My Bucket List Problem

Sorry I wasn't clear, the Safari is pampered with the wife. The hunting I'm looking for no fence and hard hunting. I grew up hunting elk in the western US. I maybe able to talk my wife into a Safari closer to my hunting area - maybe that would work.

I would think this is a common ask with hunters bring wives that want to Safari first - maybe not.
Is that safari with the wife have to be with Elewana in Kenya?

First let me say thank you for taking the time to offer up such good feedback. I will research all the comments and locations you have suggested. I'm been a member on several other hunting sites for years, and well, sharing detailed information openly seems to be going the way of old school IMHO. Let me address a few questions from the above.

- Whats a hard hunt? I'm still good to "embrace the suck" (some may not get this comment) I just enjoy a bit less of it than when I was 30 years old. I'm plan on using up some boot leather as needed. However if that Sable is 500 yards in the brush from the truck - that works for me also.
- Pay a bit more to improve the Environmental Management of wildlife. I believe we're environmentalist first, and hunting is the personal outcome of doing that. I support paying a bit more if thats the outcome, as in really the outcome.
- Why Sable as my first Africa pick, just case I'm draw to them and taking a very nice quality mature representation is the goal. I prefer quality over quantity of harvest. However, as opportunity calls I'll be ready for most options within the area I'm hunting.
- Own Gun, I have a new (old school deluxe wood) Weatherby 7mm mag I'd love to test out - however factor in a Safari and travel I'm fine to use the PH's rifles. Thats what I did in NZ and it was fun to shoot something different.
- Camp Comfort, some Give and Take here, see notes above on me spending hunting time on a photo Safari. WE will enjoy a safe, clean tent/bed camp or better.
- Spend, still working this out as my hand starts to shake as I type and say, just get the thing booked.
- When to go, I've read that Oct / Nov is best less water, burns, better glassing.

Again thank you all, and nice to be part of AH in starting this planning.

Last edited:
Is that safari with the wife have to be with Elewana in Kenya?
Unless I can convince her of something better (as in the website needs to look better also) - I'm working with her sister and the wonderful stories from just getting back fresh off her lips. Open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Unless I can convince her of something better (as in the website needs to look better also) - I'm working with her sister and the wonderful stories from just getting back fresh off her lips. Open to suggestions.
(1) I have no idea if you can store a firearm in Kenya if you take your own. You may have to fly to where you are hunting, store it there and then fly to Kenya for that trip and then back to wherever you are hunting. (2) I've looked at their website, those are not "cheap" camps or hotels. So if your going to spend that kind of money, I would suggest Tanzania. You can get a 10 day license, you will be limited on what game you can harvest. However, Qatar flies into Kilimanjaro, you could store your gun in Ashura and fly get a flight to Nairobi from either Kilimanjaro or Ashura and return. In the north of Tanzania you can transfer by vehicle, a lot cheaper then a charter.

I’d do Vic Falls, Zim. You can do a pampered 5-Star stay at the Old Victoria Hotel and all the tourist things, do Hwange national park and the Falls, then slip off into the bush for a week to do a wild hunt for Buffalo at a place like Save or the Bubye.

(1) I have no idea if you can store a firearm in Kenya if you take your own. You may have to fly to where you are hunting, store it there and then fly to Kenya for that trip and then back to wherever you are hunting. (2) I've looked at their website, those are not "cheap" camps or hotels. So if your going to spend that kind of money, I would suggest Tanzania. You can get a 10 day license, you will be limited on what game you can harvest. However, Qatar flies into Kilimanjaro, you could store your gun in Ashura and fly get a flight to Nairobi from either Kilimanjaro or Ashura and return. In the north of Tanzania you can transfer by vehicle, a lot cheaper then a charter.
Sound advise and given this, I plan on just using the PH guns I believe most offer this as an rental option. That solves this problem.

I’d do Vic Falls, Zim. You can do a pampered 5-Star stay at the Old Victoria Hotel and all the tourist things, do Hwange national park and the Falls, then slip off into the bush for a week to do a wild hunt for Buffalo at a place like Save or the Bubye.
I'll offer this up as an option any suggestions on a PH in Save or Bubye? Maybe thats stated above someplace. Thank you.

I'll offer this up as an option any suggestions on a PH in Save or Bubye? Maybe thats stated above someplace. Thank you.

Any of the high-quality PHs in Zim can gain access to Save or Bubye. Vaughan Whitehead-Wilson and John Sharp come to mind. Lin Stanton too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MilfordHir

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available