My First African Hunting Experience (advice PLEASE)

Huntingadventures

Reaction score
This post has been in the making, and I will try to keep it as concise as possible. I do not wish to tarnish the reputation of any specific outfitter or country, but I would like to gather some opinions.
I hope this is in the right thread. If it needs moved sorry, I am new to this.

Little backstory. My Uncle decided to fufill his lifelong dream and go all out plains game hunt. When I say all out I am talking about 15+ species. He natrually invited his son who purchased 10 species. I was invited last minute, 7 months, and could only afford 3/4 animals with 10 days of hunting. Note: my uncle and cousin went for 18 days

Now, each of us had a very unique experince/ treatment.

My uncle was given the red carpet. Which I will get into later
My cousin had to fight for similar treatment
I was coddled to say the least.

Do not mistake me for an amature hunter, I grew up hunting all over the USA and Canada and have been shooting all my life (28 years old at the time of the safari).

I had paid for an Eland, Bushbuck, Warthog, and an Impala. It was June, but we had unusual storms that brought light showers most days.

Day 1: I arrived from the airport without any problems and reached the property. My gun and I still shot lights out.

Day 2: We drove in a truck, searching for game when we came across a large Bushbuck bull. The boss and my cousin began yelling at me to shoot it. Here lies the problem: I didn't want to hunt from a truck, as the bull didn't appear to be scared, and I felt pressured into shooting what I can only assume was a pen-raised Bushbuck. It seemed like they wanted me to quickly finish my hunt so they could focus on the others. I regret giving in to that pressure.

Days 3-10: My PH and I spent our time sitting in a blind at a waterhole, waiting for an Eland bull. However, my PH kept insisting, "There's no reason to sit here; it has rained, and they won't need to drink."

We both tried speaking to the boss/owner about this issue, but to no avail. What's more, my PH even told me, "If we get a big bull in, you must wait for me to be ready because I will need to follow up on your shot. These bulls will not go down and I dont want to search all day"

I was honestly offended by this statement. I am capable of shooting very well, even up to and beyond 300 yards, let alone just 50 yards from the watering hole. During our gun testing after the flight, my shots were consistently sub-MOA. Despite the grueling and slow days in the blind, I managed to tag out, and no, I did not have him follow up on my shot.

Now, onto my cousin's story. His main target species was a Kudu, and he spent the better part of 10 days searching for one, but couldn't find one let alone a "trophy" specimen.

Despite being instructed by the boss to "sit in a blind," my cousin's PH decided to take matters into his own hands and took my cousin to a "special area." Whatever that meant. Not surprisingly, my cousin spotted an impressive bull (58") and made a terrific shot.

The boss was furious, completely unhinged, and complained about how difficult it is to access or leave the area. The boss was very upset. Nevertheless, my cousin's hunt concluded with 4 days remaining.

Moving on to my uncle, he was treated exceptionally well and given every opportunity to harvest his animals. After my bushbuck mishap, we went out again and successfully stalked a very large warthog. However, when I went to position myself for the shot, as i was told to by the boss, I was then told to step aside and that it was too big for me and that my uncle needed to fill his tag first. It's worth noting that we paid the same price for our warthogs.

Furthermore, my uncle encountered significant challenges while pursuing the elusive gray ghost. So, where did the boss tell him he HAD to go? "The special place."

Please note that this special place was a vast area, and I didn't misread or misunderstand the situation regarding my cousin's experience. There wasn't just a single large bull in that area; hence, my uncle also shot a magnificent bull (60"). This disparity in treatment was evident.

Okay, so it wasn't all bad, and I genuinely enjoyed my time in Africa. However, I left with a sense of unfulfillment and slightly disheartened.

As I prepare for my upcoming hunt in summer 2025, which coincides with my honeymoon with my soon to be wife, I realize the importance of being more upfront with my PH. Reflecting on my past experience, where I felt somewhat neglected, I acknowledge that I should have clearly communicated my expectations more effectively (with the exception of the Bushbuck, which I regret shooting).

So, what is the best way to avoid similar issues in the future?

Wow! Is about all I can say.
Book your next hunt with any of the reputable outfitters here on AH and you will have a fantastic hunt. There are many great outfitters here on AH that will give you the true experience and no pressure hunt.

It sounds like this was your uncle’s hunt and the outfitter took you and your cousin to make some extra money without a plan as long as your uncle left happy. The bushbuck I honestly would have no problem shooting from vehicle. They disappear as quickly as you see them. I wouldn’t suspect the bushbuck was introduced without more cause because they are one of few animals that will escape high fence so not worth introducing for a put and take. I would suspect he was angry about 58” kudu because it was either introduced for breeding or a specific client. If he was a professional he should have taken it up with PH privately. The client shouldn’t be aware of him being angry. He should have been very happy to have a client leave with a 58” kudu otherwise.

My recommendation to avoid this in future is go on your own hunt. Book it yourself with an outfitter you think is a good fit. Meet the outfitter and PH at shows or talk over phone when choosing outfitter to make sure your goals line up. From your description, I’d suspect these were freelance PHs just brought in for your hunt, no long established relationship with outfitter. Ask outfitter how many PHs work for him full time and how long they’ve been with company. It will say a lot about the outfitter, his areas, and how he treats people. No one wants to admit this, but there are a lot of PHs and outfitters in South Africa who have lost their passion for hunting, but it still brings in good money so they stay with it. It sounds like this was just a business to the outfitter. This is something you can try to pick up on as well meeting at shows or through discussions. Ask how many clients a year an outfitter takes as well. I’d generally prefer to hunt with a small outfitter in South Africa and one where owner is still hunting as PH himself and still has a passion for it and knows his areas well.

I know you didn’t want this to be about criticizing a country. But bad practices are much more common in South Africa than Namibia. I really think it’s because game farming is less intense and more land is available there but also it’s more difficult to become a PH and outfitter in Namibia. The Namibian professional hunter’s association holds its members to an ethical standard where PHASA appears more of an information service to members. I’d ask a lot less questions going to Namibia. I think the standard is held much higher there, but still has similar hunts and pricing to South Africa. Consider Namibia next time instead.

Also, I’ve shot 7 or 8 now with 308 win to 375 H&H. I’ve never had a PH tell me they are going go back me up because they don’t want to track a blood trail. Eland actually go down pretty easy. It shows a lack of interest in hunting to me (or possibly lack of experience). I reread you were 28 at time of hunt. Hunting with someone close to your own age that still wants to hunt hard I think would be a better fit for you. There are a lot of very good PHs and outfitters in their 30s that have hunted long enough to have gained a good reputation but still have the drive to hunt.

I feel for what you went through. I have had one bad safari that I would not care to repeat but it wasn't any cheaper than the ones that were fantastic. I think @375Fox has summed up the issues nicely. I would only add that even in South Africa you should be able to find what you are looking for and get a high quality safari (and free range if you want it). I have learned to ask lots and lots of questions ahead of time and to take any evasion, equivocation, or impatience to mean that the answer or information is negative and proceed accordingly. Good luck in the future and I hope this doesn't turn you off from Africa and the truly remarkable experiences that can be had there.

Book a safari for you as the lone hunter.

Good advice from the folks above. If you follow it, I think you will have a very different take on hunting Africa.

Good advice provided above. Your experience should never happen. I would avoid that outfitter like the plague. He was extremely unprofessional and discourteous.

It sounds like you’re a serious hunter. If you want a challenging hunt at plains game prices, do a proper tracking hunt for eland in Botswana or Namibia. I would look at Ghanzi in Botswana or Otavi in Namibia.

Very sorry to hear what happened to you. It should have never went down like that at all.

Maybe be little help to you now but I would not think the bushbuck was just put there as they are hard to keep in. If you did nt want to shoot they should have made a plan to try and stalk it. They are very hard to hunt though so I would not be to hard on yourself on how you took the ram.

Hope your next hunt is much better.

This post has been in the making, and I will try to keep it as concise as possible. I do not wish to tarnish the reputation of any specific outfitter or country, but I would like to gather some opinions.
I hope this is in the right thread. If it needs moved sorry, I am new to this.

Little backstory. My Uncle decided to fufill his lifelong dream and go all out plains game hunt. When I say all out I am talking about 15+ species. He natrually invited his son who purchased 10 species. I was invited last minute, 7 months, and could only afford 3/4 animals with 10 days of hunting. Note: my uncle and cousin went for 18 days

Now, each of us had a very unique experince/ treatment.

My uncle was given the red carpet. Which I will get into later
My cousin had to fight for similar treatment
I was coddled to say the least.

