Muzzle Control on Safari

hoytcanon

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I am curious how many others are uncomfortable with the abysmal muzzle control demonstrated by many (perhaps most) hunters and even PH's when hunting in groups on Safari?

There are often three to five or more individuals stalking on the hunt and it seems that more often than not, someone has a rifle with chambered round pointing at another party member's back.

Me no likey.

A couple of things, first you can't go by camera angles. Watch when they get ready to take a shot and then wait 10 minutes while you can see a perfect shot on the animal. Well, the hunter doesn't see the same thing as the camera does.

Second, most of the time those rifles won't have a round chambered until they are ready to shoot the animal.

But I do agree with you, even a unloaded rifle should be treated with respect and the muzzle should never be pointed in the direction of another person.

Gun safety is the #1 job for everyone. The way I carry is entirely dependent on the location of everyone around me. I’ve had to quickly adjust when a tracker or PH changed direction or walked in front of my barrel. Also, just me but I’ve never used a sling in Africa or asked anyone to carry it for me. That includes a lot of long miles. I just like having the gun in my hand and most of my guns are heavy big bores.

I am curious how many others are uncomfortable with the abysmal muzzle control demonstrated by many (perhaps most) hunters and even PH's when hunting in groups on Safari?
I am allergic to unsafe muzzle discipline .
If that happens in my hunting party, I am sure I am heard.

I never carry African style. My muzzle is facing upwards, downwards or sideways, slightly down. always in safe direction. Round chambered, but safety on.

There are often three to five or more individuals stalking on the hunt and it seems that more often than not, someone has a rifle with chambered round pointing at another party member's back.

Me no likey.
I don’t know where you hunt, but I have never hunted in groups in Africa. Heck, only in one hunt I even shared a camp with another hunter. Just the PH, myself and the ranger are armed. I also always make sure that the ranger’s AK 47 does not have a round in the chamber.

I don’t know where you hunt, but I have never hunted in groups in Africa. Heck, only in one hunt I even shared a camp with another hunter. Just the PH, myself and the ranger are armed. I also always make sure that the ranger’s AK 47 does not have a round in the chamber.
That sounds like a group of three... which is what I said.

I am allergic to unsafe muzzle discipline .
If that happens in my hunting party, I am sure I am heard.

I never carry African style. My muzzle is facing upwards, downwards or sideways, slightly down. always in safe direction. Round chambered, but safety on.

This is probably a loaded question that may open me up to pages of ridicule, :) but I gotta ask. What is African style?

An AK has a very robust safety lever on it. But I still did not enjoy looking back at the muzzle of it. When I looked behind me.

While on break.
IMG_5188.jpeg
I pretended to be interested in the game scouts AK and asked to check it out. What I really wanted, was to check if it had one in the chamber and how tight the safety lever was. Luckily the lever was like most of them. Very stiff to move to fire.

I should add an AK safety lever is also very loud when moved to fire. So I listened for that sound while he was behind me.

Last edited:
Now imagine there’s over 100 of you, half being 18yo, a quarter being hung over, and everything being select fire.

Keeping an eye on 2-3 muzzles gets to be quite manageable on a hunt.

There was a very very long thread on this already

Reactions: WAB
I did not see another thread, but it is worth discussing again. It is always good to do a refresher on safe handling.

Questions about the African Carry and Others

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albertha68

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.