we returned to the same glassing hill we had used in the morning. After some time glassing, we (they) picked up a bachelor group of four good red hartebeest to our west, slowly grazing from our right to left at probably a mile. We watched them for a while, between periodic scans of the surrounding plains, and were close to committing to a stalk when a waterbuck we had not seen on a slightly lower hill in the direction of the bachelor group spotted us. He trotted off his hill towards our bachelor group and they were convinced to move off away from us as a result.

As we continued to glass all the various hartebeest surround our position, of which there were many, Jacques and Joseph again located our large bull from the morning. This time more due south and probably a mile and a half away. We quickly moved down the hill and started a stalk. With our travel time and time spent glassing it was probably after 5:00 at this point, and the sun was setting at about 6:30, so we moved very quickly to cover the ground.

The wind was and would not prove to be an issue as we closed in, however the two younger male red hartebeest directly between us and our target would be. We were quickly running out of day light and there was no way to prevent these young bulls from seeing us. The only questions were how would they react and which way would they move. It was this first day that I learned another thing about animal behavior here in Namibia (everywhere?), and that is that they become much less skittish at sunset.

These two young males were at about our 1 o'clock and our target was probably 250 yards or more further on in the exact same direction. They did indeed see us, but we were lucky and they moved further to our right instead of running directly away. This cleared the way for us to make our final approach on our bull. We quickly closed the distance and he also started moving slowly to our right.

We were within 200 yards and Jacques threw up the sticks, setup to catch the hartebeest coming into an opening between some chest high brush as he still moved from our left to right on a line to intercept the two other males we had pushed. Our bull cleared and Jacques whistled, stopping him momentarily. He was saying "take him" simultaneously with trigger breaking on the 6.8 Western. The red hartebeest went straight down in his tracks, but he also let out a moan immediately afterwards. I had already reloaded and Jacques told me to be ready for him to jump up as we quickly approached because that moan could mean that he was hit high.

We were to him within a couple of minutes. He was still alive, but could not get up. My shot had not been high, but had been forward (to my right), catching him where the neck met the shoulder. Jacques had me put another shot into his vitals, which quickly dispatched him. Time to shake hands and celebrate a trophy bull that had given us a full day of great hunting!

For those interested, I was shooting hand-loads with 160 grain Hammer HHT bullets going about 2925 fps.

The cloudy sunset made for some great photos. When we got back I was happy to learn that my hunting partners had taken a nice impala during their first afternoon hunt.

Hunting Day 2 next time!

IMG_3543.jpeg

Black Wildebeest taken by my hunting partners in the morning.

IMG_3549.jpeg

Looking south-southeast from our hill

IMG_3550.jpeg

Jacques and Joseph glassing south.

IMG_3552.jpeg

Glassing west

IMG_3556.jpeg
IMG_3557.jpeg

Texting for an Uber...

IMG_3581.jpeg
IMG_3593.jpeg

Jacques said I don't smile enough in pictures :) I told him he needs to learn some jokes! :cool: This is my happy face. The cell phone makes this scene look much lighter than it was!

This is so awesome. It is fun seeing a hunt report for a place that I will be to shortly. I will be back to hunt there for my second time in about a month. I have one question for you that I am dying to know, are the meerkats still coming around camp and if so, are they friendly enough to interact with still? That was one of my highlights of my very first trip to the African continent, something that will never leave my memory.

Thank you for the details and the play by play-a proper hunting report so far! Keep it coming, excited for more

Nice old tattered eared worn down hartebeest bull! Congratulations

This is so awesome. It is fun seeing a hunt report for a place that I will be to shortly. I will be back to hunt there for my second time in about a month. I have one question for you that I am dying to know, are the meerkats still coming around camp and if so, are they friendly enough to interact with still? That was one of my highlights of my very first trip to the African continent, something that will never leave my memory.
Mike,
Unfortunately no. I asked about them because I had seen pictures of them on their site, but they have all moved away from the immediate area of the houses and returned to a "wild" state. I did see some of them, but they were not approachable.

Good luck with your next hunt! We both know it is going to be a blast!

Post 2: Let the Hunting Begin

Before turning in for the first night we agreed that breakfast would be at 6:00 for a 6:30 departure. If memory serves sunrise was occurring between 6:30 and 7:00. The Kowas farm is 17,000 acres with an additional 350,000+ acres of hunting rights on land in the surrounding 40 km radius, so drive times to the selected hunting location for the day can be a few minutes to almost an hour.

Time difference and body clock says that I should have had a hard time getting up, but I woke up at 3:30 am and actually had a hard time getting back to sleep. I don't think it had anything to do with jet lag; purely the excitement of what was to come. After probably and hour I did finally drift back off to sleep, but when my alarm went off at 5:15 I had zero trouble getting up! After a shower I headed to the common area to get some coffee and just listen to the area come to life. Probably one of the most unexpected things I learned was what an impala sounds like! Talk about a sound that does not match the body...IYKYK. Wow.

On our first day the father and son hunting team stayed on Kowas with PH Matheus and I headed east with PH Jacques and tracker Joseph to an adjacent property. On the way to our first glassing spot we saw lots of wildlife including warthog, giraffe, oryx, Hartman's zebras, and steenbuck. After what seemed like many kilometers of riding along dirt and rock roads, getting deep into the interior of the property, we came the base of a small hill where Jacques stopped the Land Cruiser.

The morning was cool, but not cold, and of course almost no humidity, however the cloudless sky would soon bring African warmth to all things not in the shade! At the top of the hill we could easily glass for several miles (yes I am switching from km to miles) to the southeast, south, and west.

From our perch Jacques and Joseph were soon pointing out numerous red hartebeest and eland groups. I could follow along with my own binoculars but what I could absolutely not do was judge mature from not-mature, trophy from average, or broken from intact. Their ability to judge animals from miles, as those who have seen it in person know, is truly remarkable! It was pretty easy to discriminate a blue bull eland from the group, even a great distance. We did see at least one of these, but it would not be our target today.

Jacques and Joseph spotted a lone red hartebeest bull off to the south-southeast. This guy was perhaps a little over two miles from our glassing position, and it was probably between 9:00 and 10:00 by this point, the full-sun heat slowly rising. Jacques and I set out to stalk this lone male as Joseph kept and eye on him from the hill top. To be successful we would not only have to avoid the bull seeing our approach, but we would also have to avoid the dozens of other hartebeest eyes that were between us and our target.

Before we would get to our bull he would bed down in the shade. This reduced the likelihood of his seeing us on our stalk in, but it also prevented us from being able to see him from any appreciable distance. We knew from Joseph approximately which trees he had bedded down near, but his precise location was unknown. I walked quite a distance in a low crouch, trying to follow in Jacques' footsteps while also keeping behind his profile.

I would say that I was in above average shape for this trip but there are a couple of things you just don't know until you're there. The first is that this area of Namibia is almost as high as Denver, so if you are coming from near sea level then you will notice the difference in oxygen concentration when you start to climb rocks straight up hill, similar to taking two stairs at a time up a 20 story building. Also you, or at least I did, tend to breath very shallowly when stalking as part of your "stealth." This, along with the excitement and the low squat walking, will definitely get your heart rate up!

We were very close to where we knew the red hartebeest had bedded, though we didn't know precisely where he was. Jacques had me stand still while he slowly stood up on a termite mound to get a better look. He hadn't gotten to a full upright position before coming back down and saying that he was right there, indicating just ahead of us on the other side of the waist to shoulder-height brush. He quickly got the shooting sticks setup while telling me that the bull was going to stand imminently.

That's when I made my first mistake; trying to look over the brush and spot the bull myself while putting my rifle up instead of just focusing on the rifle and where it would be pointing. By the time I spotted the bull, he had already started to move from our left to right quickly at maybe 50 yards. He quickly picked up speed but did not launch into an all out run. He knew something was there, but not what, and he had not gotten our scent.

We began a game of cat and mouse as we would slowly get to 250-300 yards from the red hartebeest before he would move off another 100 yards. Rinse and repeat, until he finally moved off to a much healthier distance. By now it was getting very warm and we decided not to run him any more, and so we headed back to lunch and a rest.

My hunting partners would get back to the Kowas barn a little bit after us, having successfully taken a nice black wildebeest. We had a nice lunch and agreed to re-assemble at 3:00 for the afternoon hunt. This allowed for a couple of hours to nap, which I absolutely took advantage of.

