My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

Alright Rob I finely dug out mine in the back of the safe and snapped a few pics. It's a custom BRNO made way before I was born
KIMG0078.jpg

Love that old purple Leupey, got that same one sitting on my bench waiting for a tang safety, purple Ruger to put it on.

I just scrounged a Black plastic factory stock(YECK) to install while I refinish the Factory Wood stock

I know. When I had the guy dig this out behind a stack of rifles at the pawn shop. He was kinda like.
"That ole thing" With my best poker face I said I'll take it
I like Them Ole Things

Very cool and congrats on the new family member. I'm with ya, I think it's a neat caliber and for some reason I want one too.

S
I have found the Remington 700 Classic stock fits me perfectly and seems to ease the felt recoil in both my 300 H&H and 35 Whelen. Does anyone know if any other M700 models have the dimensions?
Strange I kind of like the way my wood stock fits me. I have just installed a plastic stock to use while I spend some time refinishing the Wood stock which has a few Love Marks on it

S

Strange I kind of like the way my wood stock fits me. I have just installed a plastic stock to use while I spend some time refinishing the Wood stock which has a few Love Marks on it

Rob if you have some time check out this interview with Rod Stevenson. Famous old school English gunsmith. Worked for Purdy and H&H. He talks about wood and finishing and checkering. Gives a few good pointers

A PH is scared by a new looking rifle but comforted by a used rifle that's been cared fore.

A very good pick up. You will not regret it. My first Whelen was a Rem Classic, one of those rifles I should never have sold. As far as I know the mag box on the Rem Whelen is the standard box they use for the 30-06. It is one of the longer of the standard length mag box's.
My first bolt action was a Rem 700 in 270. Well that barrel become shot out so I used a S/S 35 cal Lothar Barrel and now have another Whelen. 1in 12 twist and if I do my part 3 shots will clover leaf at 100mts.

My two sons and I went on a 10 day 6 animal Plains Game Safari this past August. All three of us used a 35 Whelen as our "big" gun. My oldest son used a TC Encore pushing 250 Gr Nosler Partitions. My youngest son used a Rem. 700 Classic with 225 Gr. Nosler Accubonds. I used a Sporterized Rem. 03-A3 with hand loaded 225 Gr. Barnes TSX bullets. All three performed admirably. Some of the animals dropped in their tracks, others ran less than 100 yards. I made a poor shot on an Eland that we had to track for 25 minutes. That one took a second shot, after which it dropped in less than 10 yards. What else can one ask of a hunting rifle? You certainly will not regret purchasing and or using your "new to you" 35 Whelen.

I'm in the Middle of re-finishing the wood stock. I don't know what kind of Poly or finish Remington used back in the 80s but this stuff is stubborn, meanwhile I'm heading to the range with some 250s to get it sighted in, I decided to sight it in at 150 yds that way it should be close at 100 and 200 yds

I'm in the Middle of re-finishing the wood stock. I don't know what kind of Poly or finish Remington used back in the 80s but this stuff is stubborn, meanwhile I'm heading to the range with some 250s to get it sighted in, I decided to sight it in at 150 yds that way it should be close at 100 and 200 yds

In the '80s Remington used a Polyurthane (sp) that was glossy and resistant to just about all known solvents. I recall stripping the finish on one, but it was a fulltime job. Whatever it was that finally dissolved it is probably outlawed now by the EPA.

In the '80s Remington used a Polyurthane (sp) that was glossy and resistant to just about all known solvents. I recall stripping the finish on one, but it was a fulltime job. Whatever it was that finally dissolved it is probably outlawed now by the EPA.
Yea the stuff I bought won't put a dent in it,,looks like a lot of sandpaper time

Yea the stuff I bought won't put a dent in it,,looks like a lot of sandpaper time
I finished he stock with a medium grit paper and gave it a water bath. I'll let it dry overnite then hit it with 220 grit,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawannaIli

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well