NAMIBIA: A New Lodge For KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS Of Namibia

Hi Velo Dog

Wow what a great hunt!

Congrats on a fantastic hunt accompanied by Mrs Velo Dog. Great pictures and a well recounted hunting tale that has kept me glued to my seat eagerly awaiting for the next report.

Kind regards

Jon

Thank you for sharing. I like you am a blessed man and have a wife they just is everthing!

Your report has me anticipating our return to Namibia, will be up north in camp this time next year.

1,000 Kilometer Road Trip, 1st Stop —> The Beach Town of Swakopmund.

I believe it was April 19th, that we rolled out from Lodge Aub, around mid-afternoon, up there in those game rich hills of The Khomas Hochland Highlands.
But it might have been April 20th.
Not super important really.

Anyway PH, Juan was driving, me wife Kelley, in the front passenger seat, myself and Don, aka: 1dirthawker of this forum, in the 2nd row seats of the bakkie.
I don’t recall how many hours it consumed to drive there.
But I think it was 3.5 to 4 hours, approximately.
We enjoyed the scenery.

We arrived in Swakopmund around supper time and went straight to The Tug Restaurant.
We had been there 3 years prior and I was getting hungry just thinking about it, a couple hours before arriving.
The Tug is known for seafood but they also have grass fed Namibian beef, as well as game meat steaks and so forth.
The food as always was simply excellent and so we ate like royalty.

Photos:
Kelley waiting in the Bakkie, while we were stopped at a quick store.
Kelley and myself standing just under The Tug Restaurant.
Kelley and myself on the Swakopmund pier.

Note:
Photos 1. and 2. are actually from 2021, nonetheless, picture content is the same as it would be now in 2024.

To be continued………..

IMG_2322.png
IMG_2321.png
IMG_2320.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction:
Pictures 2. and 3. are from our 2021 visit to Swakopmund.

Many times we would stand totally motionless, for what seemed like a mighty long time, until the animals would again relax a bit.
Then, we would very slowly sneak forward a few paces, always trying to keep thick bushes between us and them.
Also at this stage, I kept my eyes looking only downward, so as to avoid giving them the stalk ruining “predator’s stare”.
And it helps me also not to trip over a stone, crunch dried leaves or snap a stick under my shoes.
some good hunting advice here, on top of a great story!! well done Paul

I am a bit late to the party, (as usual). I will contribute my hunting report soon, as i have a bit of time where i am not working/hunting. After our Namibia hunt, a week later i went bear guiding and a week later i went bear guarding, so have been away from the forum a bit other than an occasional check in. I will make an effort to fill in a couple blanks on Velo Dogs most excellent story!

Anyway —> Leaving Swakopmund.

After supper we got back into our chariot and travelled north about 70 kilometers to Hentiesbaai.
(“Henties Bay” in English).
It was dark by then so there wasn’t much to see as we rolled along.
But, the drive was only about an hour and the road was smooth so, this relatively short time seemed to pass quickly.

We parked in front of De Duine Hotel (“The Dune” Hotel), I think around 10:30 PM or a bit later.
Then our Fishing Guide, Gelhar, walked up to introduce himself as we were climbing out of our vehicle.
He is just as pleasant and hard working as Juan and the others, always smiling and buzzing around making sure everyone is comfortable and having a good time.

After checking into our respective rooms, Kelley and myself declined the invite for cocktails in the hotel pub, in favor of a hot shower and a good night’s REM Sleep.
Next morning (April 20th ?), we were up at 6:00 AM and entered the hotel restaurant for breakfast.

De Duines Hotel was very clean and very quiet.
Our room was very comfortable.
But, I suspect April might be the off-season for visitors.
Even the restaurant was mostly devoid of customers, although the food was outstanding plus, the waitress was friendly and quick.
That place even had a serious espresso machine and said waitress knew how to run it just right.
The coffees were consistently comparable to any good ones that I’ve had anywhere.

I have attached some photos below, from this hotel.
We are not fancy people and so, De Duine Hotel was simply perfect for us.
That said, Mrs. Velo Dog and myself are admittedly both just a teensy bit, shall we say, “selective” about food.

On this topic, to our surprise, and much to our delight, this Mom & Pop styled, very small hotel, in a very small town, served food noticeably better than anything we’ve had in most** of the fancy 5 star hotels we’ve tried.
One or two (not all) expensive hotel restaurants in Italy** served about as good of food as De Duine’s food was.
Some food in Italy’s restaurants (hotel and otherwise) was surprisingly bland and some was outstanding.
But that is for another forum thread.

