Reaction score
Website
foxtrotlima.net
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Argentina, Austria, Wyoming, New York - Tanzania and Zimbabwe upcoming
After a fulfilling 7-day hunt in northern Namibia, followed by a coastal excursion, I have returned to the United States. Armed with both bow and rifle, we navigated the dense cover and plentiful water sources. Mornings were spent glassing from high points, meticulously spotting game and planning our stalks. On other occasions, we positioned ourselves in blinds near watering holes. During the second morning, I seized the opportunity to take a shot with my bow at a 25-yard distance, successfully bringing down an Impala Ram. The photo captures the ram's final resting place, a mere 75 yards from the blind.
IMG_4453.jpg

The following days proved to be challenging, with numerous stalks and hours spent in blinds yielding action but no viable opportunities. In our search for a Mountain Zebra, we embarked on an early morning brisk stalk, successfully positioning ourselves within 150 yards to take the shot.

During our pursuit, we also noticed an Old Blue Wildebeest with a slight limp. Although we initially moved on in search of the Zebra, we returned in the afternoon to locate the Wildebeest. After walking approximately 500 yards to the last seen location, we discovered that he had vanished. Scot, our PH, called for the truck to pick us up.

As we prepared to leave, we decided to explore the area a little further. To our surprise, we spotted the Wildebeest sleeping under a tree. Employing the gusts of wind to mask any sound, I crawled silently to a mere 10 yards away. With him lying down, I took a moment to assess the best shot placement.

Drawing my bow, I released the first arrow, likely delivering a fatal shot. However, not wanting to leave anything to chance, I quickly drew a second arrow as the Wildebeest awoke, bewildered by the impact. He stood facing me while I remained at full draw, waiting for the opportune moment. Scot, standing up to divert his attention, prompted the Wildebeest to turn, presenting a quartering towards shot, which I took without hesitation. The Wildebeest came to rest just 30 yards beyond the point of impact.

This memorable hunt showcased the unpredictable nature of tracking and the importance of patience and careful decision-making. The successful outcome was a result of a well-executed stalk, precise shot placement, and the assistance of a skilled PH.
IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

The Eland bull presented a tough hunt. After spotting him in a group, we devised a plan and approached him on foot, stalking to within 300 yards. However, our presence was noticed when we startled some Gemsbok nearby. Despite their wariness, we continued our pursuit and followed the Eland as they ran toward a riverbed. They paused in the open riverbed, allowing me to take a well-placed shot, bringing down the bull instantly. This Eland bull exhibited unique characteristics with light stripes on his back, reminiscent of Livingston DNA.
IMG_6991.jpg

We encountered a tough Gemsbok Bull during our hunt. After spotting a group, we stalked to about 200 yards before I took my first shot, which broke the bull's front leg. We called upon our tracking dog, Riley, to assist. Riley and the bull engaged in a battle, circling each other for a few minutes. We eventually caught up and I made the necessary shot to bring the bull down, ending the encounter. It was a testament to the bull's resilience and Riley's tracking skills. The experience highlighted the unpredictable nature of hunting and deepened my appreciation for the beauty of these animals.
IMG_4812.jpg

The highlight of our trip was a old Kudu Bull that I was fortunate to take down. This old bull had been captured on Scot's camera multiple times, but he managed to elude us at the blind until the very last morning. Though he may not have been the tallest among the bulls we encountered, he possessed a certain charm that made him a beautiful trophy in my eyes.

On that final morning, luck was on our side. I managed to draw my bow and make a clean pass-through shot from a mere 20 yards away. It was a moment that required patience, and I was grateful for the opportunity to bring down this impressive Kudu Bull.

This trophy serves as a humble reminder of the challenges and rewards that come with hunting. The scars on his neck and the sturdy build showcase his resilience and the untamed nature of the wild. Each time I look at this trophy, I am filled with gratitude for the experience and for the skilled guidance of Scot.
IMG_4875.jpg

We concluded our trip by traversing the Desert towards Cape Cross, where we marveled at the Seal Reserve, and then made our way to Swakopmund for a few nights. Overall, our safari experience was truly amazing. Scot, our professional and honest Professional Hunter (PH), made the hunting excursions immensely enjoyable. Katie, the lodge manager, exuded a warm hospitality that made the camp feel like a home away from home.

During our stay, we were accommodated in comfortable tents with thatch roofs, which provided a pleasant and cool respite for afternoon naps. The camp's cuisine was nothing short of phenomenal, with every meal exceeding our expectations. The remaining staff members were welcoming and always ready to assist us with anything we needed.

Dudley and Anthea, who accompanied us during our exploration of Swakopmund, went above and beyond to ensure we had a fantastic time. They also kindly drove us back to the airport, where we enjoyed a quick lunch at O' Portuga before catching our flight home. Not only were they helpful with airport check-in procedures, but they also added a fun and lively dynamic to our time together.

In conclusion, our safari adventure was truly remarkable. The expertise and professionalism of Scot, the warm hospitality of Katie, the comfort of the camp, the outstanding cuisine, and the delightful company of Dudley and Anthea all contributed to an unforgettable experience.

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Congratulations on a wonderful safari, and some fine animals taken. Thank you for taking us along.

Any pictures of the camp, and the coast? We like pictures. :ROFLMAO:

Congratulations on a wonderful safari, and some fine animals taken. Thank you for taking us along.

Any pictures of the camp, and the coast? We like pictures. :ROFLMAO:
The Burchell-Wolf Land Cruiser.
IMG_4430.jpg
SCot and Korporal scouting the first morning.
IMG_4499.jpg
My Eland Bull's track vs the 7x57mm cartridge.
IMG_4693.jpg
Loading the truck with the Mountain Zebra and Blue Wildebeest.
IMG_4804.jpg
Breakfast in the blind!
IMG_4851.jpg

Mountain Zebra in the Dorob desert.
IMG_4929.jpg

Sandstorm crossing the desert.
IMG_4937.jpg

The Seals, boy did they smell!
IMG_4949.jpg

Fried pigs knuckle with a boot of beer in swakopmund!
IMG_4993.jpg

Prawns at O' Portuga!
IMG_5009.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
Love it, that's what I'm talking about, keep them coming. Trust me, there is a huge following of pictures like that. (y)

Congratulations on a very successful safari. Thanks for posting your report and pictures. Well done.

congratulations on a nice safari. Namibia is one of our favorite places.

looks like you had a great time. congrats on some fine animals taken and thanks for sharing.

Been watching this outfitter for awhile thinking to do just what you did with some bird hunting on the side. Thanks for the report and the picture. Would love to read/see more

Great report and pics !
As you know, my brother and I also hunted with Scot.
A first class man and a first class camp.

Could not recommend more highly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiltonLimo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.