Mouflon sheep hunt in Croatia questions

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My better half is dragging me to Croatia next month to go to her friends wedding, so doing what I do I best I found what I could hunt or fish for while I was there, Ended up booking a Mouflon hunt. A few questions for the more experienced travelers
1. Tipping in Europe as an American what’s the standard process or amount for a good service.
2. Final payment is supposed to be in cash in euro what’s the best way to get/ exchange usd for euro

what outfitter are you using?

Looking forward to the full report when you return!
:D Beers:

what outfitter are you using?

Looking forward to the full report when you return!
:D Beers:
Booked it off of book your hunt, had enough good reviews and talked to owner enough to feel good about the process, not sure of the company name it just has the owners name and contact info

I have tipped 10% on some Euro hunts. Tipping in general though in Europe is not done in many places (e.g. restaurants, etc).

I always get cash from an ATM once on the ground in Europe. Not sure how much you need though. Also, its probably not the best exchange rate but I like it for convenience.

Oh, and looking forward to your hunt report sir. I am hunting Mouflon in Slovakia starting this Friday myself. I looked into Croatia but settled on Slovakia. Croatia has some great options though.

Czech Republic has also good mouflon areas. I will post in the near future some offers for mouflon in Czech Republic

I’ve been told 100 euro per day for the guide if you are happy not a percentage. Spain, France, Romania they were happy to take a tip. Sweden and Poland it was almost discouraged by the guides. Tipping for hunts in Europe is very easy I’ve found no stress like in North America.

As mentioned above. Your local bank can get foreign currency in a couple days as stated and not worry about getting hammered on transaction fees. Very easy and takes one more thing to do once you land off your list? Last time I went to S. Africa I got Rand told them how much and what denominations. I just make sure I spend it all there and don’t have to worry about having some left over. Your local bank can work it the other way if you have a lot left over.

As to tipping in Europe, I have the following reflections to make as a Belgian:

- For most services that are provided, no tips will be expected, nor required.
- An exception would be for restaurants, where a few euro's to show your appreciation, up to 20 Euro for the table in a non-michelin starred restaurant would be considered a very nice tip. In michelin starred restaurants, it can be a % of the total bill of the table. Usually this tip is paid by one person of the table ( not the person who paid the bill itself)
- One big exception, where tips are also definitely required, is in the hunting context. Often called "the chapeau". This is French for "The hat", as in, after a (driven) hunt would be over, the hunting master who organised the hunt, will go around with his hat to collect the tips from everyone, the total sum being then divided over the beaters, houndsmen, etc. This tip is non-negotiable and it would be in very very bad form, not to have a few bills on you to pay this up. On all the hunts I have ever been, this "chapeau" was 50€ per hunter, per day, which then gets divided over everyone who helped out. In the case of a one-on-one hunt, going for a specific trophy animal, a good translation of this would be about 100€ per day, for the PH, if it is truly exceptional, perhaps a little extra.

Last edited:
I shot my mouflon almost 2 years ago. Tipped the main guide about $100 per day. The sub-guides a little less. They seemed happy. They worked their tails off packing that sheep out, wouldn't let me help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramenbetOlen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!