NAMIBIA: Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris Hunting October 2016

up for breakfast at 6am again today and would be going after my second Oryx this time a female. Philip would not be with us as today he had a meeting in Windhoek with MET so I would hunt with Atar and Hendrik Atar being a qualified guide and one of the farm workers to drive the bakkie we drive up into the mountains and stop to glass from a vantage point over looking several valleys and hill sides I spot an Oryx on the ridge line an Atar takes a look says " ok we go " and off we set on foot we arrive at the last spot we saw the Oryx at and begin to work along the hill top after about 200m we go over a small rise and there is the Oryx facing away from us at about 60 meters Atar looks sets the sticks turns to me as the Oryx looks round sees us and takes off down the valley and stops a long way off takes a look we set up on some rocks and take a shot but I miss and with that the Oryx takes off over into the next valley. Hendrik goes and calls up the bakkie and we resume our search. We spot a second female and begin our stalk along a dry river bed but soon realise that she only has one horn Atar asks if I want a single horn and I decline we leave her to carry on our search. Then after what felt like an age while climbing up a rough steep track in the bakkie we see a lone Oryx run up out of a gulley and disappear over the ridge of the next hill, me Atar and Hendrik set off again we reach where we saw her last and begin to slowly work our way over the ridge line nothing we then begin to work along the ridge with Hendrik to our left and Atar about 5 meters ahead of me. Atar moves over an out crop of rocks and drops into a shallow gulley as I reach the outcrop a see the Oryx moving to our right at about 60 meters I drop to my knees and give a little whistle Atar turns to me and I point at where the Oryx was he peers over out of the gully and ducks back and waves me to him. The Oryx was slowly walking around the side of the hill below us through some light scrub we moved about twenty meters round the hillside and set up Atar checked and made sure it was a female and said ok I set up on the sticks and as she cleared the bushes I fired at the shot she took off down hill dropped to her knees and rolled to the bottom of the valley Hendrik appeared having missed the action and then went to find a route for the bakkie and me and Atar went down to the Oryx. Now I was a bit disappointed when I first saw her in my head I had visions of two long thin nice v shaped horns of typical female oryx but what lay there had short and broken horn. I looked at Atar who was beaming from ear to ear he said old Oryx very old and then I looked again she had massive bases the horns were worn short with age and a hard existence in the mountains and the teeth well I will leave that to the photo. I then came to my senses and realised she was a perfect trophy full of character.
P1010579.JPG
P1010585.JPG

Nice pile up on the horns! That Gemsbok is in great shape for being that old... Congratulations on a very good trophy.

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 2.18.56 PM.png

So after two and a half days into my 10 day trip 6 animals down and only the eland left from my list which Philip says will take a couple of days at least and we are booked for the Kalahari the second week so what do you do? That's right you start on the other list you made the if I see a nice one or if we have time it would be nice to go after. so the reserve list was put into place much to the relief of Philip.

