Muzzle Control on Safari

That guy is so full of himself ... and bullshit. Carry a rifle like that and you can VERY easily be in trouble trying to shoot fast. Ask anyone who's hunted uplands. The butt will get caught in clothing as it's mounted quickly. Been there done that. Get the gun at "ready" position out in front of the body. The military preached this for good reason (before changing to pistol grip AR style stocks).

I could only make it 3/4 through that video. Mark Sullivan is the definition of "obnoxious." Ugh!!! How does that guy get his head through the door?
I’m curious if you could describe the “ready” position in front of the body more thoroughly so I can understand what you are suggesting?

I’m curious if you could describe the “ready” position in front of the body more thoroughly so I can understand what you are suggesting?
Well, back in my military days "ready" and "port arms" were essentially the same. Since then ready has changed as military gun design has changed. Here's a traditional port arms illustration:

Watch any video of an upland hunter over dogs. They don't carry the shotgun underneath the armpit. They need to be ready to shoot quickly, especially when hunting over flushing dogs.

That guy is so full of himself ... and bullshit. Carry a rifle like that and you can VERY easily be in trouble trying to shoot fast. Ask anyone who's hunted uplands. The butt will get caught in clothing as it's mounted quickly. Been there done that. Get the gun at "ready" position out in front of the body. The military preached this for good reason (before changing to pistol grip AR style stocks).

I could only make it 3/4 through that video. Mark Sullivan is the definition of "obnoxious." Ugh!!! How does that guy get his head through the door?
Ontario, your just jealous that he has a better mustache :LOL:

I don't have a problem slinging my rifle when hunting. When starting final stalk for buffalo I'll remove the sling and give it to tracker. For plains game my gun always has sling attached. At the range I detach sling and remove fore end sling stud.

Despite the criticism that Mark Sullivan has received, this video suggests a good set of guidelines in my opinion (for carrying doubles at least):

Did anyone else notice how much time he spent pointing his rifle at the camera, therefore cameraman?

The above link on Africa carry isn't working for me.

I think it's pretty clear, however. Never point the muzzle at anyone, chamber loaded or not. (Exceptions are when a long gun is cased, or, while cleaning or maintaining a gun you sometimes flag yourself with muzzle but that's only after verifying empty / action open or bolt removed.)

I don't see "Africa carry" as being much worse than the style shown at the front of the line in this photo. Maybe a bit worse because Africa carry is higher up and if someone is in front, you're more likely to be flagging their body instead of "just" the leg. Anyway, either method is only safe if you're alone or first in line.

But it seems that African gun safety rules rely more heavily on whether a round is chambered. Presumably this works well enough because PHs don't want anyone to be shot. But I'd prefer if people tried to never point the muzzle at anyone, and to not rest their hand on the muzzle.

safe_carry_single_file.jpg

The above link on Africa carry isn't working for me.

I think it's pretty clear, however. Never point the muzzle at anyone, chamber loaded or not. (Exceptions are when a long gun is cased, or, while cleaning or maintaining a gun you sometimes flag yourself with muzzle but that's only after verifying empty / action open or bolt removed.)

I don't see "Africa carry" as being much worse than the style shown at the front of the line in this photo. Maybe a bit worse because Africa carry is higher up and if someone is in front, you're more likely to be flagging their body instead of "just" the leg. Anyway, either method is only safe if you're alone or first in line.

But it seems that African gun safety rules rely more heavily on whether a round is chambered. Presumably this works well enough because PHs don't want anyone to be shot. But I'd prefer if people tried to never point the muzzle at anyone, and to not rest their hand on the muzzle.

View attachment 622248
The "Africa carry" seems to work well for whoever is in the front of the line. Generally this is the PH. I've never Deen a PH point a muzzle at me. Occasionally, when I am the last person in the line or when hunting alone, I will hold the rifle by the grip and put the fore end of the stock on top of my shoulder. You might call it the "reverse Africa carry." The muzzle never sweeps anyone and it is very fast to bring into action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.