My new Rand's hat is on the way...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just got an email that the hat I had ordered last year is ready and being shipped Monday. Here are the pictures they sent. I wanted it to be ready before my October hunt and they exceeded my expectations. Drover style 20X beaver with custom bead hat band with a light distress.

1684016263645.jpeg

1684016277377.jpeg

1684016295030.jpeg

Simple, understated and instantly classic with the slight distress…. Well done!

Whether it was your call or theirs the distressing was a good choice; on the rare occasion I go to cattle auction, you can always spot the new money investment ranchers(tax evasion professionals and insurance farmers) with the hats that only come out of the box for auction day.

Reminds me of the scene from Cowboys with John Wayne….

“They must have rode all over the territory to find that many brand new hats!”

Hah! Showed me yours, I’ll show ya mine. It’s on the way
7C0FEB57-0A67-4BF1-AF47-013768B00693.jpeg
in
EB4FAE83-D0CE-477D-A434-4229DBBBF5E9.jpeg
28B0AA9D-9897-4FEC-836D-5EB43D4E4B99.jpeg

Just got an email that the hat I had ordered last year is ready and being shipped Monday. Here are the pictures they sent. I wanted it to be ready before my October hunt and they exceeded my expectations. Drover style 20X beaver with custom bead hat band with a light distress.
Is wearing this hat in hot weather not a brain cooking experience?

Do me a favour and educate me about this hats name/design etc. Just have to know.

Simple, understated and instantly classic with the slight distress…. Well done!

Whether it was your call or theirs the distressing was a good choice; on the rare occasion I go to cattle auction, you can always spot the new money investment ranchers(tax evasion professionals and insurance farmers) with the hats that only come out of the box for auction day.

Reminds me of the scene from Cowboys with John Wayne….

“They must have rode all over the territory to find that many brand new hats!”
Easy now lol. You might step on some toes!

I agree in spirit but ordering something pre-distressed instead of distressing it yourself is subject to the same criticism IMO. If the real deal folks were privy to that info I know it would earn a disapproving glance. You can always tell the real deal when you see it. And vice versa.

I’ve got a lot of fond memories from trips to the sale barn when I was young.

The people watching is as good or better than a trip to Walmart.

Last edited:
Love that black Drover crease of Tanks. Mine is a Voyager crease with a pencil roll on the sides. Packer front and rear. Hope to take it to Zim next month. Wasn’t supposed to be ready until August. I usually wear a gimme hat in the heat in Africa. I’ll hafta look at the forecast. Strictly a cool weather hat for me. I’m usually an Open Road guy. If Tanks is rocking one, it’s gotta be cool. He’s got a lot of style

FD what is your hatband?? Horsehair??

Is wearing this hat in hot weather not a brain cooking experience?

Do me a favour and educate me about this hats name/design etc. Just have to know.
It is not for me. I was comfortable in August even when it got to 43 Celsius a few days last August. The one advantage, for me, compared to soft hats is the protection I get from branches and thorns in the jess. Also, the brim provides plenty of protection from the sun as evidenced below.

1684116821639.png

I wear hats majority of the time, shooting clays.

1684116877204.jpeg

Horse races with 4 generations...

1684116928948.jpeg

Or just enjoying NYC at Christmas, I had Rand's make me a "dress" hat as well.

1684117244216.jpeg

I should invest in Rand's considering the number of hats I have gotten from them over the years.

Attachments

• 1684116025205.png
    1684116025205.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
16841219711438903870232280299284.jpg

This crushable wool felt hat is genuinely distressed by twelve years of wearing. I bought it at an Oakhurst, California grocery store a few months before my son died in 2009. I was working at Yosemite then. Cost less than twenty bucks as I recall. It's made a couple trips to Africa but never to hunt. Brimmed hats are purely ornamental. They get knocked off in brush or blown off in the breeze. I wear a ball cap when hunting. Over the years I've gone through several beaver felt hats as an animal packer, ranch hand, and park ranger. This was my first crushable wool felt hat. I'll never go back to fur felt.

Both of those Granger hats look like they're barely sitting on his head. Wouldn't take much of a breeze to send them into the next zipcode, especially with all that hair to act as ball bearings. My hats tell me when I'm overdue for a haircut. They keep migrating down my forehead ... or across the parking lot.

What did Sean Connery wear in his role as Quatermaine?

Took a while to find an image I could use.
quartermaine.JPG

The hat has enough crown to stay on his head but the brim is definitely overkill. As is the length of that double rifle. Har, har! And only someone looking for a cheap vasectomy would carry a bare Bowie knife under his belt. That entire movie was all about fantasy so exaggeration is acceptable. Indeed exaggeration is what made it work. As for me, I am no character from the comic books. I am me.
20220823_161618.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doris0158

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!