The half dozen or less expensive hotel restaurants we’ve tried in Seattle and Los Angeles served food that was unremarkable at best and in one place, over-salted at worst.

That’s not to say we have stayed in very many high dollar and fancy hotels.
But we’ve done so a few times.
Anyway, when we can return to Hentiesbaai someday, indeed we will ask to stay in this hotel again.

Back on topic, right after breakfast, we climbed into the bakkie and travelled north from Hentiesbaai.
Gelhar, his teenage son, a Photographer and a couple of young women were in Gelhar’s bakkie.
We followed them.

I have forgotten the two ladies names and the cameraman’s name as well.
(Old age is slowly defeating me).
Anyway, Ghelar provided all the fishing tackle, bait, etc.
All the gear was high quality.
I liked the way Gelhar’s truck looked, with several approximately 14 foot surf casting rods fastened to the roof.

Cheers for now ………

IMG_2329.png
IMG_2328.png
IMG_2327.png
IMG_2326.png
IMG_2325.png
F60B52D0-4AB7-4E4C-A084-4238EC0233A7.jpeg
01415AD6-2DEF-400C-9FB2-89534ECCE261.jpeg
9DB52DB6-D82F-4795-ADA4-E150DEE27454.jpeg

some good hunting advice here, on top of a great story!! well done Paul
Thanks Don, as you know I’m up to my armpits in tasks and distractions right now.
But as soon as I possibly can, I will type more about our surf casting plus additional stops and activities.
(And I’ll see you tomorrow).:cool:

April 21 - 2024, Surf Casting for Sharks:

After breakfast, we all climbed into the two vehicles, Kelley, Don, myself and Juan in ours, following Gelhar and his crew in theirs.
We travelled north, along the coast from Hentiesbaai, perhaps 20 or 30 kilometers ?
Then we turned off the road and went out to the beach, in 4 wheel drive mode.

The breeze from across the water was cool enough to warrant a light jacket or more, in the morning.
But the sand was so warm that our feet were more comfortable without shoes.
The Atlantic Ocean water here is very cold.
So if your feet get to hot, just let the sea water hit them and they suddenly won’t be.

We fished this general area for two days.
If we didn’t get any bites in one place, we would drive a few kilometers to another and re-try our luck.
As it turned out, we had good fishing both days.
We hooked and landed several spotted gulley sharks.
We hooked at least 2 that I recall very large sharks, only one of which were we able to land, (bronze whaler), as those giants were experts at cutting our lines off against sharp rocks and / or whatever dead boat pieces might be under the waves.

Gotta make a run for it now and so I will write more and post more photos after a bit.

Cheers for now …….

Photos:
Our setup for fishing and general relaxing on the deserted beach.
Gelhar’s Jack Russel Terrier, named “Peanut”, wanting the shark we just released.
Kelley & myself, abiding in the no stress zone.
Kelley, tending her surf rod.
Don and myself with 2 spotted gulley sharks we landed simultaneously, one is a male and the other is a female.
We released them back into the sea.
Kelley battling a “spotty”.
Victory !
She then released it.
I have video of Kelley releasing a spotty, plus other events but, I cannot get videos to load here for some unknown reason.
Kelley & Don with 2 more spotties they landed simultaneously.
Now and then, all 3 of our sets had sharks lurching on them.
Ship wreckage.
Someone told me that this part of the coast is especially dangerous for ships and all the wrecked hulls along there are the reason this area is called “The Skeleton Coast”.

Attachments

• IMG_9841.jpeg
    IMG_9841.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9830.jpeg
    IMG_9830.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9836.jpeg
    IMG_9836.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9804.jpeg
    IMG_9804.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9825.jpeg
    IMG_9825.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9863.jpeg
    IMG_9863.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9880.jpeg
    IMG_9880.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9891.jpeg
    IMG_9891.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 57
Love it!!! What an adventure. Keep it coming. (y) (y)

Greetings Fellow Outdoor Enthusiasts,

April 22 was our 2nd day of surf casting.
Beforehand, again we gathered in De Duine (The Dune) Hotel Restaurant at 6:30 AM, for another splendid breakfast.
Then everyone climbed into the two bakkies and away we went, north from Hentiesbaai, to cast for sharks and / or whatever else might be cooperative.

As usual, the sea breeze was cold enough to require warm clothes but oddly enough, the sand was so warm that our feet were more comfortable without shoes.
Gelhar and his son, Heinrich, hurled out our 3 lines for the 3 of us clients (Kelley, myself and Don).
The large hook on each steel cable leader was baited with liver from I don’t know what animal (some previously caught fish perhaps) ?
The rod butts we’re set into individual brackets, the long pointy end of which was jammed deep down into the sand.
All 3 of us wore fighting belts, with a rod socket on each.