so with Philip back we set off for the afternoon to look for steenbok for this we switch to Philips .243 and I am given 3 rounds of ammunition we all load into the backie and away me Philip Atar Hendrik and victor go we meander around and see a few females but it is still early after an hour we find a male and set off after him when we get a good look we can see his horns are still below the ears and Philip says we can do better so we continue our search after half an hour there is a tap on the roof we stop and the guys uptop point out a nice ram I take a look and think he looks good, waiting for Philip to give the go ahead I realise Philips view is blocked by a tree and when I point out where the steenbok is Philip is out the bakkie and we are off by now the little fellow has moved back into the cover so we skirt around behind him and creep through the scrub hoping to catch him out after about five minutes there is a whistle from Hendrik who is still on the bakkie the little ram had doubled back behind us as we turn to retrace our steps the ram bolts and is gone busted we return to the bakkie the guys have a smoke and we set off again we drive around but only see small rams and females we also disturbed a pair of bat eared foxes asleep under a bush by the side of a track Philip said they were a rare sight we stopped and watched them until out of sight it was now starting to get late and we were heading back to home and starting to discuss our first blank of the trip and plan for tomorrow when we rounded a corner of a dry river bed stood on the bank a steenbok ram Philip stops, into reverse and we quickly back away around the corner out of sight me and Philip decamp and the rest stay on the bakkie we move about 20 meters away and Philip puts up the sticks he says he is right there but I cannot see him as soon as I put the rifle on the sticks and look through the scope I seem him his head and about three inches of back visible being so close I aim high and shoot clean over the top the ram stands still for another go I aim lower and this time squeeze the trigger and see sand dust and rocks flying everywhere this time the steenbok takes off some choice words from me and Philip says" quick follow me " we take off up the river bank and bloody hell there he is stood 80 meters broadside looking straight at us sticks up rifle up safety off squeeze the trigger nothing **** it three stage safety, make sure safety is off he still stood looking at us last shot pull the trigger and the little ram drops on the spot. the relief on mine and Philips face said it all. I turn around and victor arrived with the 300wm apparently he was worried that we only had 3 rounds in the .243 and that we may have run out before the steenbok had enough and ran off ha ha .
P1010602.JPG
P1010605.JPG

Really enjoying your report.

Congratulations so far. Secondary growth on the last gemsbok is impressive.

I thought I might just give a run down of how we spent our days at this point breakfast would usually be from 5.45 am to 6.30 when we were hunting. for me tea and toast is enough so out quickly and about 7 am if we did not hunt. we would return to camp after morning hunts from 10 am until 12 midday depending on what had happened that morning. we would have tea or coffee if back early and when later would just do lunch normally 12.30 after which we could relax / sleep and meet again at 3.30ish for tea/ coffee and cake plan our afternoon then hunt from 4pm until dark if need be we would have a few beers on our return and have our evening meal and bed at farmers midnight 9pm sometimes later .

Saturday this morning we were to head out after springbok we had used up the current batch of ammo and had to swap onto Philips home load so a quick sight check grouped nicely at 200 meters, no alterations so good to go we returned to the dam on the neighbours where we shot the red hartebeest as we had seen springbok there the other day. They have not shot springbok on the main farm for four years after a cold wet spell killed off a large proportion of them and have tried to build the numbers back up again. we set up at the same location as before and waited several animals came to the water Jackal, blue wildebeest and red hartebeest but no springbok a large group of springbok arrived but did not come to the water they stayed out on the edge of the brush Philip and Hendrik went to take a closer look while we waited after about 15 minutes they returned nothing in that group was worth going after, but they had found the cut off head of a kudu bull hidden under some bushes which was only a couple of days old and had probably been poached off the road which is close to the dam. we then left the dam and went to look for the springbok we found another group which we tracked on foot for the next hour but they were also just one step in front of us and finally they had enough and took off so we called it off and returned to the farm the first blank of the trip.

P1010608.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking steenbok! I second on Wheels comment, absolutely love the mass and compression of the secondary growth on your gemsbok.

Congrats on a great hunt love the pics.

Great hunt, congrats !

At lunch Philip and I have a chat and decide to swap the springbok for blue wildebeest as there was only one really good ram in the heard of springbok and there did not seem to be any replacements for him so I was happy to leave him and chase blue wildebeest instead. so that afternoon we set off into wilds after about 45 mins we spotted a group of blues on a hillside on the opposite side of a valley to us at 700 meters so we left the bakkie and set off to get down wind and cross the valley. we left the dogs behind with victor this time.

Voodoo not looking happy
P1010616.JPG

We arrived at where we spotted the blues last and slowed the pace the wind was quite strong blowing in to our faces and the ground was rocky with thick scrub. attar spotted the blues in a shallow valley just out of the wind at about 50 meters away we backed out 20 meters cut down hill and began to crawl under the scrub on all fours we all crept forward to an area that was more open and sat. with the guys trying to pick out a suitable bull after lots of whispers and about 5 minutes a blue wildebeest steps out into the open Philip says this one in front I place the rifle on his shoulder the picture was very hazy through the scope with the sun behind the wildebeest check with Philip that we are on the right animal and shoot we hear a solid hit and the wildebeest runs 30 meters stops wobbles and drops Philip says to wait and maybe we can get another for meat ok we wait a while but the group had bolted into the next valley. we head over to the wildebeest as we approach there is a bit of chatter and Philip turns to me and says I am sorry it is an old female not a bull I ask if I shot the wrong animal and he says no it was their mistake. Philip looked a little unhappy at this point we called victor in and loaded up the wildebeest they had a smoke and a new plan was formed, we sett off on foot into the next valley while victor took the dogs and bakkie back to the start point after about 5 minutes we had 3 dogs with us victor forgot to tie them in and they didn't want to miss out on the action Philip tried to get victor on the radio and phone no response Philip was a little cross now the guys took off there belts and used them as make shift leads and we set off again. It was not long before we found a group of wildebeest in the next valley we kept above them as we both moved along the valley until they spooked and ran uphill to appear 40 meters in front of us we all sat in the open with the wildebeest facing us snorting and trying to figure out what we were we could not find any males on view in this group and after a couple of minutes they took off again. we carried on for 20 minutes then hit a farm track where we met victor who took the dogs off us had a bit of a dressing down off Philip and we set off again. while we were at the bakkie we spotted a heard of blue wildebeest about 60 strong running flat out over the next valley it was quite a sight. we moved into a small scrubby valley where Philip new the older bulls hang out it did not take long and we were moving in on two old bulls Philip said to be ready to shoot freehand. the scrub was getting thicker and our progress slower then all stop and Philip signals to get down, there were two bulls we creep about trying to get a shot in the thick scrub then a bull steps into a small opening I rest the rifle on Atar's shoulder and shoot I turn to Philip and say I shot to high and can hear the wildebeest run. We follow for the next 2 kilometres until dark with only a couple of spots of blood in a footprint and a piece of flesh the sixe of a thumb nail to show. It was a quiet ride back that night

After a few beers and our evening meal everyone is feeling a lot happier Philip announces that on Monday we will travel to the Kalahari for the Eland and that leaves us Sunday to go after the blue wildebeest. Philip also asks if he can skip the morning hunt as they are having problems with one of there new solar water pumps and his father asked if he could take a look before we depart to the Kalahari. I agree as water is essential to them and their farm livestock so with plans made I depart for bed.

