Mounting a scope on a single bridge Mauser .416 Rigby

Take a look a gunsinternational.com I think you may have to "join" to be able to see prices. I've read that some countries do not have access to it. If you can access this site, take a look at what the guns are selling for, not necessarily the asking price.

Back to the original subject of the thread, I learned a couple "new to me" ways to install a scope.

Option 1 is for single square bridge mausers: You create a "static" double claw base on the rear square bridge. You install the base "backwards". You file up the rear scope ring with the rear claw also configured "backwards". For the front ring you use a Steyr Mannlicher offset ring with a single offset claw base that is low and left of the action. The net result is that the single claw front mount is the locking portion, the rear double claw is the static pivot-point base. Since you've occupied the rear square bridge with a double claw mount, should you wish to have iron sights you then fasten a rear peep sight that can lock into that double claw rear base OR you have a rigby style rear peep that connects to a dovetail on the rear of the bolt.

Option 2 is for the gun at hand which we've learned is just a standard round mauser that has had some filing done to it. You do the traditional double claw locking rear base. The front base and ring is from a steyr mannlicher single offset claw design that fastens to the side of the action. The front ring is offset into the front base and held by the static front base. The rear double claw base is the standard locking type.

Both options can be done by New England Custom Gun. Price is a bit under $2000. Both have the advantage of not obstructing the front iron sight view and can get the scope very low.

Just learned this was possible as I was bantering back and forth with NECG. I saw a picture of such an arrangement in Europe and they agreed it could be done in this way.

That subject came up of course . :) I told him I was interested in 375 H&H he said 375 Ruger is better and cheaper . What do you think ?
Other commenters have covered a lot of the pros and cons of using the .375 Ruger in Africa. I've used it quite effectively on multiple species over there and, just like the .375 H&H, it is absolutely deadly in the right hands. As others have pointed out in this thread, finding ammunition for the .375 Ruger is probably the biggest downside of using the cartridge. Fortunately, .375 Ruger ammunition is getting a lot easier to find in South Africa. It may never be as common as .375 H&H ammo, but it is indeed available now.

that's a great rifle. I love the 7x57 and the 30-06 for all round rifles, from light and fast bullets to big and heavy, both will do the job, they're easy to load for, plenty bullet and ammo choice, and widely available, good barrel life, great ballistics, great SD, great great great..

the rifle is a commercial oberndorf sporter built on a later action, it's visible on the bluing, logo and on the bolt handle design. the bolt shroud is an aftermarket 3 position side safety which is good. Stock 'looks' to be a new stock fitted as the original had a short stock that was rounded and with white spacers and a hogsback comb, which is probably why it was changed.

If that was my rifle, I'd have a new recknagel rear sight fitted with a wide V gold inlay fwd slanting rear sight and make sure the front sight bead was platinum with a rounded body, undercut, flat top and flat faced forward slanting.

It's the sort of rifle I'd probably just use for 99% of my hunting, and end up leaving all the other guns in the cabinet.

These days I've basically retired all my guns for just my BRNO VZ24 based 30-06,,I just struggle to see any reason not to pick that one out first :-)

well done on choosing to keep the 416 in original condition,,if you had changed it you'd have a lightbulb moment in a few years and cry yourself to sleep having finally realised what you did by fitting a scope! LOL

.22LR, 30-06, and a 470NE and your life is nice and simple, in a very good way ;-)

Best of luck in your endeavours, but if you ever need a voice of reason, PM me :-)

that's a great rifle. I love the 7x57 and the 30-06 for all round rifles, from light and fast bullets to big and heavy, both will do the job, they're easy to load for, plenty bullet and ammo choice, and widely available, good barrel life, great ballistics, great SD, great great great..

the rifle is a commercial oberndorf sporter built on a later action, it's visible on the bluing, logo and on the bolt handle design. the bolt shroud is an aftermarket 3 position side safety which is good. Stock 'looks' to be a new stock fitted as the original had a short stock that was rounded and with white spacers and a hogsback comb, which is probably why it was changed.

If that was my rifle, I'd have a new recknagel rear sight fitted with a wide V gold inlay fwd slanting rear sight and make sure the front sight bead was platinum with a rounded body, undercut, flat top and flat faced forward slanting.

It's the sort of rifle I'd probably just use for 99% of my hunting, and end up leaving all the other guns in the cabinet.

These days I've basically retired all my guns for just my BRNO VZ24 based 30-06,,I just struggle to see any reason not to pick that one out first :-)

well done on choosing to keep the 416 in original condition,,if you had changed it you'd have a lightbulb moment in a few years and cry yourself to sleep having finally realised what you did by fitting a scope! LOL

.22LR, 30-06, and a 470NE and your life is nice and simple, in a very good way ;-)

Best of luck in your endeavours, but if you ever need a voice of reason, PM me :-)

Thank you very much for the valuable information.

How it gets done on the aforementioned rifle.

IMG_0612.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have EAW mounts on one of my rifle and I really like them. Extremely easy to remove scope and place it back on again. I have never had an issue with scope not remaining zeroed after removing and returning scopes to mount. I do not have the EAW mounts on a heavier recoiling rifle like a your 416 Rigby but EAW mounts are designed to handle the recoil of a 416 Rigby. For my rifle the mounts are high that it is really not possible for me to use my express sights when the scope is removed so this is also something to be mindful of. If you have no real plans to ever shoot the rifle using iron sights than this will not be a concern. I seem to recalled them mounting blocks may come in different heights but you would need to research to confirm. EAW are German made and very well made. They are a much more reasonable priced solution compared to claw mounts. I also like the Holland an Holland detachable mounting system but you would be spending even more money than the cost of the claw mounts. The first three pictures show the Holland and Holland mounting system and the remaining three pictures show the EAW mounting system. I hope this maybe helpful.
HH mount-1.jpg
HH mount-2.jpg
HH mount-3.jpg
EAW-1.jpg
EAW-2.jpg
EAW-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have EAW mounts on one of my rifle and I really like them. Extremely easy to remove scope and place it back on again. I have never had an issue with scope not remaining zeroed after removing and returning scopes to mount. I do not have the EAW mounts on a heavier recoiling rifle like a your 416 Rigby but EAW mounts are designed to handle the recoil of a 416 Rigby. For my rifle the mounts are high that it is really not possible for me to use my express sights when the scope is removed so this is also something to be mindful of. If you have no real plans to ever shoot the rifle using iron sights than this will not be a concern. I seem to recalled them mounting blocks may come in different heights but you would need to research to confirm. EAW are German made and very well made. They are a much more reasonable priced solution compared to claw mounts. I also like the Holland an Holland detachable mounting system but you would be spending even more money than the cost of the claw mounts. The first three pictures show the Holland and Holland mounting system and the remaining three pictures show the EAW mounting system. I hope this maybe helpful.View attachment 197468 View attachment 197469 View attachment 197470 View attachment 197463 View attachment 197464 View attachment 197465

John thanks for the helpful information.
I have decided to keep the rifle as is for now .

Cem, did you ever purchase that 30-06 Mauser? Your last post re. that subject was a negative because you had been traveling. Just curious.

Too bad. From my experience, you need to "jump" on those things when they become available. I've purchased 4 rifles this year, all of them well under "market" value.

I know :-((( by the way I was in South Africa in the beginning of July for my 55th birthday. There was a last minute opening and I took it ..I've hunted buffalo,lioness,waterbuck,black wildebeest ..best birthday present ever :-))

I know :-((( by the way I was in South Africa in the beginning of July for my 55th birthday. There was a last minute opening and I took it ..I've hunted buffalo,lioness,waterbuck,black wildebeest ..best birthday present ever :-))

First things first. Where is the hunt report and photos of your hunt earlier this month? Did you get a Buff with your Mauser?

I bought a 308 Norma Mag, then I bought a package of two 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers one built in 1916 and the other in 1942 by Husqvarna. I'd been looking for one of the latter for several years. Lastly I purchased a CZ Custom Shop 404 Jeffery. I haven't received it yet. I bought it off an AH member that lives in Africa, but the gun was in the States.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioSig

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.