Do not mistake me for an amature hunter, I grew up hunting all over the USA and Canada and have been shooting all my life (28 years old at the time of the safari).

I had paid for an Eland, Bushbuck, Warthog, and an Impala. It was June, but we had unusual storms that brought light showers most days.

Day 1: I arrived from the airport without any problems and reached the property. My gun and I still shot lights out.

Day 2: We drove in a truck, searching for game when we came across a large Bushbuck bull. The boss and my cousin began yelling at me to shoot it. Here lies the problem: I didn't want to hunt from a truck, as the bull didn't appear to be scared, and I felt pressured into shooting what I can only assume was a pen-raised Bushbuck. It seemed like they wanted me to quickly finish my hunt so they could focus on the others. I regret giving in to that pressure.

Days 3-10: My PH and I spent our time sitting in a blind at a waterhole, waiting for an Eland bull. However, my PH kept insisting, "There's no reason to sit here; it has rained, and they won't need to drink."

We both tried speaking to the boss/owner about this issue, but to no avail. What's more, my PH even told me, "If we get a big bull in, you must wait for me to be ready because I will need to follow up on your shot. These bulls will not go down and I dont want to search all day"

I was honestly offended by this statement. I am capable of shooting very well, even up to and beyond 300 yards, let alone just 50 yards from the watering hole. During our gun testing after the flight, my shots were consistently sub-MOA. Despite the grueling and slow days in the blind, I managed to tag out, and no, I did not have him follow up on my shot.

Now, onto my cousin's story. His main target species was a Kudu, and he spent the better part of 10 days searching for one, but couldn't find one let alone a "trophy" specimen.

Despite being instructed by the boss to "sit in a blind," my cousin's PH decided to take matters into his own hands and took my cousin to a "special area." Whatever that meant. Not surprisingly, my cousin spotted an impressive bull (58") and made a terrific shot.

The boss was furious, completely unhinged, and complained about how difficult it is to access or leave the area. The boss was very upset. Nevertheless, my cousin's hunt concluded with 4 days remaining.

Moving on to my uncle, he was treated exceptionally well and given every opportunity to harvest his animals. After my bushbuck mishap, we went out again and successfully stalked a very large warthog. However, when I went to position myself for the shot, as i was told to by the boss, I was then told to step aside and that it was too big for me and that my uncle needed to fill his tag first. It's worth noting that we paid the same price for our warthogs.

Furthermore, my uncle encountered significant challenges while pursuing the elusive gray ghost. So, where did the boss tell him he HAD to go? "The special place."

Please note that this special place was a vast area, and I didn't misread or misunderstand the situation regarding my cousin's experience. There wasn't just a single large bull in that area; hence, my uncle also shot a magnificent bull (60"). This disparity in treatment was evident.

Okay, so it wasn't all bad, and I genuinely enjoyed my time in Africa. However, I left with a sense of unfulfillment and slightly disheartened.

As I prepare for my upcoming hunt in summer 2025, which coincides with my honeymoon with my soon to be wife, I realize the importance of being more upfront with my PH. Reflecting on my past experience, where I felt somewhat neglected, I acknowledge that I should have clearly communicated my expectations more effectively (with the exception of the Bushbuck, which I regret shooting).

First I would never book with that outfitter again. Second given your next hunt is in 2025 go to both the 2024 DSC and SCI and personally meet and talk to the outfitters. Third go on our forem and just enter the name of a potential outfitter…a list of hunt reports should come up. Just my opinion, I just would not hunt with an outfitter I could not find good information about on our website. That may upset some but I have never had a bad safari either. I would also take your fiancé with you to both shows so she can get a feel for the accommodations and things to do if she is not a hunter. You will be glad you did. Good luck

There are one, two, maybe three thousand or more safari outfitters in South Africa. Like any service, with that many providers, statically the quality of their products will vary.

As other members stated above, read hunt reports posted on this site. While our members are 99% friendly and respectfully, few will pull any punches. There are quality outfitters like @Lex Strauss SAFARIS who will provide a quality hunt for your dollars. I haven't hunted with Lex, yet, but after many communications with him, I think I will soon.

For taking non-hunting family with you, well I did that twice. The first hunt I don't talk about. The next time I took my wife to @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS where for a family hunt, everything was perfect! I also hosted my wife's sister and family there for a long weekend. Stuart, Rudi, and Chef Karin could have not been better hosts. The following are my two-phased hunt report, just to get you started!