We head out at 6.30 am me Atar, Hendrik and victor and chukka the tracking hound. We drive back to the same area as the night before and soon spot a heard of blue wildebeest at about 80 meters we look them over but see nothing obvious they bolt and we follow. After a good 15 minutes Attar stops and stares at the ground looks at me and says "Your bull " and points off into the scrub. Hendrik quickly joins us a bit of chat and we are off following a set of tracks that just look like any of the millions of tracks in the sand after a good twenty minutes of weaving around in the brush we come to the spot where he had bedded down there was a good amount of blood on the floor and some small fragments of flesh this seemed to encourage the guys on.they asked us to stay still while they circled round looking for his spoor again they picked it up and waved us on for the next hour we weaved, circled, double backed even when we went across an area of rock and stone the guys still found his tracks occasionally we would stop and wait while they would find the spoor and sometimes lose their temper with victor who was to keen and would get in front of them after a false contact the spoor headed across a dry reservoir the which made it easy to track and we were almost running when as we arrived at the far bank an ostrich took offence to our presence as he charged us and the guys were shouting get ready to shoot, the ostrich did not see the cattle fence ran into it bounced back and got its toe stuck in the fence unable to move it fell to the floor. well we all looked at each other what now do we shoot it or try and let it go. well for the next 15 minutes the guys grapple with the ostrich and the fence eventually freeing the ostrich then they help the ostrich back onto its feet and it staggers off looking like a giant half plucked turkey pick up some feathers for my daughter and we get back on the spoor of the wildebeest after a while we loose the tracks Hendrik goes back to get the bakkie and Atar see's if he can find the spoor again. I sit on alog and wait after a while Atar comes back he has found it again and we carry on we walk 200 meters down a dry river bed then victor says I see him (Victor was carrying the rifle at this point ) at about 60 meters in some scrub Victor takes a shot and misses and the bull takes off Atar tells me to get the gun off victor and we go on again at a jogging pace and they release chukka we go around a bend in the river at Atar stops and puts up his hand, we look round for the wildebeest but that's not why we stopped then we hear it chukka barking he had caught up with the wildebeest and was holding him. we pinpoint where they are and we are off running over rocks boulders up and down hillsides we spot Hendrik on high ground and he is pointing over the next ridge as we start to descend into the next gully I start to get Sharp pains in my knee I stop to see Atar running up the next hill I turn to victor who looks shattered and asks how my knee is I say sorry and hand him the rifle its amazing how quickly an 18 year old can recover when you hand him a gun ( he later told me he was just about to vomit when I handed him the rifle ) and he is off scampering down the rocks and up the other side and gone out of sight I now slowly work my way down the rocks and as I climb up the opposite slope I hear the shot and think good, then a second I think not so good , then a third then silence after a couple of minutes I catch up with the guys and there to my relief is the wildebeest lying on the ground. In my absence chukka had bayed the wildebeest under a tree when the guys got there they hid behind a rock atar made victor wait until his breathing settled and then shot free hand having to avoid shooting chukka as him and the wildebeest stood off each other victors shots were neck , nose and chest and mine original shot was high on the ridge of the back above the shoulders. so four entrys
P1010627.JPG
were accounted for. we spent almost four hours tracking this animal and was a whole team effort to finally catch up with this bull . It was amazing to see Hendrik and Atar's skills in action the ability to follow a turned rock or broken twig or a slightly heavier foot print. We loaded up and returned to the farm Philip was really happy that we got the bull but sad he missed out on all the action.

at lunch Philip asked if I wanted to hunt again that afternoon or could we have the afternoon off so the guys could get prepared for the trip the following day. I thought That as I already had all but one of the animals I originally came for. The great end to the morning's work and the opportunity for an afternoon/ evening braai a few beers and maybe the odd G n T was to good and offer to pass up. Philip told Atar and Hendrik afternoon off and they both gave a big wave . Philip later said they were both excited about tomorrows trip.

So up for breakfast at 7pm the cooks were in so bacon and eggs today get all our gear together extra spare wheels fitted all the bakkie tyres swapped for steel belted ones because of the thorns 10 am all set guns one dog a couple of days supplies and we are set to go Philips father whishes' us good luck and say's though you do not need it and I joke we will be back in time for tea tomorrow. Philip heard this and laughed and we leave we go collect Hendrik and attar and a bunch of others who want a lift to Windhoek about 40 minutes into the trip Philip thinks we may have a flat and the guys on the back check the tyres no they say all ok so we carry on Philip says he has a lot of vibration in the steering wheel perhaps the tyres have lost balance we are discussing possible causes when bang the bakkie drops on the passenger side and the rear wheel does a bouncing bomb impression down the road and off into the valley below I suggest it could of been the rear wheel about to fall off. we get out to survey the damage and the guys in the back chase off after the tyre while a couple go look for the wheel nuts. the wheel studs were as we might say knackered but luckily there where spacers fitted once removed the original studs were ok so we refit a spare the guys found all the wheel nuts which were ok so after a little bit of remodelling of the dust guard and side trim we were good to go.
P1010630.JPG
we set off again having checked the wheel nuts on all the other tyres just in case someone forgot to tighten them as well ! along the way we stop to pick up a young girl with a small child Philip says perhaps our good deed would bring better luck we get to Windhoek and the passengers leave us and we go to a garage and get a new spacer and fit it have lunch and then get on our way again. we travel for about two hours and I just take in the views until we arrive at okambara about 2pm

