MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique With Russell Lovemore

Waidmannsheil to an amazing adventure and some excellent specimen taken ! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Russ' place begins just below the confluence of the Luangwa and Zambezi, just below Zumbo. Not terribly far south of Lower Zam Nat as Africa goes I suppose? Here is the Bushbuck I took for those that asked btw. My bride took this pic, Russ hasn't sent me all of his yet but the back of his head appears in many of my wife's pics.......it was her first big hunt and first hunting pics. She took alot of video with her phone while running from elephants that is interesting also. She is very small and spent some quality time trying to get out of elephant foot prints on the islands.

bushbuck.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great bushbuck. My favorite African antelope that I’ve been able to hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Russ' place begins just below the confluence of the Luangwa and Zambezi, just below Zumbo. Not terribly far south of Lower Zam Nat as Africa goes I suppose? Here is the Bushbuck I took for those that asked btw. My bride took this pic, Russ hasn't sent me all of his yet but the back of his head appears in many of my wife's pics.......it was her first big hunt and first hunting pics. She took alot of video with her phone while running from elephants that is interesting also. She is very small and spent some quality time trying to get out of elephant foot prints on the islands.
Beautiful bushbuck both horns and coloration

Great hunt!

Did you run into any breeding herds of buffalo or just dagga boys?

Great hunt!

Did you run into any breeding herds of buffalo or just dagga boys?
No only daggaboys in the bush or islands. There was sign further east along the river at the beginning of our 10 days. We were several miles down river in the truck between a couple villages and the river looking for hippo in some shallow back water. The trackers found significant sign (even I could see those tracks) and there had been numbers in that group so I assume it was a herd but we never returned there since some of the people we spoke with (women bringing cane) said the Buffalo came at night.

No only daggaboys in the bush or islands. There was sign further east along the river at the beginning of our 10 days. We were several miles down river in the truck between a couple villages and the river looking for hippo in some shallow back water. The trackers found significant sign (even I could see those tracks) and there had been numbers in that group so I assume it was a herd but we never returned there since some of the people we spoke with (women bringing cane) said the Buffalo came at night.
I think the big breeding herds are on the south side of the lake.

Yes the concession south of the river gets far more buffalo permits Russ says. I know he has worked diligently to build the numbers in his concession and being integral to CAPU is a big part. He estimates 400-500 head on his side presently vs about 2x-3x that many on the south. Different hunting as that concession I believe has much less elevation changes?

Very nice writeup. Looks like you made the right call of listening to your gut and changing the outfitter. There is just something special about hunting DG. Congratulations on a nice safari.

Yes the concession south of the river gets far more buffalo permits Russ says. I know he has worked diligently to build the numbers in his concession and being integral to CAPU is a big part. He estimates 400-500 head on his side presently vs about 2x-3x that many on the south. Different hunting as that concession I believe has much less elevation changes?
Simon told me he has about 2500 on the south side. Some herds of 300-400.

Well........I've been to Africa once on the North side so I'm sure you're correct.

Very Nice ! Worked out in the end!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RickeyCarr

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe