MOZAMBIQUE: Buffalo With TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Reactions: cmk
Thanks for sharing your story, congratulations!

You really drew me into the hunt to the point of getting excited when the trackers tapped on the roof! That sound when there has been nothing for a long time kind of makes your heart skip a beat.
Boy, isn't that the truth!! You can go from boredom to anxiety in about 2 seconds!! lol

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.

A hard earned buff- and a beauty! Congrats!

I’m sure it’s good to have your feet up now :-D
Yes it was! In the second to last picture (from the morning of day 9), my feet are in sandals. Looking closely, you can see one of the band-aids. :-D

Wonderful bull and great report. I must wonder.... is English a second language for you? If so, you have mastered it quite well.
Thanks - Swedish is not much spoken globally, so one has to adapt... :-)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel the NorthFork SS performed for you? Good penetration, even expansion, accuracy, etc.? I have some of these for my own Jeff that I will be working a load up for soon. Would you use them again?
Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I would say that they worked perfectly well - to the best of my knowledge. Unfortunately, no bullet was recovered.

Thankfully, the buffalo went down in an easily accessible area, but it still took a bit over an hour to get to the car, cut a road and load it up. Then another hour to get to camp. So it was pretty late, and had been an exhausting day. So a G&T, dinner and then off to bed.

I had planned to be present at the unboxing, so to speak, but that either happend later that evening, or very early next morning. When I got to the 'skinning shed' (a tree) just after breakfast, it was already done. I did not go through the pile on the ground to determine what had happened to which organ. I did take a look inside the chest cavity though, and there was a neat hole coming in, and going out for the first shot, roughly like this - or perhaps quartering to just a tiny little bit more (pictures shamelessly borrowed from the Internet):
first-shot.jpg

There was no exit through the skin that I could see, so the bullet was probably under the hide just behind - or at the rear edge of - the off shoulder.

There was also an entry for the second shot, but I don't recall if I saw an exit;
secnd-shot.jpg

It would have been nice to recover the bullets, but the bull was just about to be loaded back upon the truck for delivery to the village, so I didn't push it.

My recipe is;
  • Norma case
  • Fed 215
  • 72 gn Norma 203-B (which is 'the same' as Reloder-15)*
  • COL: 89.3mm (3.515")
This gives 2225-2250 f/s in my rifle

* No, it is not really the same. But they are both made by the same manufacturer, to the same specification. However, it could be that Alliant and Norma does further screening and testing before putting their name on it. I would consider them close enough to use 203-B in a RL-15-recipe for starting loads, and work my way up.

Yes - I would use again, but I will start crimping from now on.
20240906_174836_copy_657x1085.jpg

The last shot I fired 'on the run', I did not hold the rifle properly. Scope touched my forehead, but no real 'kiss'. The cartridge on the right was the last one in the mag, and I believe that this can be the reason it shrunk a bit.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed your report and your sense of humor. The drought has been quite terrible and I'm wondering what I will find end of Oct when I return. I respect the perseverance/grit/stubborness it takes to be successful in these situations. Your description of walking on cornflakes is quite accurate! You really drew me into the hunt to the point of getting excited when the trackers tapped on the roof! That sound when there has been nothing for a long time kind of makes your heart skip a beat. I also know what that's like to feel like the PH is starting to get frustrated with the lack of luck. Thankfully, most of them hide it pretty well.

Big respect to you on not giving up and getting that bull in spite of everything that happened...or didn't happen. Well earned! Proper bull. Congrats!
Thanks.

Yeah, when we understood what that tapping indicated, were pretty quick to get out of the car again :)

End of October, that sounds a bit masochistic, but I guess it depends on where you are going?

I would say that they worked perfectly well - to the best of my knowledge. Unfortunately, no bullet was recovered.

Thankfully, the buffalo went down in an easily accessible area, but it still took a bit over an hour to get to the car, cut a road and load it up. Then another hour to get to camp. So it was pretty late, and had been an exhausting day. So a G&T, dinner and then off to bed.

I had planned to be present at the unboxing, so to speak, but that either happend later that evening, or very early next morning. When I got to the 'skinning shed' (a tree) just after breakfast, it was already done. I did not go through the pile on the ground to determine what had happened to which organ. I did take a look inside the chest cavity though, and there was a neat hole coming in, and going out for the first shot, roughly like this - or perhaps quartering to just a tiny little bit more (pictures shamelessly borrowed from the Internet):
View attachment 632709
There was no exit through the skin that I could see, so the bullet was probably under the hide just behind - or at the rear edge of - the off shoulder.

There was also an entry for the second shot, but I don't recall if I saw an exit;
View attachment 632715
It would have been nice to recover the bullets, but the bull was just about to be loaded back upon the truck for delivery to the village, so I didn't push it.

My recipe is;
  • Norma case
  • Fed 215
  • 72 gn Norma 203-B (which is 'the same' as Reloder-15)*
  • COL: 89.3mm (3.515")
This gives 2225-2250 f/s in my rifle

* No, it is not really the same. But they are both made by the same manufacturer, to the same specification. However, it could be that Alliant and Norma does further screening and testing before putting their name on it. I would consider them close enough to use 203-B in a RL-15-recipe for starting loads, and work my way up.

Yes - I would use again, but I will start crimping from now on.
View attachment 632717
The last shot I fired 'on the run', I did not hold the rifle properly. Scope touched my forehead, but no real 'kiss'. The cartridge on the right was the last one in the mag, and I believe that this can be the reason it shrunk a bit.
Thank you so much for your reply. It seems the NorthForks did their job, and that gives me even more confidence in them.
Excellent report too!

Very well written, and thank you for sharing. It doesn't always turn out quite how you hope, but you still had some great success! Congrats and thanks for trusting in us to be a part!

Congratulations on a fine old Cape buffalo! Excellent details!

Thanks.

Yeah, when we understood what that tapping indicated, were pretty quick to get out of the car again :)

End of October, that sounds a bit masochistic, but I guess it depends on where you are going?
The last 2 years I've been going 2x a season....once earlier and then much later...just getting a different feel for it all. Last year, the late hunt was in Zim in a tented camp and it was pretty hot...with no air con. This year the 2nd trip is in Limpopo and we will have air con at night.

That buff is a monster! You did great considering your feet were hurting. I have been there and it isnt fun! Good job on keeping with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanieduach

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]