When I emerged for the afternoon hunt clouds had actually moved in covering much of the sky and making it quite comfortable. We were told this was unusual for Namibia this time of year, but it would be a pattern that would remain for the majority of our stay there.

That afternoon we returned to the same glassing hill we had used in the morning. After some time glassing, we (they) picked up a bachelor group of four good red hartebeest to our west, slowly grazing from our right to left at probably a mile. We watched them for a while, between periodic scans of the surrounding plains, and were close to committing to a stalk when a waterbuck we had not seen on a slightly lower hill in the direction of the bachelor group spotted us. He trotted off his hill towards our bachelor group and they were convinced to move off away from us as a result.

As we continued to glass all the various hartebeest surround our position, of which there were many, Jacques and Joseph again located our large bull from the morning. This time more due south and probably a mile and a half away. We quickly moved down the hill and started a stalk. With our travel time and time spent glassing it was probably after 5:00 at this point, and the sun was setting at about 6:30, so we moved very quickly to cover the ground.

The wind was and would not prove to be an issue as we closed in, however the two younger male red hartebeest directly between us and our target would be. We were quickly running out of day light and there was no way to prevent these young bulls from seeing us. The only questions were how would they react and which way would they move. It was this first day that I learned another thing about animal behavior here in Namibia (everywhere?), and that is that they become much less skittish at sunset.

These two young males were at about our 1 o'clock and our target was probably 250 yards or more further on in the exact same direction. They did indeed see us, but we were lucky and they moved further to our right instead of running directly away. This cleared the way for us to make our final approach on our bull. We quickly closed the distance and he also started moving slowly to our right.

We were within 200 yards and Jacques threw up the sticks, setup to catch the hartebeest coming into an opening between some chest high brush as he still moved from our left to right on a line to intercept the two other males we had pushed. Our bull cleared and Jacques whistled, stopping him momentarily. He was saying "take him" simultaneously with trigger breaking on the 6.8 Western. The red hartebeest went straight down in his tracks, but he also let out a moan immediately afterwards. I had already reloaded and Jacques told me to be ready for him to jump up as we quickly approached because that moan could mean that he was hit high.

We were to him within a couple of minutes. He was still alive, but could not get up. My shot had not been high, but had been forward (to my right), catching him where the neck met the shoulder. Jacques had me put another shot into his vitals, which quickly dispatched him. Time to shake hands and celebrate a trophy bull that had given us a full day of great hunting!

For those interested, I was shooting hand-loads with 160 grain Hammer HHT bullets going about 2925 fps.

The cloudy sunset made for some great photos. When we got back I was happy to learn that my hunting partners had taken a nice impala during their first afternoon hunt.

Hunting Day 2 next time!

View attachment 612957
Black Wildebeest taken by my hunting partners in the morning.

View attachment 612958
Looking south-southeast from our hill

View attachment 612959
Jacques and Joseph glassing south.

View attachment 612960
Glassing west

View attachment 612962View attachment 612963
Texting for an Uber...

View attachment 612964View attachment 612965

Jacques said I don't smile enough in pictures :) I told him he needs to learn some jokes! :cool: This is my happy face. The cell phone makes this scene look much lighter than it was!
Looks like an awesome hunt. Congrats!

@Reg26 , I still want to know about the dog in your lap in your avatar! And more about your hunt!

@Reg26 , I still want to know about the dog in your lap in your avatar! And more about your hunt!
Oh, the dog in my avatar is Chester, my chocolate lab. I can send you more pictures of him than my own children. :) I thought your first comment was about the Jack Russell by the fire in the safari pictures.

I will continue my report tonight when I'm home where I can attach the accompanying pictures.

Post 3: Day 2 of Hunting

The morning of our second day of hunting followed the same routine: up at ~5:15, coffee and listening to the day come alive, 6:00 breakfast, and 6:30 depart for the hunting area.

On this morning Jacques, Joseph, and I would head west almost 40 km to one of the western-most properties that Kowas hunts. The morning started out with a somewhat cloudy sky and a gentle breeze, making it very comfortable. This property had some of the largest mountains of any we would hunt and was known to have good impala and kudu.

We drove and glassed extensively throughout the morning. We saw tons of wildlife including impala, springbuck, blesbuck, zebra, and kudu, but mostly not the mature shooters we were looking for. Jacques also spotted some very large leopard tracks, which he stopped to investigate and photograph.

