My First African Hunting Experience (advice PLEASE)

Sorry you had bad treatment by an outfitter. There are many great outfitters that provide an exceptional service no matter what the client spends.
I would suggest going to DSC or SCI and talk to a number of outfitters, read a number of hunt reports by many of us here on AH. Make a list of what you and your future wife want to hunt. also remember in the back of your head to have the funds to take two extra "What Africa Gives you animals"

Looks at the quality outfitters here on AH and reach out to them.

Lastly ask questions of folks here as we are a very helpful bunch. If you want specific questions of recommendation on plains game and Dangerous game PM the individual with your questions. I would gladly give you a call to explain how my wife and I go through our detailed selection process for where and who to hunt with.

But most of all don't give up on your dream and enjoy the whole experience. of planning, to the hunt, and a lifetime of memories.

1) Don't let this experience sully your opinion of Africa or let it keep you from trying again,
2) Everybody has a different idea or ideal for what they want from an African hunt. I can almost promise you that whatever your ideal for an African Safari, there's an outfitter/PH that can provide exactly that experience but you'll have to do a lot of research to find them then communicate effectively to make sure they know exactly what your wants and needs are.
3) It will take between 12 and 24 months of researching outfitters and reading AH before you'll get a clear idea of what you want and how to find a safari company that can make it happen. It's part of the fun so enjoy that time, don't take short-cuts, and consider it as an integral part of the safari itself.
4) It sounds like you and I have similar expectations - PM me if you want a recommendation on an Outfitter than can hit the ball out of the park for you.

I appreciate all the advice, and I will take it all on board.

My fiancé and are both big hunters, so now the question lies on another all out plains game hunt or a leopard (my lifelong dream).

The moment I got on the plane I told myself that Africa hadn’t seen the last of me.
Such a unique continent, and I don’t think I will ever see enough of it in my lifetime.

Thank you all.
If you do decide to go for leopard next hunt make sure you research the success rates of the area. Then balance it out with price and what you expect to see for plains game and other dangerous game. Private land ranch hunts in Namibia probably have lowest success on leopard but you will see the most plains game. True safari areas in wild Africa will give you the highest success rates on leopard but you shouldn’t expect to see abundant plains game in all of them. The best deal on leopard usually has a high risk of leaving without a leopard.

Glad you still enjoyed your hunt, I probably would not have shot the bushbuck from the truck but driven past and stalked back, I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot from the truck on baboon or on a night predator hunt. Mixed feelings on the collaboration on the eland, they are huge and if not hit well they can travel a LONG ways with their ground eating trot. Glad you anchored him in place so it was a non issue. The only animal a PH backed me up on was a Kafue lechwe and he almost shot his ear off, I was not real happy about his aim. I would have really been pissed if I was told a warthog was too big for me and they let someone else shot it. The kudu business was handled poorly and should have been taken up in private between the PH and the owner. Do you care to name the outfitter? For others to know what they might be getting into?

So, this warthog was too big for you !

I know Outfitters are in this business for the money, but this is really too much !

Wish you better luck next time.

I can't add anything others haven't already said. I can share, in brief, my own experiences.

I got my start on this site. I had great offers from some places that I am sure offer first class services. I did book with a lodge in South Africa (Eastern Cape). Through speaking with references, I had a pretty good vibe before my first hunt. I have now hunted with them twice, and what they offer exceeded my expectations. I will be adding a hunt report about the second hunt in the coming days.

What I like about them: a small operation, as far as hunter numbers. (I was the ONLY one in camp this past trip, as another party cancelled late.) They have properties large enough to satisfy my requirements for fair chase, and the herds are self sustaining. (Someone mentioned sable; I saw new for the year sable young while I was there, in the herds.) And there has never been any pressure - on animals or shots or anything. I have always felt like they have tried very hard to meet with my expectations on everything. There has been no hunting from a truck. In fact, on this past trip we averaged 5-8+ miles of hiking per day, with a enough blown stalks to keep me honest, before succeeding.

Again, two trips in. I plan to hunt with them again, with my daughters someday - that fell through this time. Two trips in and I have managed 18 critters, made good friends for life, and had a grand time.

One last note: while RSA seems to get dragged through the mud a bit, because of the acts of a few, there are very good opportunities to be had there, and my hunts are, I think, proof of that. @Mark A Ouellette mentioned how many operations are in South Africa. That was a topic of conversation with my PH (Don Laaks - he freaking rocks!!!!) and he told me there are currently 5000+ registered game farms in RSA, so it's not hard to imagine with that many places a few are going to be "bad apples"; the law of averages says as much.

