NAMIBIA: A New Lodge For KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS Of Namibia

Return to Khomas:

Upon leaving Ndovu River Lodge, The Okavango River and The Caprivi Strip in general, we rolled along this road and that highway, until finally reaching Aub Lodge, up in the Khomas Hochland Highlands.
We spent the rest of that return to camp day, just relaxing and visiting, catching up with our fellow Alaskan, Don (1dirthawker).
He had remained there, while Kelley and myself were off to the Okavango River with Juan.

Also in camp there at Aub, were several interesting German fellows.
These guys were taking a break from their college studies in Europe.
They travelled to Namibia, in order to learn about wildlife conservation and the safari business as well, from Khomas Safaris.
This was a working holiday for them and Philip (owner of Khomas Safaris), kept them busy with various projects.
All of them spoke multiple languages and were intellectuals.
We enjoyed them very much.

Meanwhile, my wife (Kelley) had been sporadically seeing various sable, both during our 2021 safari with Philip and during this 2024 Safari as well.
She began talking about where in our home she would like to place a shoulder mounted sable.
Due to the difference in cost, Yours Truly has always preferred to hunt gemsbok instead of sable.
However since I am retired, Kelley’s income is more than mine now.
And she became somewhat insistent about wanting a sable.

Far be it from me to gripe about such a thing.
I figured it’d be a lot cheaper than the dang sauna she asked me to build for her.:ROFLMAO:
Off topic here, when Kelley saw the beautiful Finland style sauna that Don had built for his lovely wife, Carla (our houses are only a few kilometers apart), she wanted one as well.

So Kelley and I sat down with Juan and Philip to discuss this sable situation over some Windhoek lagers.
We concluded with a plan to have breakfast next morning before daylight and I would begin hunting with PH’s, Isaac and Juan, at first light.
Kelley would go along as well and decide to hike or remain with the truck as the day progressed.

Sable Hunting
Day 1:
We drove and glassed and walked and glassed and repeated same, all day.
There was a sable spotted here and there, but no mature bull.
Once, a young bull walked past the veranda, while we were back in camp having a lunch break.
I accused him of spying.
He pretended to not understand English.

I don’t mind telling you that by the time we returned to camp after sundown, I was quite tired, yes quite.

Day 2:
Same as before.

Day 3:
Ditto.

Day 4:
One of the German guys had been out in the bush, a long way from camp and reported back to Isaac where, by means of various landmarks, he had seen a large bull sable.
So off we went, walking fast over hill and dale, toward the place where this animal was last seen.
Kelley had walked with us for much of our sable hunting efforts but, she finally had played out and remained in camp during Day 4.

After the Bataan Death March, we finally arrived in the general vicinity of the reported sighting.
Isaac and Juan soon located spoor of what indicated to their expert eyes, a large sable.
Upon stopping in the shade and drinking plenty of water, we then slowed way down to carefully and quietly follow the hoof tracks.

It was getting late in the day and this was the last day I could hunt, as we had to fly home soon.
Everything, stick, rock and shadow all began to look like a jolly big sable bull.
However, as we topped a hill and began slowly to inch our way down the other side, suddenly Isaac set the sticks.
I placed the .375 and rested my thumb on the “Safety” catch.

At first I saw no animal.
Then, just across the narrow little valley below us and from behind a thicket of foliage over there, a big bull sable walked out partially into view.
He was below us and a ways down the face of his rather steep hill, across from ours.
He was clearly disinterested in standing still.
No doubt this regal animal did not grow so huge by standing around and staring at worn out old geezers carrying rifles.
The distance to him was perhaps 100 to 120 meters and growing further as he walked, right to left down hill…..

Flip catch lever to go position while settling crosswires on critter shoulder and press trigger.
Boom.
Nobody’s fault but mine, I gut shot this magnificent sable.
He staggered but recovered and bolted right to left, continuing down hill as he scrambled.
Immediately I ran my rifle as always, from the shoulder and swung with the running target, Boom.
Properly hit now, he went down.

