MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique With KWALATA SAFARIS

Chukardogs

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So this all started, like most of us I imagine, with a dream about hunting in Africa. Almost 20 years ago I was able to bowhunt South Africa and that fed the dream. Life, finances, and all that non-sense got in the way of pursuing the dream. However, a year and a half ago I started to get serious about pursuing this Africa thing. I wanted to hunt a cape buffalo in a wild place. I did my research and settled on the Niassa Reserve in Mozambique. I sent an email to Jaco asking a few questions and said I would try and make it to Dallas. So I booked a last minute flight to Dallas to go and talk to the guys from @KWALATA SAFARIS. I walked past their booth a couple times in order to convince myself that I am going to do this. As I entered the booth AJ approached me and we started a conversation. About three minutes in I was ready to hand over the envelope. AJ asked if I was thinking about 2024 or 2025. I said, "What do you have for 2023?" Shortly thereafter papers were signed and my wife and I were on the books for October 2-12th.

My wife, Katherien, is a non hunter, but she is always game for an adventure. I knew it was going to be hot and full of insects that like to leave marks. So I was a little concerned if she would have a good time. She had the time of her life! AJ and everyone at camp took the time and effort to ensure that she would have an unforgettable experience. They could not have done any better.

I had Marcus Hall from AVA Travel arrange flights and lodging. He did a great job and we had no issues with the travel. We flew from Reno, NV to Atlanta and then Delta to Johannesburg. I used Rifle Permits to assist with my rifle. It was well worth the money. Overnight at City Lodge and then Airlink to Pemba. Cameron, the charter pilot was on our flight to Pemba along with Mark, a fellow AH member, who would be hunting the same time as us.

We arrived at Litulli camp and checked the rifles. I shanked the first shot but made up for it with my second. Then it was time to get ready for the following day.
IMG_7472.JPG
IMG_7483.JPG

DAY 1
The first day we started out looking for buffalo tracks. The crew consisted of AJ (PH), Timodjo (Tracker), Sofu (Water Carrier), Katherien, and myself. We picked up the tracks of two bulls and followed for roughly two miles. Watching Timodjo work was unreal. He read the ground like I read a book and it was fascinating. The bulls laid down two different times and just kept feeding. We quit that track when it became apparent that they were not going to stop anytime soon. Right before dark we saw a bull eland and tried to make a move but darkness foiled that one. Dinner was three courses and was excellent. Every meal was fantastic. A night cap and it was off to bed for an early wake up.

DAY 2
4 a.m. wake up this morning and after coffee and a light breakfast we were out of camp by 4:30. About 15 minutes into the drive we started seeing bushpigs. I wanted a bushpig. If you want a bushpig in the daylight and not over bait then this is the place. We saw well over a 100 during the entire trip. We stopped and put in a stalk that did not pan out. Another 5 minutes down the road and more bushpigs. Timodjo led the way for a few minutes until it was time to close the last bit of ground. After a few minutes of looking them over AJ set up the sticks at roughly 40 yards from the pigs. He indicated a particular old boar and asked, "Do you see him?" I did, one shot and 30 yards past where he was initially feeding I had my hands on my first animal in Mozambique. A fine old boar. Man, was I thrilled! After pictures, we carried him to the side of the road and covered him with green branches. AJ arranged for some camp staff to come pick him up so we could continue our day.
IMG_0411.JPG

