My new Rand's hat is on the way...

I regret that there is no Rand store here. Along with Enid that will get added as a destination when I come over for the DSC or SCI show next year.
Suggestion. If you plan to be fitted for a Rand Hat at DSC, be waiting for the doors to open and go directly to their booth. I got fitted at 9:01am on Friday at this years DSC Convention. I was the only customer there. By 9:45am their booth was full and remained full the entire day.

Suggestion. If you plan to be fitted for a Rand Hat at DSC, be waiting for the doors to open and go directly to their booth. I got fitted at 9:01am on Friday at this years DSC Convention. I was the only customer there. By 9:45am their booth was full and remained full the entire day.
Didn't realize you were planning to come over! The first single malt is on me.

Didn't realize you were planning to come over! The first single malt is on me.
I think you got you quotes crossed up and you meant to offer that single malt to Kevin. However, I think it would be appropriate for you to meet Kevin at the airport with your LandCruiser. :D Beers:

I did
I think you got you quotes crossed up and you meant to offer that single malt to Kevin. However, I think it would be appropriate for you to meet Kevin at the airport with your LandCruiser. :D Beers:
Love the old girl too much. The closest I'll get to I-35 in it is an overpass.

Funny Steve Martin quote about buying stuff..........

1684326249759.png

A hat some may like. I purchased this Akruba late last year. Really was looking for a copy of what Val wore in The Ghost and the Darkness. David Morgan, of Bothell, WA sells the Akruba line plus others. made in Australia, fur felt. Lined and vented. Well made hats. many styles and several colors. Bought the optional chin strap for windy days. Not a cowboy, don't own cattle, rode a horse only once. This model is called the Cattleman. Not wanting any more surgery on neck or head.

IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5315.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't have said it better. It is not just high end, it is about works of art that you can just see, feel and tell had care and the extra mile were put into them so that they are just pleasing. I find Maitland Smith lamps are in this category and yes, forgive me beating the drum again - the Ruger No1. You Americans don't realise what you did there, they should put one in the gallery of classic art along side the e-type jaguar.
Kevin I now completely understand the beauty of the Ruger No1. I very well may own one some day

I did

Love the old girl too much. The closest I'll get to I-35 in it is an overpass.
I suspect you have taken vehicles into nasty places. I35 between San Antonio and Dallas could almost be an equal to some of those nasty places. Wise decision.

A hat some may like. I purchased this Akruba late last year. Really was looking for a copy of what Val wore in The Ghost and the Darkness. David Morgan, of Bothell, WA sells the Akruba line plus others. made in Australia, fur felt. Lined and vented. Well made hats. many styles and several colors. Bought the optional chin strap for windy days. Not a cowboy, don't own cattle, rode a horse only once. This model is called the Cattleman. Not wanting any more surgery on neck or head.
That hat looks identical to my $20 grocery store fedora. Different hat band. Speaking of which, those who appreciate extra cylinders and carburetors should check out the horsehair hatbands the tweekers at Montana state prison make. Beautiful stuff. I think it's sold on ebay?

IMG_3263.jpg

An oldie but a goodie

That hat looks identical to my $20 grocery store fedora. Different hat band. Speaking of which, those who appreciate extra cylinders and carburetors should check out the horsehair hatbands the tweekers at Montana state prison make. Beautiful stuff. I think it's sold on ebay?
I am still dealing with bragging about shooting a 22 at skeet.

When one of us shoots 25 straight at skeet, you gotta throw your hat up and it gets shot all to hell. A $20 grocery store hat would come in handy. ;)

Is it just me noticing or does it seem there are two types of people whom don’t have the financial means to purchase bespoke items. Those who still appreciate the quality of the items and can appreciate them even if that at present are outside on their means and those who disparage them and hold them in contempt because their outside their means.

I guess it goes a lot like teeth on a skull mount to each his own.

Is it just me noticing or does it seem there are two types of people whom don’t have the financial means to purchase bespoke items. Those who still appreciate the quality of the items and can appreciate them even if that at present are outside on their means and those who disparage them and hold them in contempt because their outside their means.

I guess it goes a lot like teeth on a skull mount to each his own.
And there are those who see a different perspective as disparaging their own way of doing things. I have the means for sure, but writing big cheques for pretty stuff is not my hobby. Rather I'm addicted to hunting hard and lots. Buggering up someone's artwork in the process would be disrespectful. I can afford a top of the line range gun but why? I do very well breaking clays with my goose gun. May as well use the same shotgun year round. I don't have to worry about damaging my old A5's value if it gets wet or I shoot it bare handed (someone gave me shooting gloves a few years back ... used them once and they're still in the bag). Shooting one gun for everything can only help kill birds better ... and I'm sure they appreciate that over being wounded or slow death.

Some folks enjoy the style show when going to Africa or hunting elk in Montana and that's fine. Nothing wrong with it. Whatever makes them happy. I prefer to be an individual with my own style.

Tanks which hat is your picture above please? I saw your new Drover one but cannot find this Stewart Granger type on their website
That is because it is a "Burns" hat. I took the Granger picture to their CA store (closed since then) and said this is what I want. They took my measurements and delivered some months later, beaver of course. They are a bit more commercial than Rand's as they sell bunch of other stuff as well.

My AVERAGE is +22. Not bad for a guy in his 70s who's half blind ... literally. And lucky if I can shoot three boxes of ammo a week during the limited hours the club is open during the summer. If you like, I can send you some tips to help with your score.

My AVERAGE is +22. Not bad for a guy in his 70s who's half blind ... literally. And lucky if I can shoot three boxes of ammo a week during the limited hours the club is open during the summer. If you like, I can send you some tips to help with your score.

And here I thought that you were talking about a 22Lr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyceBeard

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!