P1010709.JPG

just in time for tea and cake perfect. me and Philip shared a room well the tower on the right of the picture three bedrooms two bathrooms and living area no hardship and I got first choice of rooms
P1010707.JPG

as Philip said a bed to make you feel like a princess
P1010708.JPG

my balcony view 300wm and 375

so after freshening up and having a look round the lodge and Philip having a little time to chat with the rather attractive farm owners daughter Philip suggests we have a drink let the photo tourists depart on there evening drives and then go out ourselves we gear up pick up Atar and Hendrik and set off we drive some tracks and it is not hard to notice how thick the scrub is here it is almost impenetrable we turn off down a really rough track between to rocky hillsides we emerge from this gully onto a plateau about 100 feet above the flat land below which goes away in a horseshoe shape as far as the eye can see
P1010639.JPG
we get out stuff and walk along this escarpment looking down into the scrub below as we work our way along we see oryx and zebra milling around below us we stop and watch for a while and just as we begin to move on Hendrik spots something in the opposite direction to which we had been moving. There in the shadows of some scrubby trees were what could be Eland we head back in the direction we had come and settle down on the rocks and yes we can see two eland in the shadows after 15 minutes they begin to move slowly showing themselves a little more each time they break cover the first eland is a cow we wait for the second one two show and that is a young bull we sit and watch them wader off into the scrub until all we can see is the tops of there horns above the bushes then gone. I say not bad 25 minutes and we have seen two eland already thinking that was it. Then Philip tells me they think there is one more still there in the shadows but they are not sure. Philip suggests we move along the escarpment a bit to see if we can get a better view we move 50 meters closer and we are all scanning the scrub, when atar see's something move Philip tells me to get set up ready just in case I settle down between some rocks and place the rifle on a bag rest and get comfortable the guys try to find the eland again they see movement in the scrub again and then it is gone the guys start to chat to each other when through the scope I see the tips of two horns moving " Philip I can see it moving left to right " I don't take my eyes off it just as they find it again it disappears I ask if they can tell if it is a male yet but no one has seen enough of it to be sure . Then we see it slowly emerging like a sail boat from a fog bank. The Eland appeared to be gliding through a sea of scrub first the horns then the head then the top of the back when it broke into the open. and I saw through the scope oh my god, Then I heard Philip say "YOU MUST SHOOT THIS " as I saw the eland emerge the blue colour you hear about was there the dewlap on this bull was almost scraping the floor and it looked big Philip then told me as soon as he stops shoot and don't stop till it drops or you run out of bullets " ok yes" was my reply I keep the cross hair high on the shoulder to allow for the down hill angle and just track the eland through the scrub willing it to stop in the next clear gap the gaps came and went then he stopped in the thickest scrub he pause for what felt like an age then moved on and I followed him still high on the shoulder waiting for my chance more gaps appearing no not this one maybe the next no will this bull never stop all running through my mind keep calm big gap maybe this time as he reaches the gap he seems to pause I take my chance I shoot we hear the bullet hit and see the bull take off into the scrub no chance for a second shot I follow the tips of the horns until they drop out of sight I turn to Philip and Atar, atar lowers his binoculars smiles and says " he down" my hands at now shaking and we all begin to laugh Philip tells me 250 meters. I had my eland in under 50 minutes. Philip says he has had clients spent 3 days here and not even see an eland.
P1010688.JPG
P1010691.JPG

Nice blue bull to finish off your spiral slam. Congrats! Glad you found your wildebeest as well.

Excellent. I love hunting Namibia.

........... Philip then told me as soon as he stops shoot and don't stop till it drops or you run out of bullets " ok yes" was my reply .........

The words of a man who has tracked a wounded Eland and NEVER wants to do it again.

Congrats on a nice bull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anibal67M7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.