Right away we began seeing the long (14 feet ?) surf rods twitching and lurching, as the fish were evidently hungry.
We caught and released more spotted gully sharks.
All of them were approximately 40 to 50 pounds (about 18 to 22 Kilograms).
These appear very similar to a specie in the Pacific Ocean, commonly known as “sand shark”.
We ate them when I lived in Soviet California.
But here, we released them back into the surf.

At this spot, we found the tracks from a brown hyena.
Juan said that at night, brown hyena and jackals scavenge dead seals, Dead Sea birds, dead fish and so forth, that wash up onto the beach.

Anyway and eventually, Kelley hooked into a huge, heavy and very powerful swimming fish.
It was roughing her up pretty thoroughly.
So after about 5 or 10 minutes, she asked me to take over.
It’s a good thing I’m young (71) :ROFLMAO: because this fish fought much more powerfully and long lasting than any other fish I’ve ever caught, including one Alaska halibut at 99 pounds and another at 110 pounds (about 50 kilos).
Large Northern Pacific Halibut are no wimps but this one in the southern Atlantic surf was a real beast.

After what seemed like all day, but was honestly nowhere near all day, we finally saw its long tail break the surface, inside the surf line, perhaps 50 - 75 meters out from the sand.
It was a large shark, a Bronze Whaler to be specific.
It evidently did not like the idea of being dragged from it’s watery home, as it suddenly regained its fighting spirit and the drag in my large spinning reel screamed as line whizzed off the spool.

This shark managed to repeatedly swim out past the waves,
Each time it did that, it then seemed as if it suddenly became confused or disoriented.
Because, it then would suddenly turn left or right and swim parallel to the beach.
This made it possible to jog along in the same direction, for short spells and frantically reel in previously lost distance of fishing line.
Long tedious story made short, eventually the shark was tired enough to be coaxed into about waist deep surf foam, during back wash but, armpit deep during incoming waves.

At this stage, Gelhar and Heinrich both ran out into the sea and began to grapple this huge fish to shore.
Heinrich had a wrestler’s grip on the shark’s tail, and Gelhar had the cable leader gripped tightly in his gloved hands.
Each time a wave curled in and broke into a wall of foam, those brave lads would be armpit deep in the surge with what I regarded as a large plus, dangerous species of shark.

It continued to fight sporadically and I was somewhat worried, as its tail remained powerful and lively.
And, as quick as I have seen sharks suddenly lurch forward under the water to grab prey, I was concerned that with Gelhar being at the business end of this toothy fish, he might be bitten at any moment.
However, those two chaps had wrestled so many large sharks onto the shore that they both emerged from the water, quite unscathed and beaching the shark as they returned.

Photos were taken and we released it.
I helped Gelhar drag it back into the water and it was a struggle, as it was quite heavy.
Gelhar estimated it to be about 108 - 110 kilos (around 240 pounds).
Within seconds of being in about meter deep water, the big fish quickly regained its energy and swam back out to sea, as if nothing had happened.

Eventually, we packed up and drove to yet another deserted beach to try our luck there.
And Don hooked into another truly huge fish, presumably also a shark.
Judging by the serious fight it put forth, I guessed it to be at least as large as the one described above.
But unfortunately, the strong Kevlar line suddenly went slack.
Reeling it up showed a sharp object had severed it above the cable leader.
Don was a real good sport about it though and remained ever jolly throughout, in spite of this sudden and unwanted turn of events.
That huge fish had evidently snagged the line on a sharp object under the water or, possibly turned his body abruptly around, enabling itself to grab the line in its jaws and sever it with its teeth.

That night after a steak and seafood dinner in the hotel restaurant, with our little fishing group, all of us adjourned to the hotel pub, there at De Duine Hotel.
We celebrated good fishing and new friends.

Next morning immediately after breakfast, PH Juan, brought Kelley and myself up to Etosha Park for an overnight stay, in transit toward the Okavango River, where we planned to try for tiger fish.
Don returned to the Khomas Lodge, via one of Philip’s employees being in HentiesBaai, with enough room in that vehicle for another passenger.
Gelhar remained in Hentiesbaai as that is his home.

I will describe the Etosha and Okavango stops soon and post pictures of same.

Thanks for reading,
Mr. & Mrs. Velo Dog.