Right around lunch time we cut the tracks of three bulls. AJ asked Timodjo and Sofu to go take a look at them and see what was going on with them. AJ set up for lunch and we had a couple of hammocks for a snooze. About twenty minutes after the guys left here they come carrying three shovels. They had interrupted three illegal gold miners digging in the river. The culprits ran away sans shovels. So off they went again to check out the tracks. After awhile they came back and reported they had seen the three bulls who were feeding and all were the kind of bulls we were looking for. Thirty minutes into the track Timodjo freezes like one of my pointers back home. AJ pulls up his binos. Then I see the bulls-my first truly wild African cape buffalo! The wind is not good. I do not have to speak-no one speaks. Head nods, puff bottle puffs, eye and finger movements. A curving hand gesture and we are going to circle and get the wind in our favor. The movement of our group is done. The bulls were originally to our right front in the brush and bamboo. After moving they should be somewhere to our front or front left. After creeping along for ten minutes we see part of a bull at 60 yards, directly ahead through the bamboo. He walks off and is replaced by another bull. I have my knees on the ground and am sitting on my feet. The sticks are stood up low to the ground maybe three feet high in a bi-pod orientation. AJ is on my right holding one side of the sticks, the other is slipping so Timodjo anchors it. The rifle goes up. I cannot really see the bulls head through the bamboo. I can see his chest and legs. AJ explains the slight quarter and instructs me to put it just inside of his left leg-but not too much. "If you are comfortable to take the shot then go ahead, if not it is okay." says AJ. I look him in the eye and say, "Just give me a minute to get my s@%* togther." The bull knows something is up. AJ proceeds to bawl at him to keep his attention, after two or three bawls I am ready. I see the shot, I see where he wants the bullet-okay here goes. I'm thinking, 'Is it perfect, ideal, not really but it is also not horrible. He is close, the rest is good and if the bullet goes where the crosshairs are settled then this will work.' Okay squeeze-BOOM. I am bounced out of the scope and I think, 'Did it feel good? I honestly don't know, I know it did not feel crappy.' AJ took all of the noise and blast a 70 year old Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H can give and did not see the reaction. Timodjo gestures that the bulls left leg hunched up. I understand the what this means. I am thinking, "Please don't let that bullet have gone through the armpit and down the outside of the body." The bull went to our left through the bamboo. The bamboo is in patches so not horribly thick. AJ and Timodjo are on his tracks with me right there. AJ tells Katherien, "Okay, you must stay right together with us." He then asks, "John is your scope turned down?" "Yup", I reply having already turned the Leupold down to 1.5 and replaced the missing round. We start picking our way forward. We moved 50-60 yards. The whole time I am thinking 'Please do not let me have screwed this up'. All of a sudden Timodjo sees something. He points and turns with a giant smile on his face. I peek around Timodjo and see a leg kicking out sideways. He is down on his side. Holy S!%$, I just killed my first cape buffalo. We ease up so I can put in a finishing round, which I do. I ask, "Should I put in one more?" "Sure, same spot", says AJ. With that he is finished. Hugging, cheers, hand shakes and pure raw emotion are going around. A tear or two might have leaked out of my sweat filled eye. It was unreal. I cannot remember when the thought of hunting buffalo began, but it has been burning for a long time. A road was "choppy-choppied" to the bull and he was loaded into the back of the cruiser. Man, what a day!
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG

I will continue with the rest in the following days.

IMG_0414.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing. That is a dream bull in wild Africa. You did it

A great story! Congratulations. I hunted with AJ in South Africa this June. He’s a great guy.

Great story & old warrior! Looking forward to hearing more. Good to see AJ working Niassa. Headed there with Jaco in ‘24, & the time is passing VERY slow.

great start on your report and shooting! looking forward to the rest of your report. cheers

Congrats on an awesome old bull. Appreciate you taking us along for the ride. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your safari.

Congrats!! Like how you said your “first” Buffalo! Cheers to more Buffalo to come! Nothing beats hunting Black Death!

Wonderful old bull! So glad to Read a hunting report, thanks for posting your story and pictures

Last edited:
Congratulations on a great old bull. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your hunt.

That's a great story to tell! A fun read so far.

Oh I'm looking forward to the rest of this report @Chukardogs! I will be hunting with Jaco next year in July in the same area. Congrats on a proper old bull!

What a great start! Congratulations

1697688997065.png

Congrats on a nice bull!

