My 35 Whelen Loads Pressure Test Results

Screenshot_20220301-070817_Chrome.png

I had my Ruger No.1-S with 24 inch bbl out today. Shooting 225 gr Sierra's with CFE223 from 63-67 grs. Grouping was not great, but two loads did best: 65 and 67 grs at around one MOA. While the loads will definitely get anyone's attention, I did not see any obvious signs of over pressure.

I just got it back from Ruger for service because on two occasions I had misfires, light strikes.

Got back a note underlining in bold RED that GREASE needs to be kept to minimum in the action, LOL
I suspected that may have been the issue but I didnt want to start digging around in the innards of the receiver, buggering screws etc. Besides I bought it used so probably good to let them have a look.

They sent back a test target too, which I have never known them to do, I didnt complain of its accuracy.
Test target showed 3 shots of Rem 250 Spitzer at 50 yards in the same hole! I have used that same load at the range and it is a good one.
@sestoppelman
Ses don't keep us in suspenders mate, what is the load and velocity.

I just noticed a typo error on the pressure chart, the 250 grain Hornady was loaded with CFE223 not Power Pro Varmint
@jwp475
Ifn that was the 250gr roundnose, I noticed I had to increase the charge to get 2,680fps. This was because of the much smaller bearing surface. Still easy bolt lift and rounded primers.

Your pressure chart appears to be well done, and reflects reasonable
velocities against barrel length and bullet weights.
I tend to think that pressures vary as to chamber and barrel specs,
along with loading variables.

Every rifle is individual as to pressures and performance.

My 35 Whelen is a custom pre-64 Model 70 that utilizes the original barrel
that was cut-rifled, re-bored , along with re-chambering. Its accuracy reflects the quality of work that was done by the riflesmith. It has a Super Grade-styled stock. Best work is reflected with 225 gr Nosler partition bullets.
But it was designed as a big game rifle that could be safely used in bear country.

Many felt that my loads were over pressure, so I had them pressure tested. Here are the results.

View attachment 454927

@jwp475

You're getting about the same velocity as my .338WM and I feel supremely confident carrying my .338 - so you should too!
It never ceases to amaze me just how efficient the '06 case really is.
I reckon you're all set for almost anything (y)

Russ

@jwp475

You're getting about the same velocity as my .338WM and I feel supremely confident carrying my .338 - so you should too!
It never ceases to amaze me just how efficient the '06 case really is.
I reckon you're all set for almost anything (y)

Russ
@Badboymelvin
Russ
I will have to bring my Whelen down for you to try on sambar we it 250gr Hornady round nose a 2,700fps.
That puts some serious hurt on things
Bob

@Badboymelvin
Russ
I will have to bring my Whelen down for you to try on sambar we it 250gr Hornady round nose a 2,700fps.
That puts some serious hurt on things
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen ,

I have absolutely no doubt it will mate. I have personally used the 225gn Woodleigh PP in my .338 at a mild 2750fps on Sambar and that was effective (y)

Russ

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen ,

I have absolutely no doubt it will mate. I have personally used the 225gn Woodleigh PP in my .338 at a mild 2750fps on Sambar and that was effective (y)

Russ
@Badboymelvin
Russ or I could bring my 25 for fallow or red and we could discuss the merits of a fast 25 over the 243 and 6.5 manbun over a few rums.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearline33

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia