My next "if I had the money" rifle purchase...

Blaser K95 or Fanzoj KB-1.

Also, a 404 Jeffery in my future I see, young Padawan. Not sure which make but case colour finished. Maybe Heym Express President?

Just to follow up, I did get a synthetic stocked K95 and also ordered a walnut one. It should be ready in two months or so. So far I love it and it is my go to rifle now.

So my next if I had the money would (will?) be 404J Heym.

I stand by my two previous answers of a Marlin 39A and a side by side, perhaps in a .410. However the 1895 is off the table, albeit in a 30-06, not a .405. Sooo... next up on the bucket list is Remington Model 81; a .35 Remington would be just dandy.

I would like to find a left handed .223 mini-Mauser action and have it built into a 6x45 in the classic English style with steel butt plate and open sights etc. and top it with a 1.5-5 leupold. Load it with 100 gr game kings and hunt small game like impala, blesbuck and warthogs in the bushveld.
@Nkawu
Zastava make a nice little left hand Mimi Mauser model 85 from memory. Forget the 6x45 and go the Sharpe's 25x45 a much better cartridge.
Screenshot_20211226-194411_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20211226-194343_Google.jpg

Bob

Just to follow up, I did get a synthetic stocked K95 and also ordered a walnut one. It should be ready in two months or so. So far I love it and it is my go to rifle now.

So my next if I had the money would (will?) be 404J Heym.
I've been eyeballing a straight stocked K95 30-06 with a S&B on GI that's on sale for $6K. Some nice wood on that thing too. If I didn't just get a F3 for Christmas...:rolleyes:

Good luck with the Heym. @TOBY458 had a beautiful Heym Martini in 404J that I drooled over for a while until he sold it.

Hey guys,

Stuck at home watching the kids today so I'm bored! So I was googling what firearms I'd buy if I had the money (I don't) and here's what I've come up with...
Cool thread topic & enjoyable responses - I am not a Glam Gun Guy but Glam Guns are enjoyable eye candy! Glam Guns teleport me back to childhood & Fancy Church Shoes = Mom scoldings, for not ALWAYS walking on the sidewalk.

My rifles, shotguns, & muzzleloaders are tools (handsome tools) but all intended for use afield. Yes: I have started gravitating away from synthetic, laminate & stainless to afew fancy Church shoe rifles I look to add to the barn (& use).

*: Lever. Win. 1895 Safari Centennial, T.R. Commemorative in .405 Win.
*: Bolt. Winchester M70 Classic, Super Grade Maple in .300 Win Mag.
*: Single. Ruger No.1, upgraded English Walnut in .375 H&H.
*: Old Modern. A. Uberti, 1885 Courteney Stalker in .303 British

Happy Trails …

@Nkawu
Zastava make a nice little left hand Mimi Mauser model 85 from memory. Forget the 6x45 and go the Sharpe's 25x45 a much better cartridge.
View attachment 443626View attachment 443627
Bob

7,62x39 also is a nice one ,plus Zastava uses ,308 barrel ala the Finnish optoon,but .311 work just fine. Also it tackles 210 hard cast ,220 Smk etc good in sub then, and 110 Vmax in ordiary speed,but meat ruin is little. Stick a suppy on it and it gives much versatillity and ("cough,cough better than some cough,Blackout")

I stand by my two previous answers of a Marlin 39A and a side by side, perhaps in a .410. However the 1895 is off the table, albeit in a 30-06, not a .405. Sooo... next up on the bucket list is Remington Model 81; a .35 Remington would be just dandy.
It seems we have similar tastes. I have a model 39A bought for $150 before the prices went crazy. I thought I would like a model 81 but after test firing one I found the barrel in a sleeve recoiling to be a bit unsettling. Which is strange as I adore Browning auto 5's. Had wanted a 35 rem for years and just acquired a marlin 336 in 35 rem this past summer. Took a doe with it this deer season and I love it.

The model 8/81 Rems are really fun guns, I have an 8 in the .25 Rem and an 81 in .30 Rem, both really good shooters. I nearly dropped the hammer on a .32 Rem yesterday but dithered too long and now its gone, but there are others.
Still have a .35 on the list too.

No argument from me about acquiring/using nice tools like guns. I love 'em and don't begrudge anyone who has or wants them. Over the years I've had a small number of really "nice" guns. I now have none. But what I have are as accurate and reliable as can be made with the most expensive being a put together big bore bolt rifle that cost about 2300.00 with the other bolts running between 1000-1400.00. I recently got back into the shotgun business, a little, after selling off most all. Got a couple of CZ-USA (Huglu Turkey) 20ga SxSs. After shooting a box or two of clays, I will say they are as well made, reliable and ergonomically correct for me as any I've owned or shot. One was 600.00 and the other 1000.00. The older 600.00 G1 model is as fast pointing, sleek and attractive as any high end SxS out there, IMO.

Adding more zeros to the end of the price tag can't enhance the effectiveness or utility of any of my current herd of user guns one bit. The art I have is on my walls- some oils and watercolors :) So the question in the OP is not currently relevant to my tastes or needs or dreams. If I have extra money it will go to travel, airfare, a new truck in a couple years, and so on :)

I think I'd buy a MacKay-Brown 20 Gauge, round action side by side with quail chokes and 28" barrels.

Or maybe a Granite Mountain Kurz actioned custom in 6.5 X 55 or 7 X57.

There are other demands on my wallet right now... including Tanzania.

@Jaegger ... I really like your list!

@MS 9x56 ... I believe you are correct. And I have never fired one. Only held a handful.

@sestoppelman ... I could be talked into an 8 instead. If it's an option I prefer pistol grip, and that's a lot more likely with an 81.

Read about Frank Hamer, the Texas Ranger who with others ended the bad ways of Bonnie and Clyde. Hamers favorite personal rifle was a Model 8 in .25 Remington. I had to get one. Its now a favorite shooter of mine, just plain fun.
Hamers depiction in the movie Bonnie and Clyde with Warren Beatty is completely ludicrous as portrayed by Denver Pyle.
These rifles have a very distinctive sound when they go off, hard to describe but very different. In the movie Ride the High Country with Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott, one of the bad guys, Warren Oates uses a model 8, caliber unknown.

Personally I’ve have been wanting a .280 Ross M10. A cool rifle, and cartridge that unfortunately got some bad press, much of which has been attributed to hearsay.

Mauser also produced rifles in this chambering, but I can’t say that I have ever noticed one for sale.

Last edited:
Model 70 Super Grade 300 H&H. Early gun with solid bolt, pancake cheek piece, steel butt and Lyman 48WSJ. One that has added character from hunting; no safe queen. I can see myself standing over a silver tip grizzly in the Brooks Range holding such a rifle. Until I find her I will use my plain Jane 300H&H.

Next rifle implies actually within reach price wise for me.
1. Another browning bar safari in 30-06.
2. A 100% QC inspected Christensen Ridgeline. (Only reason I haven’t bought one is the inconsistent issues from Christensen.
3. Some type of Lightweight suppressed .308 with short barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardLob

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.