Best of wishes on your own planning. I'm already trying to figure out how to get trip number 3 off the ground.

Not much to add BUT ;) not sure I'd do a leopard for a honeymoon trip, especially if your new wife hunts also. Lots of driving, boring bait checking, fruitless sits etc.

I'd be all over a nice, low pressure PG hunt where you both can sit back a little and enjoy. Save leopard for 5 yr anniversary :love:

Totally agree with Buck Wild , depending on where you hunt leopard. It may be long nights sitting over a bait and even pushing 60 I can think of much better things to do at night on a honeymoon trip!

Not much to add BUT ;) not sure I'd do a leopard for a honeymoon trip, especially if your new wife hunts also. Lots of driving, boring bait checking, fruitless sits etc.

I'd be all over a nice, low pressure PG hunt where you both can sit back a little and enjoy. Save leopard for 5 yr anniversary :love:
Just looking at the hunting I’d agree with you, but who knows what leopard importation will look like in 5 years.

Look for the PH that is more about creating an experience for you rather than the number of animals you will take in so many days. You have to decide on whether or not you are a collector or a hunter. Either is ok but where you go and who you go with will depend on what you are looking for and where to look for it. I went to Tanzania on my first trip and in the words of the great Robert Ruark and Hemingway, I never left and I am going back to have another experience.

On another note my wife who is not the hunting type went and now misses hunting camp. And she too wants to return.

So, this warthog was too big for you !

I know Outfitters are in this business for the money, but this is really too much !

Wish you better luck next time.

Yeah, if an outfitter said that to me I’d kill the warthog and then deal with the outfitter. He wouldn’t care for the outcome!

Sorry about your hunt. Here are my rules when hiring a hunt.
1 due diligence and references. Both easy right here on AH
2 large property only >50,000 acres let’s say
3 naturally occurring animals only
4 Talk to ph you will be hunting with to make sure you are a good fit
5 this group AH MAKES THIS REALLY EASY IF YOU REACH OUT AND ASK QUESTIONS!

Reactions: WAB
I grew up still hunting (which by definition is moving around extremely slowly and quietly, stopping often and trying to see game before they see you- then closing the distance for best shot if needed). I also sat and watched in likely areas for ambush- saddles, intersecting game trails., etc. Also some pure glass, spot and stalk hunting. All this in the mountains and rougher country of the western US. Africa norms are different. It is hard to communicate the concept of different hunts methods to even experienced PHs who have spent a lifetime cruising in a cruiser or, if they have the right animal and good trackers, tracking. But still hunting is something many of them have little experience with. There seems to be little understanding of it in the sport hunting culture in Africa. Plus it wouldn't work so well with one to three trackers, a hunter and the PH single filing it around in tight cover trying to still hunt. Plus some PHs are used to a type of hunter who also is not exactly a still hunting type hunter. So many PHs IMO have gained a habit of catering to those hunters and thus re-enforcing a different method of hunting.

Once I was in a perfect area for still hunting bushbuck... slightly broken and rolling woodlands of mature hardwoods next to a river. Lots of bushbuck. I tried hard, but to no avail, to convince my PH that the correct method or the method I wanted to try was still hunting where only the PH and I were involved. It soon became apparent that he did not have a clue what still hunting was.... and there was no way to explain it and overcome the years of his habit of how bushbuck should be hunted. I didn't let it affect the overall trip, but I learned how different hunters and traditions and backgrounds can affect the relationship between the hunter and the guide.

And the part of the OP's story about the double tap shot so the eland won't get away unfortunately is more common than most believe in the guiding business- or willing to admit. Some hunters want it and expect it, some are afraid to tell their PH not to do it, some hunters don't know any better and some, conversely, do not want that attitude anywhere in the relationship during the hunt. Over the years I've noticed both in the US and in Africa, many guides and PHs are similar in that they too like to shoot, so may take advantage of opportunities (or excuses) to do so. Here in the US the old double tap shot is common on grizzly and brown bear. ssssshhhhh just don't say it too loud in certain company- it may be a "best left unsaid" type thing. :) If I can't do the job in a reasonable, acceptable manner on whatever animal I am hunting, why in the hell am I hunting it in the first place. IMO, back up shots and such should be very rare and fully accountable as to necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fgrttuyty673

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]