Photos:
Kelley & Myself at breakfast in De Duine Hotel Restaurant.
The 240 pound bronze whaler, joining Kelley, Gelhar and myself for a photograph.
Kelley and Peanut, in De Duine Hotel Pub.
Brown Hyena (stock photo).
Don (1dirthhawker) battling a large shark that cut the line suddenly.
Don fighting an unknown fish at our little impromptu fishing camp.
Same fishing camp.
Spotted Gully Shark.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.png
    IMG_1663.png
    9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1632.png
    IMG_1632.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2324.png
    IMG_2324.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1914.png
    IMG_1914.png
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9908.jpeg
    IMG_9908.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9841.jpeg
    IMG_9841.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9823.jpeg
    IMG_9823.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 48
PS:
I almost forgot to mention that Heinrich (Fishing Guide’s Son) was our fish camp Chef each lunch hour.
In the photos here, he was grilling either impala or springbok steak (expertly marinated) and a type of savory sausages that unfortunately I cannot remember the name of.
All of it was tender and quite delicious.

Cheers.

Attachments

• EBCCDC0D-E31B-452C-8744-2505DE6219FA.jpeg
    EBCCDC0D-E31B-452C-8744-2505DE6219FA.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • E6F04706-1BBC-4273-8341-EBAE454D2538.jpeg
    E6F04706-1BBC-4273-8341-EBAE454D2538.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
Etosha Park:

April - 23 - 2024, Right after yet another great breakfast at De Duine Hotel and Restaurant, we said our goodbyes to everyone.
Kelley and myself rode with Juan in the bakkie, down through Swakopmund and onward to Etosha Park.
Don rode with us as far as Swakopmund, where he then rode with some guys from Lodge Aub (Khomas Safaris newest property and lodge buildings).
Don and the other guys returned up to Aub.

Kelley, Juan and myself arrived at Etosha Park that afternoon.
We stayed at, I believe it was called, “The Etosha Safari Lodge” ?
We had stayed there in 2021 as well so you’d think I could remember the name of it.
Well anyway, it is a splendid tourist lodge / hotel, (with a well appointed buffet style restaurant and huge veranda), catering to guests who are primarily interested in game viewing and photography.

Kelley and myself stayed in a cabin just short walk down a path from the restaurant and veranda.
Juan stayed in a cabin next door.
There were semi-tame mongoose scurrying all about.
So, there were no reptiles or scorpions anywhere near there, as far as we could tell.
When the mongoose were not busy hunting, they stayed busy play wrestling, like puppy dogs do.

Once a pair of them became loud, under the veranda deck planks, as if arguing about something.
A Waiter stamped his foot on the planks and told them to be quiet.
They went stone silent.
After a minute or two they started quarreling loudly again.
A second time the Waiter stamped his feet on the boards and admonished the mongoose to be quiet.
Again they became instantly silent.
It was comical.
Later we faintly heard a pair quarreling mongoose again but, down the hill a ways, toward our cabins.
We don’t know if they were the same ones that the Waiter had previously scolded or not.
This time they were barely heard due to the distance so, everyone ignored them.

We enjoyed a wonderful buffet style dinner.
There were many things to choose from, including fish, shrimp game steaks, game sausages, steaming hot vegetables of various description, potatoes both roasted and mashed, home made bread rolls of various types, rice, salads, dressings, cheeses, fresh peeled fruits and there was a Chef slicing prime rib to order for anyone interested.

After supper, we were too full to enjoy the several excellent looking desserts the Employees had prepared.
So, we just returned to our rooms and slept well.
Next morning, we enjoyed another fine buffet style meal, with eggs bacon, sausages, potatoes, more homemade bread, fruit, hot coffee and all the rest that goes with a grand breakfast.

Having spent 2 or 3 days touring Etosha Park in 2021, we elected to skip it this time and go directly to the river.
So right after breakfast away we went with Juan in the bakkie.

Stand by for The Okavango part of this road trip, soon to follow.

Meanwhile, below are some photos from a small portion of our road trip.

Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Mr. & Mrs. Velo Dog.

Attachments

• IMG_2539.png
    IMG_2539.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2542.png
    IMG_2542.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2545.png
    IMG_2545.png
    7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2544.png
    IMG_2544.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2546.png
    IMG_2546.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2549.png
    IMG_2549.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2548.png
    IMG_2548.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2550.png
    IMG_2550.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2554.png
    IMG_2554.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2555.png
    IMG_2555.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2552.png
    IMG_2552.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 31
PS:
Below are some pics from the Etosha Safari Lodge.

Myself and my wife, having sundowners on the veranda, prior to supper.
The view from our cabin.
Another angle view from our cabin.
Our cabin porch doors, from which I took pictures 2. and 3.

