Most Unique Souvenirs

406LIFE

Reaction score
Headed back for four weeks and just thinking about items that might be on the more unique or unusual side that you've brought back. Interested to hear about your treasures.

I have brought back beautiful hand carved serving bowls. Also hand carved both big 5 animals all in one statue along with hand carved elephant figures

What I neglected to bring back, but should have done and very much regret now, is not having brought back one of the trackers' self-made axes, that they use to build blinds and clear roads.

These are two hand stitched pillow cases. Done by local Damara ladies in Namibia. They stitch there name in it. I gifted one and they ended up framing the pillow case and it looks great.
IMG_2215.jpeg

What I neglected to bring back, but should have done and very much regret now, is not having brought back one of the trackers' self-made axes, that they use to build blinds and clear roads.
I’m with you on this, I had the opportunity to bring back some liberated poachers spears from Mozambique back in 2014. Wasn’t sure of the legality so I declined. Turns out I probably could’ve just cut them to fit in my rifle case and brought them home.

I’ve got a few of those. Always next time.

I’m with you on this, I had the opportunity to bring back some liberated poachers spears from Mozambique back in 2014. Wasn’t sure of the legality so I declined. Turns out I probably could’ve just cut them to fit in my rifle case and brought them home.
Also caught some poachers, but since their "spears" were just sharpened rebar, not that interesting to bring back.

These are two hand stitched pillow cases. Done by local Damara ladies in Namibia. They stitch there name in it. I gifted one and they ended up framing the pillow case and it looks great.
View attachment 625180
Just showed my wife……might have to pm you on where about you picked those up…

I FORGOT…Lon @Tokoloshe Safaris gave me one of the handmade axes you are talking about!!! It is one of my proudest possessions hanging in my trophy room!!! Priceless!!!

You get one from him IF his trackers and staff think you deserve it if they respect you which I think is just awesome with it being such an honor to me when he presented it! It made my world knowing the trackers and staff both liked and respected me based on my time with all of them!!!

My personal favorite is a spear I brought back in my rifle case. Also some Gin Traps sent with trophies. We also have various carvings.

I've picked up porcupine quills and bird feathers, declared them, and they weren't taken away.

It was 2 AM at Dulles, so no one with the USDA was probably on duty...

I bought a had carved walking cane for my father in law and brought it back in my rifle case

We also bought some carvings. They are nice.

I bought a knife that I had never seen before, but got back home and found one much cheaper here!

I was just there in June and saw a lot of carved bones and skulls. The carvings were pretty cool work.

Attachments

• IMG_9363.jpg
    IMG_9363.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9360.jpg
    IMG_9360.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9361.jpg
    IMG_9361.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
I have a house full of artifacts and bring back items each visit. I collect antique stuff, spears, shields and weapons and tools. nothing from stores but spread the word I want working items or antiques. Everything I own has been used. With the Masai I tell them I will buy all the side swords I can, and sometimes come home with over 20. I ask the owners to sign them with a sharpie and they make great gifts as they are real used tools the Masai use. Also countless Bushman bows and poison arrows from Namibia (Must have a "receipt" showing they came from a suvener store which is easy to acquir:-)

I bought a Ethiopian (Abyssinian) sword over 100 years old from an elderly man, barely got it home, many antique buffalo shields (USDA didnt even check) . From my last Amazon trip I purchased the feather headdresses from the Wai Wai chief and his wife, made of colorful (Parrot) feathers that I thought might get confiscated but made it through fine. Just last week brought home an Samburu Wedding Necklace at least 75 years old.

But fun stories, I traded a watch for a ivory tusk in Northern Ghana from a chief of a village, of course I knew I couldn't bring it home so stored it with a missionary until he passed and it dissapeard. I traded a shotgun for a shrunken head in Ecuador in 1994. I love collecting junk, I feel bad for my kids someday.

551916B2-FFE4-47A4-BDCA-CFB95B973A3F.jpg

IMG_1488.JPG

Lastly in 1997 while hiking in South Africa I found a clay beer pot deep in a ravine, It took me a few days to excavate it without breaking it and hand carried it home. It sits displaced in my glass book case today.

IMG_0360.JPEG

Yes You can bing them home in a case, I have a fishing rod case just for spears and tall items

Yes You can bing them home in a case, I have a fishing rod case just for spears and tall items
It was my first trip and I wasn’t sure about the legality of it. I should’ve done it and played ignorant. Which I was!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennisPoin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED