Most Unique Souvenirs

What I neglected to bring back, but should have done and very much regret now, is not having brought back one of the trackers' self-made axes, that they use to build blinds and clear roads.
I got one of those on my first safari in 1983. It is still just about the most treasured souvenir that I have ever brought back from anywhere I have traveled, other than taxidermy.

I got one of those on my first safari in 1983. It is still just about the most treasured souvenir that I have ever brought back from anywhere I have traveled, other than taxidermy.
On that safari, I had seen what looked like a "knobkerrie" (sp ?) club with s piece of leaf spring from an old car, fashioned into an axe blade. It was being used around the camp for cutting firewood and such. I asked the PH about it and if he thought I could buy it from the staff. He said, "Oh, you can't buy it from them. I got it when I was up in the North end of the country. So it belongs to me, and I just gave it to you."

So it is not just a souvenir, it is a treasured gift. But if I hadn't gotten one that way I would still have bought one on that trip or another one later on. It is a great conversation starter when we have guests.

On that safari, I had seen what looked like a "knobkerrie" (sp ?) club with s piece of leaf spring from an old car, fashioned into an axe blade. It was being used around the camp for cutting firewood and such. I asked the PH about it and if he thought I could buy it from the staff. He said, "Oh, you can't buy it from them. I got it when I was up in the North end of the country. So it belongs to me, and I just gave it to you."

So it is not just a souvenir, it is a treasured gift. But if I hadn't gotten one that way I would still have bought one on that trip or another one later on. It is a great conversation starter when we have guests.
I so can relate to you Doug!!!!! I felt the exact same way when Lon Denny gave me mine! One of my most treasured possessions!!!

That’s cool. Do you have a picture?

I found an old RSA license plate by the side of the road and brought it back. I guess it was expired. In the bush, picked up a spent .303 cartridge with a diamond in the head stamp. Was told it was from the Kimberly ammo plant made during WW2. I gave it to the PH/farm owner. He said his grandfather probably used it for game.

Last edited:
I brought back some South African election posters hanging on side of road after election finished. EFF and ANC signs.
I should have done the same. I arrived a day after the election. As a one-time aspiring political scientists, I love stuff like that.

I was fishing on the beach in east cape, Baja and a guy came along selling beautiful carvings. He lold me that he did the carving, his father went up in the mountains to cut the special wood and his wife did the staining and finishing. I bought a jumping sailfish and when I got it home I noticed the “made in the Phillipines” sticker on the bottom!

I found their axes to be of more utility compared to what you typically get in the USA; the dark handled one was actually used on my elephant.

IMG_3731.jpeg

I was fishing on the beach in east cape, Baja and a guy came along selling beautiful carvings. He lold me that he did the carving, his father went up in the mountains to cut the special wood and his wife did the staining and finishing. I bought a jumping sailfish and when I got it home I noticed the “made in the Phillipines” sticker on the bottom!

We ran into this in South America. Lamacrillyc.

The GI were causing a high demand for Llama wool sweaters. The Chaplain in and another officer went into the village to pick up some souvenirs before our redeployment to the states.

When asked by the accompnying officer, is the real llama? the local said yes. The accompanying officer pointed to the chaplain's cross. The local said Yes, it is Llamacrillyc. The accompanying officer was sold 4 llamacrillyc sweater for $15.00USD in stead of the normal 3 for $15.00USD.

If I ever figure out how to send a picture I'll send it. My daughter with all be able to help. I am somewhat technologically challenged!
That’s cool. I would like to see it. Post it in this thread if she can. I get it

Went on my first trip to SA this year, we brought back some neat things. A carved buffalo horn with all of the big 5 carved on it, some handmade salad spoons with porcupine quill handle tips, and a small carved elephant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kybybolites

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!