We hot-foot it over to him, where I gave him a 3rd shot to be sure.
I felt horrible for my error on that all important first shot.
But, my 2nd shot was through the top of the left shoulder, (downhill angle), breaking the far shoulder, and he was then finished quickly.

Kelley would have her sable.
As the saying goes, “happy wife, happy life”.

Below are some photos.
These include of course the sable but also that dang sauna I mentioned building for Kelley, (she’s worth it), at our home in Alaska.
Don pitched in for that project as well.

NOTE:
I’ve noticed that when I try to number my photos in the order that I select them, they often rearrange themselves.
So, I won’t bother numbering them here.

I’ll eventually post a few more (very few) paragraphs and miscellaneous photos of the new lodge at Aub and of this April 2024 Safari in general, including a visit to Trophaendienste Taxidermy, to the Kudu Leather Products Store and to Joe’s Beer House, all at Windhoek.
However, today’s report on the 4 days of sable stalking, essentially ends the hunting portion of my story.

Thanks for reading,
Velo Dog out.

Great picture of you and Isaak! Fabulous sable!! Isaak start looking for another one my friend!

nice write up Paul!

to everyone else; Paul was truly bummed that his first shot did not go right where he wanted it.(has never happened to me :) But, he quickly resolved his first shot with his second. i find it refreshing that someone who makes a mistake owns it, fixes it and has some small remorse about the "mistake" that we have all made. well done Paul.

Paul,

Thank you for the detail write up, report and travel log! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The timing is quite good as my wife and I are starting to plan for 2026. A couple of questions:

1. Can you give me an approximate cost per day to figure for the touring, fishing, etc. inclusive of guide, accommodations, activities and meals? I would be uncomfortable doing a self drive.
2. How butt sore were you from the driving from camp to Hentsbaai to Ndovu River Lodge? We would want to spend a few days in Etosha along the way as well.
3. I was considering the touring prior to hunting buffalo in the Caprivi. Is that a reasonable consideration and what are sufficient days for the touring?
4. Our first time to Namibia. If we did the touring what else is worth seeing? Windhoek Museums (are there any), Skeleton coast/dunes, Cheetah Sanctuary, ...?
5. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help,

John

Hi John,

I apologize for not responding quicker.
Attached below are some screen shot photos with answers to your questions.

And regarding saddle soreness, we stopped to walk around often enough that we did not get sore butts from sitting too long.
As for sand dunes, Coastal Namibia definitely has some impressive ones.

Personally, I’m so old that ripping over sand dunes on a 4-Wheeler, Quad or Dirt Bike, etc., has no appeal for me, none, zero, zip, nada.
That said, for the younger, more rip roaring adventurers, there are companies there that provide such sand worthy vehicles.
And those who are into that sort of thing say that exploring said dunes is a lot of fun.

Cheers for now,
Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_3169.png
    IMG_3169.png
    379.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3168.png
    IMG_3168.png
    446.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi John,

I apologize for not responding quicker.
Attached below are some screen shot photos with answers to your questions.

And regarding saddle soreness, we stopped to walk around often enough that we did not get sore butts from sitting too long.
As for sand dunes, Coastal Namibia definitely has some impressive ones.

Personally, I’m so old that ripping over sand dunes on a 4-Wheeler, Quad or Dirt Bike, etc., has no appeal for me, none, zero, zip, nada.
That said, for the younger, more rip roaring adventurers, there are companies there that provide such sand worthy vehicles.
And those who are into that sort of thing say that exploring said dunes is a lot of fun.

Cheers for now,
Paul.
Paul,

Thanks for the response and response time. I was in no rush. The information is exactly what I was hoping to gather. Although a youngster vs you (he he he, I'm 64!), Ann and I would probably not be interested in zipping around the sand dunes. I grew up around Lake Michigan and thought seeing the dunes in Namibia would be a fun activity.

John

All good John.
Also, I forgot to mention earlier today that Philip said he would be glad to phone you at your convenience, if you so desire.
No pressure, just his offer to chit chat directly with you one of these days, if you like.
Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa