My calibers for hunting in Africa

OK, let us try to salvage something here...
haven't you seen all the stupid provocations and insults arrived before? Did you prefer to keep silence? Why?

1) Nobody insulted or provoked you @308W, you asked for opinions, and received them.

2) The fact that these opinions are in their vast majority not aligned with yours is not a personal attack.

3) People (myself included) supplied data on bullet weight, bullet type, velocity, drop, energy, etc. not to be "ostentatious" (I think that is the term you used about me) but to substantiate and explain the advice they gave you, as you requested.

4) The fact that this data is not aligned with your expectations is not a personal attack.

5) Many of us who have actually hunted in Africa have had different experiences from what we have seen in America or Europe, as exemplified lastly by @flat8 or @WAB (I could also talk to you about my eland who got both shoulder pulverized, both lungs turned to pulp, and the top of its heart exploded by a 250 gr Partition launched from a .340 WBY at 2,940 fps with 4,400 ft/lbs of energy, and who did not understand that he was dead and took off at a gallop !?!?!? ). What we have collectively tried to pass on to you is an experience where we have learned that it is OK to hope for what we think we know, but it is better to be prepared for TIA ("This Is Africa!").

6) Therefore when you say 0 to 200 kg (440 lbs) and 0 to 500 meters (550 yd), the African hunting community thinks: "OK, no problem with 100 kg at 200 meters, and he probably knows that, but 200 kg at 500 m is outside of the comfortable .308 Win envelope. Since he is asking for advice, let us share with him that he will be operating with very little, if any, safety margin." This is why people have focused on the harder part of the envelope you defined. The easier part is just simple: "go and enjoy," and people (me included) told you so repeatedly.

6) The fact that you chose to respond to well intended advice, that you requested, with what is perceived in the US as dismissive and out-of-line comments, and, honestly, sometimes quite shocking statements (re. loosing 3 animals before starting to listen) may reflect a difference of culture or sense of humor (?), but it has not helped you. Additionally, you are talking to a number of folks with solid character here, so you should not be surprised that their reaction to you pushing the envelope of courtesy, is to push back...

So, to try to summarize:

I - the established wisdom for the last century has been that to somewhat compensate for smaller caliber in Africa it is wise to shoot heavier bullets; hence people on this thread (me included) likely think about heavy bullets;

II - heavy bullets cannot be launched very fast from cartridge with relatively small powder capacity; hence they offer an arcing trajectory, low energy (although many of us prefer penetration to energy as a benchmark, but energy still says something), and low impact velocity;

III - anyone with any shooting experience knows that arcing trajectories make hitting at longer range more difficult; hence the advice to shoot closer;

IV - the established wisdom for a long time has been that it takes ~1,000 ft/lbs to kill a deer with a reasonable safety margin, ~1,500 ft/lbs for an elk, and that somehow, for some unexplained reason, African game is significantly 'tougher' than European or American game. Also, the established wisdom is that it takes about 2,000 fps of velocity for most modern tough bullets (as we assume you would use in Africa) to expand properly; hence, when we state that at the top of your envelope (200 kg at 500 m) your chosen caliber will perform below these two minimums (1,800 fps and 1,300 ft/lbs), we are not "inventing useless data" (I think this is the way you characterized my post), we are just telling you what the facts are, and we are pointing out that you not only do not have any safety margin anymore, but you are below the minimums. It may still work because luck is a huge random factor, but it may not.

Yes, some like @KMG Hunting Safaris have been exploring getting faster velocity from the .308 Win by shooting very light for caliber bullets, but a 130 gr .308 bullet has significantly lower sectional density and significantly lower ballistic coefficient, which established wisdom does not recommend for tough game. Modern mono-metal "expanding solids" certainly address some of these drawbacks, and many of us (me included) consider shooting 165 gr such bullets instead of 180 gr traditional bullets out of our .300 mag, but few are those who advocate 130 gr as an ideal bullet weight for a .308. You are certainly free to go that route.

It seems that a gentleman's way to conclude this thread would to thank those who took the time to provide the advice you requested, apologize for some uncalled sarcasms, and make your own choice, whichever it may be.

This post is way too long and I apologize to the community for it, but I find it sad that what should be a relaxing and educating pleasure for all of us (contributing to this thread) may have turned into an exercise in frustration. I suspect that none of us need that.

Last edited:
1) Nobody insulted or provoked you @308W, you asked for opinions, and received them.

Hypocrisy and intellectual honesty are two things that can not live together.
Your incipit is a clear demonstration.

All the previous posts are under the eyes of all those who want to see them, but for the hypocrisy of someone they do not exist.

All the technical explanations you have added later are not enough to hide the hypocritical premises from which you left.

From early age, my education and my culture taught me that not only what is said is important, but also the ways in which it is said.
I can understand that we do not all have the same culture and education.

You are right, but caliber 7x57 is an African legend.
People like legends, everybody knows it.
Religions are a huge dimontration, Albert Einstein wrote "For me, the word God is nothing more than an expression and a product of human weakness, and the Bible is a collection of honorable but primitive legends, which are actually rather childish, no matter how thin, can make me change my mind about this "

Hypocrisy and intellectual honesty are two things that can not live together.
Your incipit is a clear demonstration.

All the previous posts are under the eyes of all those who want to see them, but for the hypocrisy of someone they do not exist.

All the technical explanations you have added later are not enough to hide the hypocritical premises from which you left.

I can understand that we do not all have the same culture and education.

From early age, my education and my culture taught me that not only what is said is important, but also the ways in which it is said.

Read and apply your own last paragraph, then.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
People like legends, everybody knows it.
Religions are a huge dimontration, Albert Einstein wrote "For me, the word God is nothing more than an expression and a product of human weakness, and the Bible is a collection of honorable but primitive legends, which are actually rather childish, no matter how thin, can make me change my mind about this "

"Religions are a huge dimontration, Albert Einstein wrote "For me, the word God is nothing more than an expression and a product of human weakness, and the Bible is a collection of honorable but primitive legends, which are actually rather childish, no matter how thin, can make me change my mind about this "

That explains a lot.

I fully understand what you are writing, maybe you need to go and reread your threads
I will follow your suggestion, it will be an opportunity to collect some "interesting" posts that someone's hypocrisy does not want to see.

"Religions are a huge dimontration, Albert Einstein wrote "For me, the word God is nothing more than an expression and a product of human weakness, and the Bible is a collection of honorable but primitive legends, which are actually rather childish, no matter how thin, can make me change my mind about this "

That explains a lot.

Let me know what that explane on your point of view, I'm curious to know it. :)

I shall now utilize the "Ignore" function for the first time since I joined this forum.
Feel free to do what you like.

Good luck

Last edited:
No comment 308W.
Good, we risk to go OT.

Coming back to 7x57 legend, we can see a lot of hunters around the world continue to use this caliber today, it means a lot after more then 120 years of his birth. I think it's not only legend.

Another reason to go with a .375 is the thought that sometimes you bump into something big that is not happy with you. You can go through an old post I put on after our 2016 hunt in Zim. By buddy, his wife and PH were subject to an unprovoked charge by an elephant cow. The PH tried to stop the charge but his gun did not go off. The elephant put him to the ground and then went for my friend. He dropped her at point blank range. We both decided that we were done trotting around the bush with a light rifle after that one. Obviously this is not an issue on many of the ranch areas in RSA and Namibia, but that not typically where we hunt.
It's funny when I think about this. I bought my .375 when we lived in Alaska for exactly that reason. We ran a boat out of Valdez, hunted deer on the islands and bear along the coast. The bear on one of the islands were particularly grumpy and a .375 seemed like a good idea although you might argue its a bit much for deer!

@WAB - I read that Bliksem report. What an adventure!

@WAB - I read that Bliksem report. What an adventure!
Yep, it was one for the books all right! Somewhat miraculous that no one was killed.

Hypocrisy and intellectual honesty are two things that can not live together. Your incipit is a clear demonstration.
??????????

??????????

You know, I really tried, I just re-read my first post (the "premises from which I left"), and for the life of me I cannot see what is "hypocritical" about it... Oh well...

I shall now utilize the "Ignore" function for the first time since I joined this forum.
+1

Agreed, sorry 308W but you just seem to be looking for an argument at every turn. Frankly I'm too old and ornery to bother.

You know, I really tried, I just re-read my first post (the "premises from which I left"), and for the life of me I cannot see what is "hypocritical" about it... Oh well...

Oh my God, how clever you are! :LOL:
It was clear to everyone that I was responding to your last post.
But since you're "very clever" you try to shift the attention of the reader to your first thread post.

For the umpteenth time you are demonstrating your "intellectual honesty".

Congratulations!

Agreed, sorry 308W but you just seem to be looking for an argument at every turn. Frankly I'm too old and ornery to bother.
Start to read provocations, insults and then my answer too, maybe you will understand.
But if you prefer to be factious, please do it and enjoy it.
I will avoid to answer you anymore.

Bye bye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deandre145

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with