Attachments

• IMG_2562.png
    IMG_2562.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2561.png
    IMG_2561.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2559.png
    IMG_2559.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2556.png
    IMG_2556.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
To The Caprivi Strip / Okavango River:

As previously mentioned, right after a huge breakfast buffet, at Etosha Safari Lodge, on the outside edge of the park, Kelley (Mrs. Velo Dog) and myself, climbed into the bakkie.
Away we went with trusty Juan driving and pointing out various things if interest as we rolled along.

Also as previously mentioned, we skipped touring the park itself, choosing instead to save time by going past it.
We arrived at Ndovu Safari Lodge, south bank of The Okavango River, just before supper.
Kelley and myself were assigned a wall tent, built on a wood and concrete platform, complete with a private bathroom, shower, etc.

Our tent was only a few steps from the water.
Flying bugs were present but not especially abundant.
However, our bed was surrounded with a high quality mosquito net.
Indeed we were taking malaria tablets as well but Kelley received no mosquito bites, as she used insect repellent.
I evidently am too disgusting even for mosquitos to bite me so, I did not bother with insect repellent.
Well, except that I had festooned the cuffs, collars and sock tops of hers and my safari clothing with Permethrin, a few days before leaving for Africa.

Anyway, Juan’s tent was next door to ours, about 10 or 15 meters away.
The river was high from some recent heavy rains.
However, it was still a bit down, safely below the level of the flat land that this excellent fishing and photo lodge is situated on.

Dinner was announced in the dining area.
This part of Ndovu Lodge was a cement and stone floor, 3 walls and a thatched roof, spacious design.
Within was a long table, with plenty of seating for perhaps a dozen people.
But, there were only a few of us guests present.
I presume this was due to the world still recoiling from all of that Covid chaos, mass hysteria and so forth.
And that’s alright too, more elbow room for us.

We enjoyed a wonderful supper of kudu steaks, mashed potatoes, crunchy green salad, home baked bread and a good bottle of red wine, labeled “Lion Hound”.
The staff were all cheerful and friendly.
There were very few other guests present and all of those were from Germany.
They too were cheerful and friendly.
Every one of the above mentioned people thankfully spoke perfect English, as I only speak English and Spanish.
Furthermore, my Spanish is not very good, that is for sure.
So, we were thankful to meet, easily converse with and learn about our new acquaintances there.

We were tired from our long road trip from the Etosha Park, way up to the Caprivi area.
So after supper, Kelley and myself bid everyone a good night and walked about 50 - 75 meters back to our tent, via our well travelled little battery torches in hand to light the trail.

Tomorrow we try our luck for tiger fish.

Below Photos:
Our tent.
Same.
Barble Fish AKA, Catfish, in the river below.
These were drawn to the lodge lights and fed each evening, what looked like commercially produced fish food pellets, such as those sold in pet stores.
Same.
Desert after supper.
Moon rising in front of out tent.
Supper.
One of the excellent wall tents at Ndovu Lodge.

Attachments

• IMG_2668.png
    IMG_2668.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2667.png
    IMG_2667.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2664.png
    IMG_2664.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2661.png
    IMG_2661.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 810EC323-32FB-47C4-99A9-E5A73E0C1D1F.jpeg
    810EC323-32FB-47C4-99A9-E5A73E0C1D1F.jpeg
    749.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 070DE11C-908C-41D6-9E8A-C5F4E4417846.jpeg
    070DE11C-908C-41D6-9E8A-C5F4E4417846.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 220F34EA-0A45-4F15-AE81-483F198097EB.jpeg
    220F34EA-0A45-4F15-AE81-483F198097EB.jpeg
    923.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 5B6CE022-877C-4701-AB36-FB96AACF1125.jpeg
    5B6CE022-877C-4701-AB36-FB96AACF1125.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hello again fellow Hunters,

At this stage I’d like to again apologize for taking so long to finish this hunt report.
I have a million excuses, including death of a close relative here, multiple waves of visitors from out of state and so forth.
But, I will spare you the misery of having to read all my feeble excuses.
We still have company and another wave to arrive a couple days after they leave.
But I promise all of you that I am trying to finish this report.

Anyway, back to the Okavango River:
Incidentally, each morning around 2:00 AM, a lion would wake us by roaring loud, over and over.
Evidently he lived approximately straight across the river from Ndovu Lodge.
However, it sounded as if he was right beside us in our tent.:ROFLMAO:
His serenade continued each morning until just after dawn.

It took Kelley quite awhile to relax enough so that she could fall asleep during this lion’s tireless roaring.
A great help for her was to wear foam ear plugs.
I have audio of the roaring but for unknown reasons, I cannot transfer any of my many videos into my threads and posts here.
If anyone wants to receive an audio clip of this roaring, via the private message feature here, with your Email address and I can email it directly to you.

Anywhooo, on the first morning, we rolled out of our rack and walked over to the dining facility, to have breakfast, just prior to daylight.
We (including Juan) were the first guests.
We began with coffees and rusks aka: “granny biscuits”.
The coffee was properly brewed, high quality and not instant.
Within a minute or two, one of the kitchen staff appeared and asked us if we wanted eggs and how we would like them cooked.
Very soon thereafter, we were enjoying a full breakfast.

After breakfast, we walked down the well built stairs to “our” boat.
It was a pontoon / platform design, with a canvas roof, stretched over a metal tubing frame.
The boat and the anti-sun / anti-rain top were in excellent shape, obviously well maintained.
The motor was a new looking outboard (might have been a Yamaha) perhaps 25 or 30 horse power ?
Whatever it was, it had no trouble moving our boat about, including against the current while traveling upstream.
Furthermore, it was not especially noisy either.

Our Boat Driver / Captain was a local fellow named Michael.
He spoke excellent English (undoubtedly some other languages as well).
He was always smiling and happy to tell us all about the many birds and animals we observed up and down the river.
Also, Michael told us that he was a life long sport fisher / meat fisher, as he had been born and raised along the bank of this Okavango River.

So, we stopped here and there with the motor turned off, in order to bait fish and to cast about with lures as well.
The bait was individual minnows, frozen and thawing faster than we could use them
up.
Michael rigged these, each threaded onto a single hook, one per fishing rod.
We individually cast our respective minnows into the river and waited.
These minnows were approximately 4 inches (about 100 mm) in length.
If they had been dusted in corn meal and deep fried, I would have eaten them myself.

The river was very high and murky but slow moving.
We could only see about half a meter into the muddy water.
There were tiger fish and barblefish living in this river, among other species.

However, no species of fish there were cooperative, during the several days we tried to catch them.
Michael sometimes suggested that we cast lures so, we would try that for a while.
Then, he often would have us troll said lures behind the boat, as he motored along, very slowly upstream, to the next spot of his choice.

Then with the motor off, we would cast lures for awhile, eventually switching back to the single baited hook.
Nothing seemed to impress the fish.
With the river high and murky, evidently they had pretty much stopped eating.
There were a few times (very few) that one of us would experience a tiger fish grabbing a baited hook.
But tiger fish are toothy and Michael said that only about 1 in 7 strikes results in a well hooked fish.

The only fish we caught was a very small tiger fish, about 14 inches / 35 centimeters.
I was using a minnow on single hook and had dropped it in behind a big rock, where if trout fishing, a trout might be resting from the river current.
Wham, a little tiger fish grabbed the bait and I successfully set the hook for a change.

We took his photo and set him free.
No other fish were caught by us.
In comparing notes with another fishing guest at the lodge, he completed his holiday there without catching a single fish of any description.
The river was just too high and full of silt this time.
We shall have to return one day when the weather has not recently dumped unusually heavy rain there.

Since the weather was pleasant while we were there and the river slow moving, we enjoyed our daily boat rides.
We saw many animals and birds.
Elephants, hippos, buffaloes, warthogs, impalas, kudus, bushboks, crocodiles and many other species made themselves available for pictures every day.
Huge flocks of spur wing geese and other migratory birds seemed to be constantly flying along the river course, not far above the tree tops.

On our last day, we chose to cross the river and join 4 other people on a game drive.
This was through a wildlife preserve there where the lion roared each morning.
After breakfast, Michael ferried all 6 of us over on the boat.
There we were met by our driver and Tour Guide, with a multi-seat photo safari style vehicle.
I cannot remember his name but he was a cheery fellow and very knowledgeable of the Okavango’s flora and fauna.

We motored slowly here and there throughout the huge property.
And, the animals were both diversified as well as plentiful, especially elephants.
We however only saw one heavy tusked bull among many, many elephant sightings.
He was camera shy and we only managed a picture of him as he was facing away / walking away from us in thick bush.
We never saw the roaring male lion.
But, we did see a very young lioness.
She had killed what I think was an impala and she was napping on a run down ant hill, next to the carcass.

This property included a veritable ghost town of deteriorated concrete structures, as it had once been occupied by the South African Army.
This area was their base for a time, many years ago, when South Africa controlled what is now Namibia.

Eventually, we stopped in a shady spot for lunch on the tailgate of the vehicle.
It consisted of various well prepared meats, cheeses, crackers, potato crisps, fruit and drinks, including bottled water, sodas, and cocktails with ice.
This game drive and lunch under the trees was a very pleasant way to spend our last day.

After lunch we pressed on, continuing our game viewing drive.
An 2 or 3 hours before supper time, we all were delivered to the river bank.
There, our boat was waiting and we boarded same for a ride back across the river to Ndovu Lodge.
Most evenings, including this one, we sat out on the large wooden deck, just outside the dining facility.
Here we enjoyed a perfect view of the river and visited with fellow guests, while enjoying gin & tonic or whatever anyone wanted from the bar.

When dinner was served, it was only a few steps to our table.
One evening the staff sang an Africa style tune and rhythm of “happy birthday” to one of the guests.
I videoed this but again, I don’t know how to load videos into the forum.
The birthday celebration was fun to watch and listen to.

We packed up and left the next morning, in route back toward our Lodge Aub, up in the Khomas region, for a bit more hunting.
I will post more on that soon.

Photos:
Kelley & myself on the boat, with Michael driving it.
A large crocodile approaching, perhaps hoping for a tossed fish head or a clumsy tourist for lunch.
Nduvo Lodge River Deck.
Close up of the approaching croc.
Young croc and a baby croc.
Good ol’ Juan.
Blueball Monkey.
Impala and warthog.
Buffalo on the run.
We never did figure out what he was running to or from.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.png
    IMG_2659.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2658.png
    IMG_2658.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2660.png
    IMG_2660.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2657.png
    IMG_2657.png
    10.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2656.png
    IMG_2656.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2654.png
    IMG_2654.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2648.png
    IMG_2648.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2647.png
    IMG_2647.png
    8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2642.png
    IMG_2642.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
A few more pictures from Ndovu Lodge, on The Okavango River.

Mrs. Velo Dog (Kelley), at the supper table.
Same same, trying her luck for tiger fish.
Ndovu Lodge, as seen from the air.
Elephants.
Young lioness.
Buffaloes.
More elephants.
Kelley, abiding in the no stress zone.
Outside dining deck at Ndovu Lodge.

Attachments

• IMG_2636.png
    IMG_2636.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2634.png
    IMG_2634.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1662.png
    IMG_1662.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1128.png
    IMG_1128.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1126.png
    IMG_1126.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0215.jpeg
    IMG_0215.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
Leaving Ndovu:

And so we packed up and left the Okavango River, Ndovu Lodge and our new friends behind.
This was a fun place and we vowed to return some day.

I believe this part of the river would probably have some very good fishing, when there is not an unusually heavy amount of rainfall, mudding-up the water.
Where myself and Kelley live (Alaska), sometimes the exact same thing happens.
You just have to say “oh well” and plan to try again some other day.

Anyway, Juan took us back to the Khomas Hochland Highlands, for a few more days of hunting.
I will post details and photos of our last few hunting days, ending our 2024 visit to Khomas Safaris’ new property, up in the rolling hills surrounding Aub Lodge.

Side Note:
My old geezer memory is so feeble that I thought we stopped at an excellent business called “Tikoloshe Carving Studio and Show Room” (or words to that affect), after the river trip.
Kelley corrected me on the timing of our visit (of Swiss decent, the tiniest details always matter to her).:censored:
We visited this remarkable business while traveling from Hentiesbaai, on the West Namibian coast, N/E up to the Caprivi Strip and Okavango River.

Be that as it may, attached below there are a few (a very few of the hundreds of carvings) within said studio for sale, plus a couple carvings that we brought back home.

Cheers for now,
Velo Dog.

IMG_2772.jpeg
IMG_2771.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg
IMG_2765.jpeg
IMG_2764.png
IMG_2760.png
IMG_2756.png
IMG_2747.png
IMG_2736.png
IMG_2731.png

Just a few more pics from the Tikoloshe Carving Studio and retail store ……

IMG_2763.png
IMG_2754.png
IMG_2741.png
IMG_2743.png
IMG_2725.png
IMG_2722.png
IMG_2723.png
IMG_2719.png
IMG_2718.png
IMG_2714.png

Return to Khomas:

Upon leaving Ndovu River Lodge, The Okavango River and The Caprivi Strip in general, we rolled along this road and that highway, until finally reaching Aub Lodge, up in the Khomas Hochland Highlands.
We spent the rest of that return to camp day, just relaxing and visiting, catching up with our fellow Alaskan, Don (1dirthawker).
He had remained there, while Kelley and myself were off to the Okavango River with Juan.

Also in camp there at Aub, were several interesting German fellows.
These guys were taking a break from their college studies in Europe.
They travelled to Namibia, in order to learn about wildlife conservation and the safari business as well, from Khomas Safaris.
This was a working holiday for them and Philip (owner of Khomas Safaris), kept them busy with various projects.
All of them spoke multiple languages and were intellectuals.
We enjoyed them very much.

Meanwhile, my wife (Kelley) had been sporadically seeing various sable, both during our 2021 safari with Philip and during this 2024 Safari as well.
She began talking about where in our home she would like to place a shoulder mounted sable.
Due to the difference in cost, Yours Truly has always preferred to hunt gemsbok instead of sable.
However since I am retired, Kelley’s income is more than mine now.
And she became somewhat insistent about wanting a sable.

Far be it from me to gripe about such a thing.
I figured it’d be a lot cheaper than the dang sauna she asked me to build for her.:ROFLMAO:
Off topic here, when Kelley saw the beautiful Finland style sauna that Don had built for his lovely wife, Carla (our houses are only a few kilometers apart), she wanted one as well.

So Kelley and I sat down with Juan and Philip to discuss this sable situation over some Windhoek lagers.
We concluded with a plan to have breakfast next morning before daylight and I would begin hunting with PH’s, Isaac and Juan, at first light.
Kelley would go along as well and decide to hike or remain with the truck as the day progressed.

Sable Hunting
Day 1:
We drove and glassed and walked and glassed and repeated same, all day.
There was a sable spotted here and there, but no mature bull.
Once, a young bull walked past the veranda, while we were back in camp having a lunch break.
I accused him of spying.
He pretended to not understand English.

I don’t mind telling you that by the time we returned to camp after sundown, I was quite tired, yes quite.

Day 2:
Same as before.

Day 3:
Ditto.

Day 4:
One of the German guys had been out in the bush, a long way from camp and reported back to Isaac where, by means of various landmarks, he had seen a large bull sable.
So off we went, walking fast over hill and dale, toward the place where this animal was last seen.
Kelley had walked with us for much of our sable hunting efforts but, she finally had played out and remained in camp during Day 4.

After the Bataan Death March, we finally arrived in the general vicinity of the reported sighting.
Isaac and Juan soon located spoor of what indicated to their expert eyes, a large sable.
Upon stopping in the shade and drinking plenty of water, we then slowed way down to carefully and quietly follow the hoof tracks.

It was getting late in the day and this was the last day I could hunt, as we had to fly home soon.
Everything, stick, rock and shadow all began to look like a jolly big sable bull.
However, as we topped a hill and began slowly to inch our way down the other side, suddenly Isaac set the sticks.
I placed the .375 and rested my thumb on the “Safety” catch.

At first I saw no animal.
Then, just across the narrow little valley below us and from behind a thicket of foliage over there, a big bull sable walked out partially into view.
He was below us and a ways down the face of his rather steep hill, across from ours.
He was clearly disinterested in standing still.
No doubt this regal animal did not grow so huge by standing around and staring at worn out old geezers carrying rifles.
The distance to him was perhaps 100 to 120 meters and growing further as he walked, right to left down hill…..

Flip catch lever to go position while settling crosswires on critter shoulder and press trigger.
Boom.
Nobody’s fault but mine, I gut shot this magnificent sable.
He staggered but recovered and bolted right to left, continuing down hill as he scrambled.
Immediately I ran my rifle as always, from the shoulder and swung with the running target, Boom.
Properly hit now, he went down.

We hot-foot it over to him, where I gave him a 3rd shot to be sure.
I felt horrible for my error on that all important first shot.
But, my 2nd shot was through the top of the left shoulder, (downhill angle), breaking the far shoulder, and he was then finished quickly.

Kelley would have her sable.
As the saying goes, “happy wife, happy life”.

Below are some photos.
These include of course the sable but also that dang sauna I mentioned building for Kelley, (she’s worth it), at our home in Alaska.
Don pitched in for that project as well.

NOTE:
I’ve noticed that when I try to number my photos in the order that I select them, they often rearrange themselves.
So, I won’t bother numbering them here.

I’ll eventually post a few more (very few) paragraphs and miscellaneous photos of the new lodge at Aub and of this April 2024 Safari in general, including a visit to Trophaendienste Taxidermy, to the Kudu Leather Products Store and to Joe’s Beer House, all at Windhoek.
However, today’s report on the 4 days of sable stalking, essentially ends the hunting portion of my story.

Thanks for reading,
Velo Dog out.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2086.png
    IMG_2086.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1316.jpeg
    IMG_1316.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2246.png
    IMG_2246.png
    5 MB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
js7880084

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?