My new Rand's hat is on the way...

As for “real hats” and straw versus beaver, straw is worn in the colder mountain and northern Great Plains country in spring and summer. I wear my Stetson straw hat during those seasons and it’s much more comfortable in warmer weather.
View attachment 534910

I wear my Resistol 20X beaver black hat in fall and winter and for more formal occasions. This might be a bit different than in Texas where it’s not so cold on average.

View attachment 534911

I’m not into custom hats because I wear them out too quickly. If y’all want to look at another custom maker, take a look at Greeley Hatworks. They’re in Colorado and you’ll also find them at the NFR (National Finals Rodeo) in Las Vegas every December.

Speaking of cowboys, I was ridin’ and shootin’ pretty early in life but not too proud of the red hat! Lol. First horse I rode was a big pony cross named “Dynamite.”
View attachment 534912
Most summer working hats around here are straw. Beaver is reserved for business, funerals, nice restaurants, or just because. Modern hunting hats by the custom makers typically are not classic western designs. They have much more in common with the fur felt hats worn when pith helmets finally went out of style.

Most summer working hats around here are straw. Beaver is reserved for business, funerals, nice restaurants, or just because. Modern hunting hats by the custom makers typically are not classic western designs. They have much more in common with the fur felt hats worn when pith helmets finally went out of style.
Thankfully @Kevin Peacocke is single handily bringing the pith helmet back into style. I think a quality maker should do a limited run of pithies with his coruthers and co logo on them. Perhaps they’ll even run an AH special

Thankfully @Kevin Peacocke is single handily bringing the pith helmet back into style. I think a quality maker should do a limited run of pithies with his coruthers and co logo on them. Perhaps they’ll even run an AH special
Uh ....... no?!?

Our Carruthers group all get their pithies from Melville and Moon, they are really well made. However they require an immediate adjustment to the breather on the top to open it out a bit to allow better air flow. Then they are much cooler. So we could call it the 'Cool Pithy', with the fashion pun coming in handy....

Being folically challenged I wear a hat 70% of the time so I do go through a lot of hats. I had a coonskin cap once but my dog ate it. Scared me so bad I could never spend a lot on a beaver fur hat.

The money could go to the Little Sisters of the Poor, and I am not wearing a pith helmet.

I do own one. It was Afrika Corps issue. I am not wearing it either.
What a safari partner that would make to a luftwaffe drilling

The money could go to the Little Sisters of the Poor, and I am not wearing a pith helmet.

I do own one. It was Afrika Corps issue. I am not wearing it either.
Just once, come on, and post a picture, a dare is cast.

Just once, come on, and post a picture, a dare is cast.
Happy to prove it exists, but I'm damned if I'll wear any Nazi kit. :oops: The goggles are the real deal as well.

africa corps1.jpg

africa corp2.jpg

That’s the Michael Caine model

I agree with you. It seems about 50 percent of the guys up in the high country seem to swap over to straw or palm leaf come spring and summer. I tried a palm leaf one summer, but I couldn’t ever warm up to it, and the crown cracked out of it after a couple of months. I have thought about replacing it, but I’ve never got around to it.

It’s funny you mention Greeley hat works. View attachment 534947The kid in the black hat had it built by Greeley Hat Works. They are just as good a custom maker as any. My silver belly there was made by Weather Hat Company out of Belle Fourche, SD. It’s been a pretty good lid.
Those are good looking hats, for sure.

Y
Yes, agreed. I didn’t mean to imply that western hats were the only good hats. I like your hats and the others posted and they look good on y’all. Damn good, actually. I would say though that western folks probably wear their cowboy hats more often than other folks wear their hats. It’s just part of everyday life in some areas. As for hunting, I’m usually in a ball cap when it’s mild or stocking hat when it’s cold so I guess I’m not a purist. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodgerSchr

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!