All the above stated, there are many fine outfitters in sub-Saharan Africa. By all means spend a lot of time reading hunt reports by members here, and taking to the outfitters. Doing that will guide you to an outfitter who you may well hunt with more than once!

First of all, the safari operator you hunted with was an unprofessional jackass. Nobody should ever feel like they have to tolerate being treated as you were.

There are many good operators & PH’s in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana & Zimbabwe who could give you and your new wife a fantastic hunt & vacation, so take your time to consider multiple options.

There are plenty of very good operators who advertise here that you should have no problem finding just what you want. One who I can recommend without the slightest concern is Ernest Dyason of Spear Safaris. I’ve hunted with his company and knowing how detail oriented they are, am confident you’d enjoy a wonderful trip with your wife. He’s a very good PH, his wife Marita can plan excellent things for the two of you and they’re wonderful hosts. And, there are others so don’t ever go with someone like you ended up with on the hunt you’ve been on.

PS, if someone told me they would back me up as soon as I shot an eland, I’d tell him to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. There is no reason for anyone to put up with that mindset.

Shake it off. Bad outfitters are the exception, not the rule. You’ve received some great advice. Don’t give up on Africa. Also, bushbuck are difficult to hunt and can’t really be domesticated. It might take you a while to get another one.

Next time, hunt a large property where you can do some spot and stalk and tracking. Let us know what you get arranged.

I appreciate all the advice, and I will take it all on board.

My fiancé and are both big hunters, so now the question lies on another all out plains game hunt or a leopard (my lifelong dream).

The moment I got on the plane I told myself that Africa hadn’t seen the last of me.
Such a unique continent, and I don’t think I will ever see enough of it in my lifetime.

Thank you all.

Be direct and honest with your expectations with your next outfitter.
Go hunting after you have vetted several of them and when you are happy with all answers.

That being said, practically all of
the outfitters and sponsors on this forum are vetted and proven, and going to safari with any of them will be rewarding experience.

To each his own, but my view on your notes:
most probably I wouldnt be overly thrilled either.

Spending safari days by shooting from truck, or sitting in the blind is not the way how i see PG safari.
Bushbuck and kudu are animals to stalk, eland is animal to stalk and look for by tracks.
That should be the way how safari is done.

If you have more animals on the list, stalking and tracking each of them can take longer time from usual package. So, total number of days to be discussed and agreed with outfitter.

Sitting in blind, can be additional experience, but not the main experience of PG safari.
Exemptions are for clients that have difficulty to walk, or specific animals hunted from blind. Like croc or leopard.

Go to one of the shows and meet your ph, state specifically that you want to meet and discuss hunt with the ph you will be hunting with. Know exactly how you want to hunt and state it emphatically with no negotiation. If they can’t accommodate-move on.

Sadly I hear more and more stories like this coming out of SA, very few coming from other countries that hunt more wild concessions. It still pays to know exactly what you want and how you want to do it. Search for outfitters that have been around for a long time and check references.

If you want direct information I would be glad to give you a short list of who I have had great experiences with and give you contact information. You can use the private message feature to start a conversation.

As mentioned before there are a helluva lot of good ph’s on this sight, you are in the right place to get good information

Many of us have posted hunt reports. I would spend some time going through them. They will provide some thoughts on outfitters. Keep a list of who has hunted where, and then PM clients of outfitters on your short list.

I appreciate all the advice, and I will take it all on board.

My fiancé and are both big hunters, so now the question lies on another all out plains game hunt or a leopard (my lifelong dream).

The moment I got on the plane I told myself that Africa hadn’t seen the last of me.
Such a unique continent, and I don’t think I will ever see enough of it in my lifetime.

Thank you all.
You will not regret it. I am going after my leopard on my 6th Safari with TSALA with a good friend on our forum in 25 in Moz. One thing I started on here with all our members having fun with it is our 3 year plans…we have seen the US, Canada and Africa in some peoples vision. As for me my vision is the big 5 one day. After 25 if successful only have the Rhino to go. Half the fun is the long term planning and practice that is so much fun!!!!

We had to interview several PHs before we found our guy. Not everyone is going to fit your personality, or hunting style, that's okay. We all have the right to spend our money with the outfitter that is going to give us our best experience possible.

Like others have said, we have a lot of good information on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChuWnz1204

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]