As midday drew nearer the clouds would dissipate and we would get more sun along with rising temperatures. We put on two stalks for potentially promising impala, but both would be short lived. In the first case they were already running from the trucks presence and we still attempted to catch up on foot, but they were not seen again.

In the second group stalked, they were traveling with/among a very large group of springbuck, so there were plenty of eyes to avoid. Using bushes and small trees for some cover, we were able to get within range of a shooter. We were preparing to use a low heavy branched bush as a gun rest and attempt a kneeling or sitting shot in order to utilize a shooting lane below some other tree and bush limbs when our target moved off again to our left and into open ground. We were not able to get within range of that group again.

After a couple of more hours of driving and glassing, I was becoming more certain that we would go back to the farm empty handed for the morning hunting session. We were actually transiting a road very close to the exit of the property when Joseph spotted a lone impala male across a field to the right of the road. Joseph stopped the truck and Jacques quickly verified that it was a shooter. We got out of the back of the truck and Jacques had Joseph drive on down the road so that the impala's attention would stay on the truck and not where it had stopped.

We had some cover from the roadside to the edge of the field closest to the road. The impala was probably another 125 yards on the far side of the field feeding in some tall grass. We were seemingly unnoticed and Jacques setup the sticks. I easily picked up the impala in the scope but the grass he was feeding in was almost as tall as his back. That said, I could make out enough of his body that I felt comfortable taking the shot through the grass.

He was broadside to me facing to my right. I took the shot and he fell straight down at the shot. We watched for a couple of minutes and quickly crossed the field to where he laid. He had been quartering away more than I had realized so the shot had entered further back along his right flank and exited out his left shoulder. He was a beautiful ram and the 6.8 Western with the Hammer 160 grain HHT had done a great job.

We took the impala back to the property owners skinning shed and dressed him out there before heading back to the Kowas farm for lunch and rest.

IMG_3610.jpeg
IMG_3614.jpeg
IMG_3618.jpeg

Some of the beautiful mountains and a dry river bed.

IMG_3621.jpeg
IMG_3622.jpeg
IMG_3624.jpeg
IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3630.jpeg
IMG_3634.jpeg
IMG_3652.jpeg

IMG_3665.jpeg

After lunch and a short nap we headed back out at 4:00. We would be staying on the Kowas property for the afternoon hunt and so we had a much shorter trip to get to our first glassing point. For this hunt Jacques took us to the western edge of their property and a nice ridge that allowed glassing to the west, south, and southeast.

The clouds were back and it was a beautiful and comfortable afternoon heading into evening. From our vantage point atop the hill we could see numerous oryx and kudu on the western side. Unfortunately none of these were the maturity that we were looking for.

The view to the south was full of almost every variety of animal you could expect in Namibia. Kudu, springbuck, oryx, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, zebra, and giraffe. The beauty and grandeur of that vista was truly awe inspiring. After scanning through all the animals and taking in the view for probably close to an hour we decided to make our way down the south slope to see if we could spot a worthy oryx or springbuck.

The zebras, giraffes, and red hartebeests were all much further out, so they would not pose a problem to our stalk. The wildebeest were another story. We had to be careful not to accidentally spook them and have them run off all of the other game.

Our first potential targets we came across were a pair of good springbuck males bedded down. They were 100 yards or less to our right as we moved through the low bushes that dominated this terrain. We pivoted, setup the sticks, and I got into position with the 6.8 Western. They could see us but we were not enough of a concern at the moment to get them to stand up. Jacques told me to stay on them and he was going to try and get them to stand.

He whistled at them and they did stand up, but they stayed close to one another, always overlapping and never giving me a clean shot on just one of them. Any shot I had would certainly have risked hitting both. They milled around for a bit, but eventually bolted off.

We continued our southerly stalk, stopping frequently to avoid being seen by the numerous wildebeest. Before long we came across another pair of springbuck that were feeding to our right, moving from south to north. There were also a number of oryx in the bush spotted open area, but none of them were shooters.

As the springbucks fed behind a large group of bushes, moving from our left to right, Jacques setup the sticks and I took up watch on the right edge of the bushes waiting for the springbuck to clear. Minutes passed and the springbuck grazed back out from behind the bushes on the left side not the right. A quick pivot of the sticks and I was setup on the lead ram, now moving right to left slowly. He was clear of any other animals and I had a clear broadside shot of his left side. I took the shot and he dropped straight down, never moving again that I could see.