Proper bull. Nicely done. Thats a lot of daylight bushpigs too! Must have a huge amount of the around.
Bruce

The following 3 days
The night of the buffalo hunt we stayed up past the generator, so the cell phone lights came out. You need to see when pouring the potato juice. Needless to say the following morning we did not leave camp till about 7. An eland bull was on the menu. AJ wanted to go and check out some pans in a forest type area. We walked the elephant paths into the water. Two of the three pans were dry. However, the third was holding water. It was a fountain of life! This was a place that we visited several times just to sit and watch nature tv. Katherien loved this place as we all did. Where else can you see ten bushbucks come to water? This place had all of the wildlife. Elephants, warthogs, sable, impala, kudu, baboons, suni, red duiker, zebra, and Niassa wildebeest were all seen here.
IMG_3820.JPG

One evening we cut some eland tracks and started to follow. We caught up to them at last light and saw that there was a mature bull in the group. After crawling on hands and knees over the burnt ground we got the sticks up. Crawling over that ground is hell on the knees. When I found the bull in the scope it was pretty dark through the brush. I looked over at AJ and said, "I don't feel comfortable with the shot." He said, "No problem, there are plenty more." So by now it was pretty dark and we quick stepped it through the thick stuff back to the cruiser.

The following morning we went back to look for the eland and found where the track went into the jess. That is where we stopped. AJ said it was not worth trying to follow them into the jess. So we loaded back into the cruiser to head to the Lugenda river to go and look for bushbuck. We got to the river and slowly started walked through the riverine bush. We had an encounter with a nice ram at about twenty yards but he was having none of it.

10/7/23
This morning was a 3:30 wake up and out of camp by 4. We went past Chitande village to go look for eland in a part of the block Katherien and I had not been before. The village consisted of maybe 15 mud brick houses with tin roofs. All of the kids came running out to the road to wave and say hi. I would venture to guess that many of those kids had never seen a 5'11" tall, blue eyed, red head, American woman before. Katherien who is a teacher was thrilled to see how happy and excited those kids were. We were at least an hour from camp when the five of us got out of the truck to walk along the river and look for bush buck and eland tracks. We walked through old small cornfields that the villagers had planted in the past.
IMG_7503.JPG

We did not see any bush bucks, but we did cross some fresh eland tracks. We headed back to the cruiser for lunch and when we got there AJ asked Timodjo and Sofu to go find where the eland had crossed the road. The dynamic duo were only gone about 20-30 minutes when they came back to report that they had found the eland. "Grande", was how Timodjo described the bull he had seen. There was some discussion as to whether we should wait and try and let the wind steady or just go and try to make a play. It was decided to go. Timodjo led us roughly 600-700 yards from the truck through the bush, he was not following the tracks but his memory as to where they were. He said, "They are up there feeding by the green tree." This time of year there are not very many green trees, so it was easy to see what he was talking about. So we eased up and there and they were right where Timodjo had said. AJ was already in his binos. Shortly there after he puts up the sticks. AJ whispers, "Do you see him? He is quartering hard to us." I see the bull at about 100-120 yards. I get the gun up on the sticks and am trying to steady myself. I settle the crosshairs and start squeezing. BOOM goes the dynamite and the herd turns and trots off with the bull following. We follow for 90-100 yards and see a bull facing straight away from us. AJ is looking through his binos and cannot see blood. However, the herd moves off and the bull stays behind. AJ says, "That's him, shoot him right up the backside." I am on the sticks again and squeeze off the shot. The bull gives a big kick and topples over. The bull is down and in my excitement I put my third shot right over the top of his back. You would think that something the size of one of my wife's horses would be hard to miss, especially as it is not really moving and the distance is less than 100 yards. Well easier than you think. We walked up to him and I put a finisher in. AJ said, " After your first shot, when he was facing away I could not see blood or a hole because an oxpecker was on him covering the hole. Had to wait for the bird to move to see that yes, this is the bull you shot." Turns out that at the sharp quartering angle I had put the bullet a 4-6 inches to the left of the shoulder resulting in a mid body hit. It was enough to slow him down and allow us to get back on him for the second shot in the Texas style. Man, 'This is a very close second to tracking buffalo.', I thought. As it was the middle of the day and really hot we took pictures and hustled to get the bull loaded and back to camp. We had the bull covered in green branches and made it back to camp with out any meat or hide issues. These guys KNOW what they are doing.
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

More to come

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats! Doing it the right way brother. I just got back from Moz as well, its still very real and authentic there. I love it.

The following 3 days
The night of the buffalo hunt we stayed up past the generator, so the cell phone lights came out. You need to see when pouring the potato juice. Needless to say the following morning we did not leave camp till about 7. An eland bull was on the menu. AJ wanted to go and check out some pans in a forest type area. We walked the elephant paths into the water. Two of the three pans were dry. However, the third was holding water. It was a fountain of life! This was a place that we visited several times just to sit and watch nature tv. Katherien loved this place as we all did. Where else can you see ten bushbucks come to water? This place had all of the wildlife. Elephants, warthogs, sable, impala, kudu, baboons, suni, red duiker, zebra, and Niassa wildebeest were all seen here.
View attachment 564590

One evening we cut some eland tracks and started to follow. We caught up to them at last light and saw that there was a mature bull in the group. After crawling on hands and knees over the burnt ground we got the sticks up. Crawling over that ground is hell on the knees. When I found the bull in the scope it was pretty dark through the brush. I looked over at AJ and said, "I don't feel comfortable with the shot." He said, "No problem, there are plenty more." So by now it was pretty dark and we quick stepped it through the thick stuff back to the cruiser.

The following morning we went back to look for the eland and found where the track went into the jess. That is where we stopped. AJ said it was not worth trying to follow them into the jess. So we loaded back into the cruiser to head to the Lugenda river to go and look for bushbuck. We got to the river and slowly started walked through the riverine bush. We had an encounter with a nice ram at about twenty yards but he was having none of it.

10/7/23
This morning was a 3:30 wake up and out of camp by 4. We went past Chitande village to go look for eland in a part of the block Katherien and I had not been before. The village consisted of maybe 15 mud brick houses with tin roofs. All of the kids came running out to the road to wave and say hi. I would venture to guess that many of those kids had never seen a 5'11" tall, blue eyed, red head, American woman before. Katherien who is a teacher was thrilled to see how happy and excited those kids were. We were at least an hour from camp when the five of us got out of the truck to walk along the river and look for bush buck and eland tracks. We walked through old small cornfields that the villagers had planted in the past.
View attachment 564619
We did not see any bush bucks, but we did cross some fresh eland tracks. We headed back to the cruiser for lunch and when we got there AJ asked Timodjo and Sofu to go find where the eland had crossed the road. The dynamic duo were only gone about 20-30 minutes when they came back to report that they had found the eland. "Grande", was how Timodjo described the bull he had seen. There was some discussion as to whether we should wait and try and let the wind steady or just go and try to make a play. It was decided to go. Timodjo led us roughly 600-700 yards from the truck through the bush, he was not following the tracks but his memory as to where they were. He said, "They are up there feeding by the green tree." This time of year there are not very many green trees, so it was easy to see what he was talking about. So we eased up and there and they were right where Timodjo had said. AJ was already in his binos. Shortly there after he puts up the sticks. AJ whispers, "Do you see him? He is quartering hard to us." I see the bull at about 100-120 yards. I get the gun up on the sticks and am trying to steady myself. I settle the crosshairs and start squeezing. BOOM goes the dynamite and the herd turns and trots off with the bull following. We follow for 90-100 yards and see a bull facing straight away from us. AJ is looking through his binos and cannot see blood. However, the herd moves off and the bull stays behind. AJ says, "That's him, shoot him right up the backside." I am on the sticks again and squeeze off the shot. The bull gives a big kick and topples over. The bull is down and in my excitement I put my third shot right over the top of his back. You would think that something the size of one of my wife's horses would be hard to miss, especially as it is not really moving and the distance is less than 100 yards. Well easier than you think. We walked up to him and I put a finisher in. AJ said, " After your first shot, when he was facing away I could not see blood or a hole because an oxpecker was on him covering the hole. Had to wait for the bird to move to see that yes, this is the bull you shot." Turns out that at the sharp quartering angle I had put the bullet a 4-6 inches to the left of the shoulder resulting in a mid body hit. It was enough to slow him down and allow us to get back on him for the second shot in the Texas style. Man, 'This is a very close second to tracking buffalo.', I thought. As it was the middle of the day and really hot we took pictures and hustled to get the bull loaded and back to camp. We had the bull covered in green branches and made it back to camp with out any meat or hide issues. These guys KNOW what they are doing.
View attachment 564622 View attachment 564623
View attachment 564624

More to come
Great looking animals, great story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowell8499

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg