My new Leather Cull belt and ammo slides

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just received my wife and I belts from Jaques Tredoux. The quality is amazing. And it smells good too :>)))
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg
IMG_1768.jpeg
IMG_1769.jpeg
IMG_1770.jpeg
IMG_1773.jpeg
IMG_1774.jpeg
IMG_1775.jpeg
IMG_1776.jpeg
IMG_1777.jpeg

Looks amazing! How long did you have to wait after your order and did you have any issues with customs? I've looked at this craftsman before, but was curious if and what needed to be done with U.S. customs.

Beautiful

Those look well made. Interesting design on the culling belt.

You know it’s good quality when they actually use gum on the edges instead of wax when it comes to leather goods

ftrovato, I really like that old style of cotton and leather. Can we see more pics of your ammo box ?

Love seeing more of his work. I agree, that ammo box is quite nice. Love to see the inside!

Connor, I agree. Although not a deal breaker if not done.

When the cut leather edges are burnished it show’s attention to detail and quality. And adds additional labor time.

So I ordered a culling belt as well. Service was quite quick for South Africa.

Apparently I should have specified the location of the shell holder. It never occurred to me that it would be placed on the left side. A right handed person normally works the action and loads with the right hand while the left hand merely holds the rifle. Should you order a Murray belt, you would have to specify the left side carry. I ordered this belt for use with my .275, so a fast reload won't be a problem, but I would never use this belt on a DG hunt.

The quality of the leather finish is also a little disappointing. The outer material is quite stiff and has cardboard like texture. In that regard, It is quite similar to the Els & Co. products of the same type. Hopefully it will become more supple with age.

Red Leg, I thought the cull belt was meant to carry the cartridges in the front. Or is that just personal preference. I agree with the leather used on the outside is more rigid than the leather used on the inside layer.

The inside is more supple and flexible.

Last edited:
That intrigues me as well. It's pictured with buckle right of the holder. I always assumed one would simply rotate the belt to the position you want it in. Also why I went with a belt and slides first, as I prefer them offset on my hips and wanted complete separation of solids and softs. I also place the buckle in middle of my back.

All the leather is bovine. The thick leather is vegetable tanned, the thin one on the inside is called Salvador Dark Chocolate, oil tanned.

I had a belt and 2 slides made also. And will be using that on my November Mule deer hunt.

Red Leg, I thought the cull belt was meant to carry the cartridges in the front. Or is that just personal preference. I agree with the leather used on the outside is more rigid than the leather used on the inside layer.

The inside is more supple and flexible.
Many people do carry in front. I think Buzz Charleton made that carry popular - even sticks his binos on his belly. Can't argue with his experience. That said, I personally do not care for that carry at all. My ammunition rides on my right hip whether hunting whitetail or buffalo. It is for me, the natural place to reach - simply drop my hand without looking. And I have absolutely no use for a buckle on the side or the small of my back.

This is a Murray design for .375 class rounds that has been across the pond many times. The leather quality is extraordinary - but, to be fair, so is the cost.

Please understand, I don't want to seem to be knocking the Tredoux product. It is very good quality for the price. I just have no use for the ammunition location and have been spoiled by my Murray's leather quality and construction - note for instance the fine double stitching rather than course single stitching.

Blaser R8 .375 Rifle

Last edited:
I of course defer to your experience and knowledge

I am the opposite. I don’t normally like anything on my hip :>))) except my big hog leg revolvers.

I even prefer my protection pistol, appendix carry, or in a small on my back, proper holster and training being key with those carry positions.

I admit it’s not mainstream. Heck I even carry my knives in an odd way
IMG_1782.jpeg

I have trouble with proper concealment on my hip. Ok I’ve sidetracked my own post.
IMG_1781.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CGfromNC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt