My Bucket List Problem

dgtlclose

Reaction score
We just did New Zealand, see my intro. Now Africa is next on my Bucket List for 2025 and I have a Big Problem. Yup, my wife's sister just returned from Safari with Elewana in Kenya and well she's convinced that our hunting trip needs to first include a repeat of the sisters trip.

So, as I still work for a living and vacation time leaves me around 10 days in say Tanzania, Zambia or Mozambique without spending more flight time. Thus, from the research I've done so far I've leaning towards north Mozambique maybe because I think its going to be a better value, but I'm just guessing on that.

I like the feel of Mozambique type of country, wild and remote. New Zealand will be the last time I hunt a fenced type of landscape - that was a bit more shopping than hunting and not so much for me.

Game - top of my list is a Monster Sable, other Plans (Buffalo, if I see one I really like, and of course I will like one).

Any Problem Solvers, willing to offer up suggestions on how to do a pampered Safari and Quality Hunt in less than 20 days?

Steve

Last edited:
Zambia and Mozambique will offer you the best option for a shorter safari and chance at Sable accounting for cost. Tanzania will be the costliest and if you want some of the unique endemic species you’ll need a 21 Day Premium License.

@spike.t can likely hook you up on a sable in Zambia at his Takeri Reserve.

Last edited:
Another good option might be Namibia. @Velo Dog took a monster sable with @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS in Namibia recently.
You can connect flights from Windhoek to Nairobi through Joberg which should make that reasonably easy….

Last edited:
We just did New Zealand, see my intro. Now Africa is next on my Bucket List for 2025 and I have a Big Problem. Yup, my wife's sister just returned from Safari with Elewana in Kenya and well she's convinced that our hunting trip needs to first include a repeat of the sisters trip.

So, as I still work for a living and vacation time leaves me around 10 days in say Tanzania, Zambia or Mozambique without spending more flight time. Thus, from the research I've done so far I've leaning towards north Mozambique maybe because I think its going to be a better value, but I'm just guessing on that.

I like the feel of Mozambique type of country, wild and remote. New Zealand will be the last time I hunt a fenced type of landscape - that was a bit more shopping than hunting and not so much for me.

Game - top of my list is a Monster Sable, other Plans (Buffalo, if I see one I really like, and of course I will like one).

Any Problem Solvers, willing to offer up suggestions on how to do a pampered Safari and Quality Hunt in less than 20 days?

Steve
I would urge you to contact @spike.t as well. You would have a an excellent opportunity at a truly superb Zambian sable. Mine from a couple of years ago with him.

sable1.jpg

Pampered hunting, not fenced? Not likely. Pampered hunting is in RSA behind a fence. Unfortunately, if you are wanting the Kenya photo and then a hunting, be prepared for flights and drives. All of which take away from days hunting.

As other others have said. Takeri has lots of Sable and big ones. However, no Buffalo. Takeri is fenced on one side. Kenya Airways flies direct from Nairobi to Lusaka.

While Mozambique, also has lots of Sable and buffalo, that’s going to be more expensive and more time. Scheduled flight plus charter (no way would I go by vehicle in Mozambique anywhere).

Sounds like you have a great idea
Just a suggestion, if giant sable is your first choice, Zambia or Tanzania are the obvious choices
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions
Ernest. Info@spearsafaris.com

Pampered hunting, not fenced? Not likely. Pampered hunting is in RSA behind a fence. Unfortunately, if you are wanting the Kenya photo and then a hunting, be prepared for flights and drives. All of which take away from days hunting.

As other others have said. Takeri has lots of Sable and big ones. However, no Buffalo. Takeri is fenced on one side. Kenya Airways flies direct from Nairobi to Lusaka.

While Mozambique, also has lots of Sable and buffalo, that’s going to be more expensive and more time. Scheduled flight plus charter (no way would I go by vehicle in Mozambique anywhere).
Sorry I wasn't clear, the Safari is pampered with the wife. The hunting I'm looking for no fence and hard hunting. I grew up hunting elk in the western US. I maybe able to talk my wife into a Safari closer to my hunting area - maybe that would work.

I would think this is a common ask with hunters bring wives that want to Safari first - maybe not.

I’d look into hunting with Jamy Traut Safaris or Kou Kuas in bwabwata park in the Caprivi. They get some beautiful sable from the area and have very good buffalo. Namibia gives you a lot of options to transfer to ranch land later in the hunt for species like kudu, gemsbok, springbok, etc and see a new region. The park option should give your wife the numbers of game and photos she’s looking for.
Another option I’d look into is charlton McCallum safaris in Zimbabwe. Dande has good sable although not monsters by matetsi or Zambian standards. I just finished my second hunt with them and saw multiple herds. It’s tough hunting because hills and brush but area is absolutely beautiful. Lots of buffalo but a pure tracking hunt and likely for sable as well. If you finish early you can catch tiger fish on the Zambezi. You won’t see huge numbers of plains game here though. I’ve been very successful both trips, but it’s not a photographic area for a reason. The game is there but visibility generally isn’t.
You could also look into the matetsi units in Zimbabwe. My dad just finished an excellent hunt with classic African safaris in matetsi 2. He took a beautiful old 42.5 sable and nice buffalo among others. Saw lions and elephant daily.

Last edited:
I’d also advise you to look for outfitters that directly manage and hunt areas full time not just buying occasional quota there. There are a few exceptions, but I’d generally avoid booking with an outfitter who isn’t a full time PH in the country you are looking to hunt. Also wild Africa is under an incredible amount of encroachment and poaching pressure. I’d seek out properly managed areas and outfitters that put back into the areas. The better areas typically cost considerably more partly because of this. Talk with a lot of references to see if they had consistent experiences.

Based on what you are describing, I would highly suggest looking into the Nyasa Game Reserve in northern Mozambique. Its basically the Selous region of Tanzania, only across the border in Mozambique. The day rates are significantly less than Tanzania, its beautiful, very remote, excellent hunting, wild Africa, an adventure to get too, and your wife would love it. Tented safari camps.

The Roosevelt Sable is an endemic species, though smaller in size than what you would get in Zambia.

I would suggest Grant Taylor at Mashambanzou Safaris. Grant has a great reputation, and did a very good job for me on a recent hunt in Mozambique.

But there is no shortage of options.

If you want a hard rewarding hunt you're looking at the wrong species in my opinion. Go after kudu. They are essentially free roaming even in fenced acreage. Very crafty, difficult to hunt, habitat is rough. I found sable about on par with mule deer for difficulty. Not terribly challenging.

This is kudu country I hunt in Eastern Cape, South Africa.
20220828_110857.jpg
20220828_072313.jpg

Kruger Park and tours are a few hours drive away.

I really like the suggestion to check out Spike’s operation. He had an offer in the “deals” section that was awesome not too long ago and there are several recent hunt reports that would make fun research.
Would definitely check into moz as there is good assortment of opportunities that will check all your boxes as well as buffalo.

Did you want.to take your own guns?

I love the east cape and going back in 2025 with my wife But-fences are a reality there and while they cater to hunters and their spouses at a high level, I would keep looking for awhile if I was in your shoes. Big properties and endless game variety though.

Kudu should always be on your “list!”

There are photography parks everywhere and attractions like Vic falls deserve consideration. Good luck with your research and planning-

My daughter and I hunted with @spike.t and took very nice sable, lechwe and puku. @roverandbrew hunted a week or so before us and he took a monster sable. @wesheltonj hunted a few weeks after us and he too had a great hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_1684.png
    IMG_1684.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1686.png
    IMG_1686.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1657.png
    IMG_1657.png
    7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    7.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
I just returned a few weeks ago from hunting the Niassa Reserve with @KWALATA SAFARIS and specifically with Jaco Strauss. If you do a search on threads that I am the author of, you'll see my report.

I'm not sure how you define a hard hunt. If it's comparable to an elk hunt in the west where you traverse many miles much of which is going up followed by much of which is going down, you'll be somewhat hard pressed to find that in the Niassa. There are hills there, but I saw no mountains. The hardest part of hunting there are the plethora of elephant potholes. Those damned things will tear your ankles up. You know they are there, but you can't see them as they're typically covered in grass and leaves.

If you also define hard as having to work a lot to just see game, the Niassa is not for you. You will see LOTS of game both from the truck and on foot. There is a pretty tight quota there and thus the animals do not see a ton of pressure. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if much of the game there has never seen a human and if they have it's from a truck that doesn't bother them.

Now get off the truck and approach them on foot and they'll go into avoidance mode. They won't just stand there and let you shoot them if they perceive you as a threat.

One thing I can tell you for sure is if you want a wild area where you'll see very few people, the Niassa is definitely that. I can also tell you that the camp that Jaco runs is quite friendly to the ladies. Large heavy duty tents on concrete slabs. En suite bathrooms, comfortable beds and great meals. And the camp is set on the banks of the Lugenda river. It does not get more picturesque. If you're in camp during the day for lunch, you'll see wildlife passing thru the south end of the camp on their way to water as well as crocs on the banks.

Also as noted above the sable there are Roosevelt and typically a little smaller than what you'll find in other places.

There are some large free range areas in South Africa which might make your travel in and out a little quicker and you could hop up to Kenya or Kruger NP easily.

These areas won’t be as “wild “as some other areas, but is far from the typical fenced areas RSA is generally known for. You might get a little more pampered feel of things for your wife and have some additional activities for her to do if she doesn’t want to join you hunting every day. Someone to look at is Crusader Safaris. Andrew the owner also does some stuff in Mozambique.

The suggestions about Spike in Zambia are spot on. I’ll be hunting Zambia next summer myself. If I wasn’t already booked, his deal would’ve been extremely tempting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TemekaCarr

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available