Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
South Africa, England, Scotland, USA
We did our first safari in May. Talked to the PH a good amount about rifles. He recommended if I wanted a 375, prices keep rising so buy one soon…

fast forward to today at local gun range and I hear a guy say it’s a 375h&h on wall. He walks away so I go look and it appears to be a mint model 70 with some scope rings. $1250. Wife was in hurry to leave so I never fondled it or saw up close.

question, is that a good price and anything I should look at on the rifle if decide I’m interested? Things to look out for?

no idea if they negotiate prices as it’s a “high end” indoor range/club but I’d try to get price down anyhow if possible.

Not a bad price if it’s CRF. If it’s PF it’s priced too high.

WAB’s spot on. For a control round feed Winchester Model 70, price is pretty fair.

Yah I have to agree with @WAB. And if it's one of the more newer year models having been made in South Carolina or assembled in Portugal, I'd say it's a good price. The newer factories in my opinion have producing very good quality rifles.

That is about what I paid for a new/used model 70 safari in 375. I would confirm it is CRF like mentioned above and then buy it if its still there. The model 70 CRF .375 is super popular and a great rifle.

I dont "need" the rifle. Is the scarcisty real so i should grab it now or if i wait a year until i actually plan to start using it will they still be easy to come by?

I dont "need" the rifle. Is the scarcisty real so i should grab it now or if i wait a year until i actually plan to start using it will they still be easy to come by?
Treat a CRF M70 in .375 or larger like ammunition.
If you wait until you need it you won't be able to find one for sale!

That is about what I paid for a new/used model 70 safari in 375. I would confirm it is CRF like mentioned above and then buy it if its still there. The model 70 CRF .375 is super popular and a great rifle.

I dont know if they are truly scarce.. but.. they certainly arent as easy to find as a good 30-06 or 300 WM (can pretty much walk into any large scale gun shop or sporting good store like a Scheels or Cabelas and have multiple 300 WM options.. but might not see a 375 H&H at all..

At $1250 it sounds like a pretty decent deal... but I wouldn't consider it a great deal.. it really depends on which version you're looking at, whether its CRF or PF like WAB identified, etc..

I only paid $650 for my Win 70 .375 H&H Stainless Classic.. and I got a box of ammo with it as well... that's been almost 6 years ago.. and I realize I practically stole the rifle.. but... deals are still out there if you look for them..

If you have the money available, I'd say buy it and get shooting. You need to put the rifle through it's paces before hunting with it.

Buy it along with shooting sticks, dies, powder, bullets, cases and ….primers ( haha). You will have a blast! I probably put 200 rounds through mine before going the Africa.

Buy it. If you ever go hunt dangerous game, your tips will be more than that.

I bought a new m70 375 Portuguese made a few months ago for 1650 msrp. I do not regret buy the rifle. The rifle is made well and everything works. I also bought a USA made 458 win mag CRF for 1500 ANIB recently. No regrets at all. I would say 1250 is a good price if it’s CRF and in good shape.

I dont "need" the rifle.

Say what?!

I’ve got a Portuguese M70 in 416 Rem, really like the rifle. Had no need for it, it just “followed” me home. No real use for it but I'm glad I got it anyway. I think I just like M70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magnum308

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?