The sun was setting at the time I took the shot and it was now that I witnessed some of the strangest animal behavior I could imagine. At the shot the wildebeest in the area did take off running, but no other animals did. The second springbuck didn't even seem to be flustered. He walked over, checked out his buddy, and continued to feed in the general area. The oryx didn't run either. Several that were closest came over and looked at the springbuck I had just shot, and many more that had been further south came walking into the same clearing to see what was going on.

It was so unusual that Jacques and I both just stood and watched for some time. In fact, we had our cell phones out taking video of the animals now all around us. Jacques asked me a couple of times if I didn't want a second springbuck (the second one happened to be a copper springbuck). I probably should have taken both! We also wanted to see if there were any big, mature oryx in the new group that was now coming to the party.

With light now fading fast and no big oryx seen, we finally just started walking towards the down springbuck. You'd have to have been there to believe how close we got to these animals before they finally spooked. It was amazing.

Another great day of hunting, with two more wonderful trophies to show for it, was now in the books. Dinner that evening started with impala and red hartebeest tenderloin appetizers followed by black wildebeest steaks for the main course, all from the previous day's hunt. After dinner were the required springbuck shots to celebrate my latest trophy!

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_3671.jpeg
IMG_3672.jpeg
IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3691.jpeg
IMG_3702.jpeg
IMG_3700.jpeg

Crème de menthe and Amarula, yummy!

Tomorrow we start hunting the bigger boys!

Post 4: Day 3 of Hunting (morning)

The morning of day three started the same as the previous two, but gone were the early morning clouds of yesterday. A very cool and comfortable stillness greeted us as we packed the Land Cruiser for another decent length drive to this morning's hunting ground. We would go west again, another 40 km like the day before, but to hunt the property on the opposite side of the main road from where I had taken the impala. These two properties are owned by a pair of brothers.

Our goal today would be to locate, and hopefully take, a trophy kudu. Kowas does not like to start a hunter out with kudu. Because of the difficulty, both in terrain and just getting in to position to take a shooter bull, these hunts can often take days. In fact, they normally like to allocate 2-3 days of your hunt to kudu if one is on your list.

After perhaps a 40-45 minute drive filled with story telling and conversation, we turned off the main road onto the beginnings of a small dirt road that would enter the hunting parcel. This access was protected by a locked gate as normal and Joseph jumped out with the keys to remove the padlock and let the truck through. After watching Joseph for what seemed like 5-10 minutes attempting to get the lock open, Jacques jumped out of the cab to assist. It was to no avail. A quick call to the owner verified that the lock had been found broken the day prior and replaced with a new lock, to which we did not have a key.

Jacques said that someone would be bringing the correct key for the gate, but that the first spot that he normally began glassing from was only about half a mile from the gate, and that the two of us could walk on ahead while Joseph waited for the key. I grabbed my Sako in 9.3x62 and we put the plan motion, following the dirt road to the north as it rose at a gently climb to the base of a small rocky hill. We made quick work of the climb and were soon glassing the surrounding land.

We first focused to the west and immediately saw kudu activity in the area, including several bulls. After careful perusal by Jacques all of these bulls were deemed to be immature and thus not ready for taking. We carefully worked our way around to the east side of the hill and stated glassing into the rising sun.

The east too had plenty of kudu activity. I will note at this point that this would be a common theme. We saw tons of kudu during our entire safari and Jacques remarked that these numbers were the most they had seen in many, many years. This area of Namibia has not been as hard hit by drought as a lot of the rest of the country, and it has also been some time since there has been a large disease outbreak to really knock down the numbers.

IMG_3711.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg
IMG_3715.jpeg

One of several immature bulls on the west side of our perch.

Video of two of the bulls to the west.

IMG_3718.jpeg

Moving around to the east side.

It didn't take long for Jacques to zero in on a mature bull that was in full rut, following a cow and her calf on a much lower hill perhaps half-a-mile away. The bull had two other younger bull cow-suitors that were bringing up the rear to contend with. I sat and watched as the mature bull alternated between nosing the scent of the cow and turning to charge his two would-be competitors. Jacques told me that the cow would soon grow tired of the chase and would make her way to the hills, bringing the whole group towards us. I thought would probably play out over the next hour or more, but it all happened much faster than that.

Within a few minutes the whole group, led by the cow-of-the-hour, was quickly making their way in our direction. The excitement grew and we quickly surveyed the terrain, each silently calculating where we should setup. Jacques turned to me and asked if I wanted to utilize the sticks or if I would prefer to use one of the many large rocks in the area as a rest. I quickly chose the rock option and Jacques pealed off his puffy jacket to let me use it as a protective cushion on top of one of the rocks.

The scenario was playing out just as Jacques had predicted, if only earlier than either one of us would have thought. Jacques ranged a dirt road below us that lay between us and the advancing kudu conga line of kudu. He let me know that the road ranged at 250 yards. I set my CDS dial for just slightly over 200 yards to account for taking a shot on our side of the road and for the angle of the shot.

IMG_3724.jpeg
IMG_3725.jpeg

Photos of my rock rest and the dirt road below.

Two short clips of the kudu approaching spliced together. I knew Jacques had my phone but I had no idea he was filming.

I had a solid perch and settled in waiting for the target bull to follow the cow across the road and into a clear shooting position. They did just as expected and when the bull entered a clear area for taking a shot Jacques let out a loud call to get him to pause. He did, facing right to left from my perspective and slightly quartering towards us. I put a shot on the point of his shoulder. When the scope came back down I got him back in the scope and was tracking him as he ran in back in the opposite direction.

Only I wasn't tracking the right bull. I had picked up one of the smaller bulls that had been following. Jacques quickly told me I was on the wrong bull and that my bull had gone straight down. I quickly found him in the scope, laying on the ground on his right side, now head to my right. He was still kicking but unable to get up. Jacques said when I had a good shot, to put another one in his chest. I did and he quickly went still.

IMG_3727.jpeg

Zoomed in on the down bull from the hill

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

The exit wound of my first shot, and the entrance wound of my second shot, using 258 grain Hammer Hunter bullets.

IMG_3734.jpeg
IMG_3735.jpeg

A view looking back from where the kudu bull fell to the hill from where I shot.

IMG_3744.jpeg

Joseph helping prop the kudu up. He would arrive soon after the bull was down.

IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3780.jpeg
IMG_3789.jpeg

Happy hunter and PH!

IMG_3790.jpeg

Kudu with the hill just over his left horn.

IMG_3798.jpeg
334447ab-b0b1-4dac-bf2a-1683f8e4f902.jpeg
d425085a-9298-4208-8349-e36d4f743415.jpeg

Joseph would just get the key and through the gate about the time we were culminating the hunt. Like the impala, the kudu would be dressed out using the land owner's facilities. I could not be more pleased with the morning and my trophy. This would turn out to be the quickest hunt of my entire safari. :)

In the afternoon we will head out looking for some oryx...

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 50
Loving every word of this...keep it coming!

Beautiful animals so far.

Beautiful Kudu! Enjoying the short videos and your story. Keep it coming.

Post 5: Day 3 of Hunting (afternoon)

We were back to the Kowas farm by 1030 after 80 km of driving, finding and taking my kudu bull, and dressing him out; a pretty efficient morning. My partners on the trip were back around lunch time. They had spent all the previous day and this morning hunting their own kudu. They had seen a couple of good prospects but had not been able to take one yet.

Following lunch and a siesta, we set out again heading west, this time for oryx. Our destination was about half as far as the morning property and can best be described as a huge, flat plain bordered on the east and the west by parallel lines of hills/mountains that run north-south. We would go to the western most ridge line to begin our glassing of the vast plain. We were looking for oryx that would be coming out of the mountains and into the grassland as the sun was going down.

IMG_3815.jpeg

The view from our glassing hill, photographer looking towards the north-northeast.

We saw a good number of animals, more kudu bulls (3-4) on the hill next to us also rutting some cows. There were a couple of oryx on our side of the plain, but nothing to put a stalk on. On the far hills there was the same. More kudu bulls and a few oryx. The clouds were back and it was just a gorgeous evening to be alive. I loved the morning here, but the sunsets and evenings here were just beyond compare...amazing.
As the afternoon ebbed towards sunset we spotted a large heard of oryx at the base of the hills on the far side of the plain and well off to our right (south). Based on the numbers we knew that there was bound to be a shootable bull among them if we could get close. We retrieved the truck and drove across the plain as far as we dare; stopping near a water tank that was still maybe a mile from the heard.

