more rabbits in the freezer

Rabbit is one of my all time favorites. Not sure if the wife would be thrilled about me building a hutch though…
When I was a young teen, I raised rabbits, New Zealand White and big brown rabbits, I forgot the breed.

We decided that one day we needed to harvest. The Cajun Sauce Picante we made was really tasty ( seared seasoned rabbit, onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, brown roux, and stock made from the bones), really tasty.
Served over Rice.

@Sgt Zim is directly on point with the French Acadian version with classic aromatic spices, and technique.
I wish here in Louisiana we can buy locally sourced rabbit.
The Chinese ship in their farm raised rabbit. I have no interest in Chinese raised rabbit.

IMG_1020.jpeg
IMG_0188.jpeg

When I was a young teen, I raised rabbits, New Zealand White and big brown rabbits, I forgot the breed.

We decided that one day we needed to harvest. The Cajun Sauce Picante we made was really tasty ( seared seasoned rabbit, onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, brown roux, and stock made from the bones), really tasty.
Served over Rice.

@Sgt Zim is directly on point with the French Acadian version with classic aromatic spices, and technique.
The Chinese ship in their farm raised rabbit. I have no interest in Chinese raised rabbit.
I think every other Acadian dish features rabbit.

Served over Rice.

My wife would absolutely be pissed if I shot the rabbits in the yard for dinner. A
I think every other Acadian dish features rabbit.
And a great beagle to chase the rabbits. I miss my dog.

My wife would absolutely be pissed if I shot the rabbits in the yard for dinner. A

And a great beagle to chase the rabbits. I miss my dog.
Me too the male I posted the picture of was a treasure he had a great nose a big voice and as long as he was close enough to hear me I could call him back. He passed a couple years back I’ve got a bitch now but she doesn’t have the heart for it or listen like he did. I bought her with the intention of saving his bloodline but he passed before her first heat.

I’d have to try one cooked right before I’d be convinced to raise them myself.

Any suggestions on recipes?
I’d have to try one cooked right before I’d be convinced to raise them myself.

Any suggestions on recipes?
I had eaten rabbit in restaurants we've all times and loved it, but had never cooked one. Then a friend gave me one. Dressed but not cooked. I soaked it in a mesquite marinade for about an hour then cooked it on a grill over charcoal. Delicious!

When I still.lived in California I could buy them from a local guy that raised them. After I moved to Washington I was never able to locate another supplier. Anyone up here raising rabbits for 4-H or whatever are selling baby rabbits as pets. I always thought of rabbits as food, not friends.

I’ve had the occasional cottontail of opportunity, but that was before I had developed any real appreciation for finer culinary care of game. These days, especially with small game, it’s the mouth-watering that makes me pull the trigger often as not.

It is a rare fine experience to hunt cottontails over a fine pack of Beagles by the way. Grew up doing so with neighbors who also had a fine cur dog that was an excellent squirrel dog. Spending an afternoon running to the tree once that dog "sat down" was so much fun even as the game bags grew heavier and heavier!!! A brace of "this years" cat squirrels fried (head on?) with gravy was pretty hard to beat!!!! I miss those days!

Domestic and wild rabbit is great table fare. Commercial chicken is kind of nasty.

Home raised chicken and rabbit or small operator
is not comparable to large operation commercially raised.

Some time back I raised New Zealands. My neighbors would buy them from me-sort of like rabbit of the month club. My wife would never eat one-she would talk to them and try to make pets. Finally I stopped due to my building up my shop. Funny thing was the mayor of my town was also a well known barber. When I stopped in on Saturdays he would ask if I had driven my herd out of town to the rail head. Saturday mornings was strictly for geezers, and political pundits. Got a laugh every time!

We used to raise chickens as well. Dad would buy 200 of the fast growing meat variety as day olds. I learned to care for them for months. The whole family would help with the plucking and butchering. I would clean out the gizzards. I still love heart and gizzards! A big chest freezer full of home grown chicken would make you feel like a wealthy man for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosariaMcD

Latest profile posts

Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg