My Rifle Setup for Buffalo and Plains Game - Very Soon

BC Tal

AH senior member
Reaction score
If you’ve been reading the forum for the last year, you’ll know @Just a dude in BC and I are leaving shortly to hunt with Dave Freeburn in South Africa. We’re going a bit earlier then the actual hunt to visit family, see the country and lose a bit of the jet lag before the hunt.

So this is my setup…

For my DG rifle I have a Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby with a Zeiss 1-4 in Warne rings. I threw a NECG red recoil pad on it, otherwise it’s bone stock. The loads are lovingly loaded Norma once fired brass stuffed with North Fork 400gr semi spitzers and 400gr Cup Point Solids over N560. Each load is sub MOA at 100m from the bench (when I do my part) and are about 1.5” from each other, perfectly level. 20 of each are going.

For my PG rifle i have a left hand Winchester Model 70 Safari Express that was originally in 375 H&H which had been previously re-bored to 416 Rem. I had it sent to K&S Arms in Edmonton to be re-barreled to 300 H&H with the same barrel profile and sights and barrel band re-installed. It wears a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 in Talley rings on Talley bases. The loads are also lovingly crafted from Norma once fired brass with North Fork 200gr semi spitzers over N560. 40 will go with me.

Now, before everyone gets their knickers in a twist all over again about re-barreling a nice Safari Express, here was my thought process. I’m a lefty, a down trodden, spit upon, thoroughly ostracized by the gun industry, lefty. I found the Ruger No 1 first. It was a steal of a price and to me, the falling block action is classic. I understand it’s limitations and it’s benefits on safari, and I accept it; we’ve been practicing our reloads. So I had the DG gun settled. The PG gun came after and i wanted a classic cartridge and if it wasn’t going to be another Ruger No 1, then a left hand bolt gun in control round feed. The Winchester came up for sale and the build was done.

The canvas sling is Galco with NECG sling swivels that fit both the Ruger and the Winchester, it will go on whichever rifle is leaving the truck.

The ammo wallet is also Galco. I’ve had 416 Rigby rds in it for a month now and the shell holders are the perfect fit for an easy draw. Once out of the truck I will hunt with the flap folded back inside my pant waist. It stays in place for an entire range session.

Both rifles fit into a Pelican 1750 case with custom dense foam.

There we are. Let me know what you think!

IMG_0816.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

Ruger #1 would not be my choice for DGR but I'm right-handed so my thoughts on that are non-applicable. In 416 Rigby that gun must be handful. I don't see any problem rebarreling a Model 70 that's already had the barrel changed once.
I would not hesitate to change a 416 into 300 H&H. In fact, that's probably the only way I would shoot a 416 Rigby rifle.

Your Edmonton gunsmith must have done substantial modification to change a 416R Model 70 into 300 H&H. The bolt face had to be shrunk considerably. I presume bottom metal was also changed. Probably he just ordered new bottom metal? Is yours a CRF Model 70 or one of the push feed guns they made for a while? Interesting.

Last edited:
I think get to Africa and start hunting if that is what ya want. It ain’t rocket science. What ya got will do the job

Ruger #1 would not be my choice for DGR but I'm right-handed so my thoughts on that are non-applicable. In 416 Rigby that gun must be handful. I don't see any problem rebarreling a Model 70 that's already had the barrel changed once.
I would not hesitate to change a 416 into 300 H&H. In fact, that's probably the only way I would shoot a 416 Rigby rifle.

Your Edmonton gunsmith must have done substantial modification to change a 416R Model 70 into 300 H&H. The bolt face had to be shrunk considerably. I presume bottom metal was also changed. Probably he just ordered new bottom metal? Is yours a CRF Model 70 or one of the push feed guns they made for a while? Interesting.

The No 1 Tropical with rings and scope is over 10lbs, so the weight helps with the recoil. I've put over 140 rounds of 416 Rigby down the tube in the last 8 months. The recoil is really not that bad off the sticks. I'm quite use to it now.

No changes to the action or bolt of the Winchester, only a re-barrel. The base and rim diameter of 375 H&H, 416 Rem mag and 300 H&H are all exactly the same. There was no mods to the action. It's a CRF, no push feed.

The No 1 Tropical with rings and scope is over 10lbs, so the weight helps with the recoil. I've put over 140 rounds of 416 Rigby down the tube in the last 8 months. The recoil is really not that bad off the sticks. I'm quite use to it now.

No changes to the action or bolt of the Winchester, only a re-barrel. The base and rim diameter of 375 H&H, 416 Rem mag and 300 H&H are all exactly the same. There was no mods to the action. It's a CRF, no push feed.
I'm reading that 416 Rigby has a 14.99 mm rim and 300 H&H and 375 have 13.5 mm rims. Not the same. I have questioned just how much "slop" is allowed on a bolt face before extraction and/or ejection are compromised. Haven't found a good answer yet. The instructions from Duane Weibe's book for converting standard Mauser action military rifle into thumper dangerous game rifle specifies opening the bolt face and extractor just enough for a fully loaded cartridge to remain suspended on the bolt face of bolt removed from the action.

That No 1 is deceptively heavy. This 404 Jeffery I built on a standard 98 Mauser with heavy #5 profile 24" barrel, lots of wood, 30mm scope, rail, QD rings, and fully loaded with four big cartridges weighs just slightly less than ten pounds.
20240420_112851.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reading that 416 Rigby has a 14.99 mm rim and 300 H&H has a 13.5 mm rim. Not the same. I have questioned just how much "slop" is allowed on a bolt face before extraction and/or ejection are compromised. The instructions from Duane Weibe's book for converting standard Mauser action military rifle into thumper dangerous game rifle specifies opening the bolt face and extractor just enough for a fully loaded cartridge to remain suspended in the bolt face of bolt removed from the action.
You're confusing my two rifles. The Winchester was originally 375 H&H, re-bored to 416 Rem mag and re-barreled to 300 H&H. Both the 416 Rem mag and 300 H&H are based on the 375 H&H case.

I wouldn’t worry about answering those comments and questions. You’ve got a great setup and have been practicing from sticks with good ammo and premium bullets. Relax and enjoy your trip…then come home and tell us how it went!

I'm reading that 416 Rigby has a 14.99 mm rim and 300 H&H and 375 have 13.5 mm rims. Not the same. I have questioned just how much "slop" is allowed on a bolt face before extraction and/or ejection are compromised. Haven't found a good answer yet. The instructions from Duane Weibe's book for converting standard Mauser action military rifle into thumper dangerous game rifle specifies opening the bolt face and extractor just enough for a fully loaded cartridge to remain suspended on the bolt face of bolt removed from the action.

That No 1 is deceptively heavy. This 404 Jeffery I built on a standard 98 Mauser with heavy #5 profile 24" barrel, lots of wood, 30mm scope, rail, QD rings, and fully loaded with four big cartridges weighs just slightly less than ten pounds.
View attachment 624209
Nice rifle for sure.
And don't worry about the Ruger no.1 for DG. I will be there to back him up with a 500NE... Of course that 500 NE is also a Ruger no.1 :D

Nice rifles. Have a great time!

Have a great time. You will be fine with both and I totally agree with @Green Chile

Two classic African cartridges. Two great looking rifles that you’ve been practicing with off the sticks. The canvas sling with sewn in rubber strips is a nice touch too. You’re set up for a great trip. Let us know how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeanneBurn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available