Jacques and I left the truck at a fast walk to close the distance as quickly as we could. Not only was the sun setting quickly, but the clouds which made for such a beautiful view were also blocking out the evening sun at our backs which would normally have provided some cover for our approach. Still at over 500 yards aways we stopped to allow Jacques to better evaluate the heard and identify any large males.

He made out one large, old male for sure. There was also another with much longer horns, more like those of a female in length, that seemed to be behaving like a male. After much study, Jacques was convinced that this was a very long male. He asked me if I wanted to the older, shorter male with thicker bases or the mature, but younger male with the very long horns. What was I supposed to say? :) I would be very pleased with either was basically my response.

We stalked a little bit closer, but lacking a bright sun to backlight us, we dared not get any closer. We were were at 350 yards, but the herd was slowly feeding towards us. They made it to 300 yards as the sun slipped even lower. Then 220 yards and Jacques put up the sticks. I settled on the sticks behind my 9.3x62 and Jacques got me onto a large oryx that was moving slowly from my left to right, but still amongst many other oryx.

I followed him in the scope, keeping my focus on that forward right shoulder and waiting for him to give me a shot with no other animals in the line of fire. I finally got a clear shot and took it. With the recoil I lost him in the scope and lifted my head to see the entire herd running in a cloud of dust to our right and away. I had no idea which one was my bull, but Jacques still had him in his binoculars.

He ran with the herd briefly and then turned hard to the left before going down. Jacques grabbed the sticks and I remained ready in case he got up, but that wouldn't be needed. As we closed the distance Jacques pointed out his blood trail which was copious. As you can see from the picture, my shot had been a little further back, landing just behind the shoulders but taking out both lungs. This was the one animal that I would take on the trip where the Hammer bullets resulted in very definite blood trail.

I had no idea which of the two bulls Jacques had set me up on. I had left my binoculars in the truck intentionally. Turns out it was the long bull and Jacques gleefully told me that it was the largest oryx they had probably taken in a couple of years. He would end up measuring 40", which is great for a bull!
IMG_3824.jpeg

IMG_3825.jpeg

IMG_3828.jpeg
IMG_3841.jpeg
IMG_3848.jpeg
IMG_3856.jpeg
IMG_3861.jpeg

We would get back to the Kowas barn later than previous evenings, but my hunting buddies would not be back yet. We got word from their PH that they would be back shortly and that they had been successful in their kudu hunt. He didn't comment on the size, which we knew probably meant that it was big! It did indeed turn out to be a very large kudu bull that they came back with (sorry I don't have pictures or their return but you will see our two kudu skulls together at the end of my series). His neck was massively thick. Needless to say the fire was surrounded by very happy hunters this evening.

We did share one worry though. We were perhaps being too lucky too fast! :) With 3 of 9 hunting days down we were all well more than half way done with our planned list of animals! This was the Friday before Mother's Day and we had all been hunting very hard (I will comment on my daily miles at the end). I talked it over with my hunting buddies and we decided that we would take Sunday off. It would be a nice half-way break for us and would allow the Strauss family to enjoy Mother's Day as well. But we still had Saturday hunts to do before taking a break...

At dinner we enjoyed tenderloins from my morning kudu and yesterday's springbuck. Both were delicious but that springbuck was so tender! Yum.

After dinner we had "kudu" shots, which is not a real thing but more like a homemade brew with passion fruit seeds, and oryx shots which is Baileys or Amarula over a ginger liqueur. It was also tasty!
IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

"Kudu" shot
IMG_3864.jpeg

Oryx shot
IMG_3865.jpeg

Telling our stories...

Tomorrow I've decided I would like to go after a large eland. Let's hope we can find one!

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 46
Beautiful Kudu! Enjoying the short videos and your story. Keep it coming.
Thanks! Takes a bit longer than I thought it would. I have one more good video clip that I look forward to sharing. Stay tuned...

That is a stud of an Orix, beautiful bull. Congratulations! The one on my avatar is a female, and those horns were very long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouAlbers8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa