Mountain rifle

One comment about rifle weight… If you get a pack with a centered rifle sling, you’ll find you can carry a bit heavier rifle with no extra effort. I bought an Eberlestock pack to carry my 9+ lbs. .264 on a 2020 Desert Sheep hunt. It’s not a light rifle by any means but it shoots ‘lights out’ so I definitely wanted to take it on this once in a lifetime hunt. I hoped putting it in the pack would make carrying a bit less burdensome. It worked wonderfully! Give some thought to getting a small pack that has a gun scabbard internal and I think you’ll find it to be a wise investment.

I think .280a.i.is a nice choice for a mountain rifle.
Mine is a Tikka in a CF stock with a CF Wrapped barrel. It's quite accurate and recoil is fine on that lighter rifle so it ticks the box.

I was saying to Bob that I might like something else in a .280a.i and he is like but you have a good one. My reply was but it's not pretty.

A Tikka done right isn't too expensive and can be as accurate and reliable as anything else.

A Winchester 70 sounds Classic and a Ruger M77 would be reliable but I think a little heavier in stock standard form.

That leaves a Remington model 700 in Mountain Rifle configuration of you can find one.

Those are my affordable suggestions but the sky is the limit.

Given the .270 is a standard chambering of many makers there will be more options but searching and researching is half the fun.

The other half is having something nice, unique, special or different so buy a .280a.i.

Wood stocks can be hollowed then sealed. You might save the weight of a magazine of cartridges.

I can't help feeling that you are attempting to reinvent the wheel.

A Mannlicher-Schoenauer came in 6.5x54, which is the classic cartridge for this rifle, but later models were also chambered in .270. Here is an example. It is the finest bolt action sporting rifle ever made.
MS 1952 GK 01.jpg

I think .280a.i.is a nice choice for a mountain rifle.
Mine is a Tikka in a CF stock with a CF Wrapped barrel. It's quite accurate and recoil is fine on that lighter rifle so it ticks the box.

I was saying to Bob that I might like something else in a .280a.i and he is like but you have a good one. My reply was but it's not pretty.

A Tikka done right isn't too expensive and can be as accurate and reliable as anything else.

A Winchester 70 sounds Classic and a Ruger M77 would be reliable but I think a little heavier in stock standard form.

That leaves a Remington model 700 in Mountain Rifle configuration of you can find one.

Those are my affordable suggestions but the sky is the limit.

Given the .270 is a standard chambering of many makers there will be more options but searching and researching is half the fun.

The other half is having something nice, unique, special or different so buy a .280a.i.

What kind of velocity gains are you getting with your .280AI over the .280Rem, CBH?

My .280 Remington "Mountain Rifle", on the left. It was the first centerfire rifle I purchased when I graduated from the Marlin .35Rem my father started me on. Still wears the original 2x-7x Leupold I put on it when I bought the gun at age 17.
20210923_193651.jpg

I have a T3 Ultralite in 270 win. I just took it out on Monday for a hunt and hiked 8 miles with it, then ended up taking a bear with it.
It’s no fun to shoot at the range, but didn’t notice the recoil when I shot the bear. And was easy to lug around.
If you want a suppressor, the Tikka Ultralite muzzle diameter is going to limit you. That’s why I bought a T3x Lite Veil. It’s a good 1/2 pound heavier than the UL. So, I think the plan to get a T3x Lite and chop the barrel sounds pretty solid. My $0.02.

@Marc Ret I'm not sure about the gain as I never had a standard .280rem

I theory maybe 150fps gain. It's a 26" barrel so I hoped it will use everything the improved case can offer.

I think it' got around 2900fps while running it in with140gn.

I'm very happy with it as a chambering.

A light weight 280AI with nice walnut. Seems like this Kimber Classic Select fills the bill

48988A4D-2E3C-4839-B6D7-CD3A43EB2B51.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking for a lightweight rifle in 270 or 280AI for mountain hunting. My only issue is that I want a nice wood stock and most of these are all synthetic. I know wood adds weight, but I’m willing to carry the extra pound to have a rifle that’s nice to look at.
Id look at a Kimber or Tikka. They both ate excellent and have many options. I recommend to my hunters to buy a Tikka and put the $ you save into the glass.
I understand your love of good hard wood but a true mountain rifle must be synthetic.

I will have to take a close look at the tikka and kimber rifles, seems they have a good following

Tikka Hunter (wood stocked T3 Superlight) might be a wallet friendly option for you.
I searched high & low for one in 6.5x55 & picked this up last year.
Just a hair under 8lb with the 6x SWFA scope (not mounted in this pic) & a loaded mag.

You can find them in .270 for well under a grand. Not sure about .280ai
20220707_184442.jpg

Tikka Hunter (wood stocked T3 Superlight) might be a wallet friendly option for you.
I searched high & low for one in 6.5x55 & picked this up last year.
Just a hair under 8lb with the 6x SWFA scope (not mounted in this pic) & a loaded mag.

You can find them in .270 for well under a grand. Not sure about .280ai
View attachment 499594
Hard to argue against a 6.5x55mm.

The Savage Lightweight Hunter would be a great choice. My 308 with leupold 2.5-8x36 weight right at 7 pounds.

The new XP series w scope (which is not listed on savage website) is hardwood but it has the jeweled bolt from the pics. You can also buy the upgraded spring magazine. Short action only - but the 7mm-08 and 308 may suit you. Imo, the way to go!

The original lightweight hunter like mine is walnut (although imo not worth it bc of poor grain) and a spiral bolt (which i had to change to jeweled but it takes 20 minutes).
However, it was made in 270 and 3006...possibly 280? The long actions pop up on gunbroker once in a while. With light scope you would be about 7.5 pounds.

The new Christensen Ridgeline FFT is like 5.5 lbs and under $2500. looks pretty sweet.

I am going to repeat the recommendation for a Winchester M70, however, I don't believe it comes in .280AI. That would be my caliber of choice, just because of bullet selection for the 7mm. I have a standard .280 and it is an awesome caliber, although mine is in a Ruger No. 1 with the classic iron sights and barrel band sling swivel. I am not sure if you are interested in a single shot, but a ruger no.1 is a great rifle and if you get one that needs a little accurizing, it is well documented how to make these rifles shoot.
There's a No 1rebuild in 280AI in process for me, barrel band sling swivel and front sight, 4-12X scope in detachable rings ...

Kimber

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.55.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.55.59 AM.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.00 AM.png
    408.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.01 AM.png
    373.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.09 AM.png
    608.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.10 AM.png
    399.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 6.56.11 AM.png
    368 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgp3521

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?