Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hello Members,

Not quite a hunting report this time, but just some pictures of the Hunting Museum in Paris, that my wife and I visited a few weeks ago.
To the moderators: I post this in the hunting reports, for lack of a better place? If you feel like it should be elsewhere, do not hesitate to move it of course.

We visited the "Musée de la Chasse" on the 29th of June. It was a little surprise activity from my wife, during a weekend getaway to Paris (without kids!) visiting her sister.

Something I did not know, is that when you can show proof that you are a hunter, basically a hunting license in some form, then you will get a discount on the entry price! I cannot think of one other place in the world where being a hunter gives you a preferential treatment :)

The museum is very clean and well-maintained, but most importantly, it has been designed/decorated with a lot of taste! My wife was asking me if we could one day have a house (castle) looking like this! :unsure: :E Shocked:
There was also plenty of personnel inside that are all very eager and enthusiastic to give information and show you around. (although the accuracy, and depth of knowledge was sometimes a bit lacking)

Without much more text, here are some highlights. This is definitely a place to visit and spend 1 to 2 hrs, if you happen to be in Paris. The only thing I found a bit lacking, is in the hunting weapons section, it was mainly focused on medieval firearms up to percussion firearms. A part from on or two exceptions, nothing more recent, like beginning 20th century, for example.
1720785526921.jpeg

1720785565585.jpeg

1720785586362.jpeg

1720785655395.jpeg

1720785684650.jpeg

1720785724553.jpeg

1720785776801.jpeg

1720785800235.jpeg

1720785839714.jpeg

1720785882006.jpeg

1720785934385.jpeg

1720785979969.jpeg

1720786118310.jpeg

1720786174802.jpeg

Cheers!

Vertigo

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing. We will add this to our next stopover in Paris!

Good to know this is in Paris! Good luck procuring your wife’s dream castle :ROFLMAO:

That’s like a classy version of the former International Wildlife Museum in Tucson, AZ. It was the former SCI headquarters. It was modeled after a Legionnaire’s fort IIRC. (SCI members probably know more that I do) Disappointing that they closed it because it was an interesting place to take the family.

Thank you for sharing such an interesting find.
Love the dog art and have a look at that Warthog trophy.
Keep taking your wife to places like that and you might just trick her into liking it.

Reactions: WAB
Here are a few more pictures:
1720789365409.jpeg

1720789425331.jpeg

1720789482038.jpeg

IMG_9656_anonyme.jpg

1720789831902.jpeg

1720789860380.jpeg

1720789918074.jpeg

Really cool pics. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely add this to our museums to see in October

Very nice! Will have to visit it next trip to Paris. Thank you for sharing.

Just looked at a few pictures again and saw many things I missed on the first go around.

Amazing collection from around the world.

I went many years ago, thanks for posting the pictures. Did you see the Kouprey skull plate and horns?

Neat to see the addax. I bet it’s not from some transplanted population.

Cool to see tigers as well

In the hall with all the taxidermy, there were some documents lying around with a listing of all the mounts, Latin name and who donated them. I believe also the date, although not sure. Quite a few royalty in there that donated. I should have taken a picture, but didn’t think you would find this interesting

In the hall with all the taxidermy, there were some documents lying around with a listing of all the mounts, Latin name and who donated them. I believe also the date, although not sure. Quite a few royalty in there that donated. I should have taken a picture, but didn’t think you would find this interesting
I find that type of information incredibly interesting! No problem! Will hopefully visit and see it for myself one day

Wow! Some beautiful pics. Love the artwork!
Can you further detail pic #2?? Is that a lamp? What are those tips??

Wow! Some beautiful pics. Love the artwork!
Can you further detail pic #2?? Is that a lamp? What are those tips??

Picture nb 2 is a rhino horn mount, with plastic protection pieces for the tips I assume. The whole on a pedestal inside a glass display case.

My wife was asking me if we could one day have a house (castle) looking like this! :unsure: :E Shocked:
Well too be fair, she deserves a castle. To be honest you both deserve it after experiencing the hospitality you gave when we visited your "taxidermy museum" ;)

Magnifique!!

I used to live in France and we get to Paris every few years. This will absolutely be on my list next trip. Thanks for sharing.

Thats really cool. Some (many) animals in that museum will never be hunted again. It’s amazing to think the wildlife that once existed in the French colonies in SE Asia and North Africa.

When I saw these display's, I immediately thought, it would be lovely if I could recreate one like this, but centered around the load-out for a typical late 1800 safari or shikar...
Something like a bore hammer rifle + cape gun + some assegai + ?

What would AH think to put together?
Hammer double, assagai, perhaps a zulu-style cowhide shield. And a pith helmet....don't forget a pith helmet! I'm sure that Mr. Peacock could hook you up with one. :cool:

Don't know when next I will be in Paris, but that museum just got added to the list of things to see and do. Thanks so much for posting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimKayaw

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available