Mistakenly given 375 Ruger die set as gift

Creigh

AH veteran
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Messages
184
Reaction score
220
Hunted
South Africa
Forgive my ignorance, I'm a first time .375 owner.

I have a .375 H&H but was given the Hornady Ruger die set as a gift. Is this actually incorrect or do i need to go out and get the H&H version?

Thanks very much.
 
Welcome Creigh,

You'll need the H&H die set. The Ruger and H&H are distinct cases.
 
Apologies - that was a pretty lame welcome on my part.

Naturally it goes without saying that owenships of dies = a commitment to a rilfe. :LOL:
 
You should keep the 375 Ruger dies and get yourself a 375 Ruger rifle.
 
I knew joining this forum was going to cost me money. Which means I'll fit in just fine, I see.
Welcome to AH! There's no shortage of enablers around here; just mention you're thinking about a rifle/cartridge and they come out of the woodwork. Btw, now that you have a set of 375 Ruger dies, you do need a rifle to put them to use; that's just common sense. Besides, how else are you going to figure out which of the 375s you prefer?
 
Welcome to AH! There's no shortage of enablers around here; just mention you're thinking about a rifle/cartridge and they come out of the woodwork. Btw, now that you have a set of 375 Ruger dies, you do need a rifle to put them to use; that's just common sense. Besides, how else are you going to figure out which of the 375s you prefer?
It's worrying that I get no results from the search function for the term 'CZ 550'. Is there something I should know?

(A buddy's been offered a deal on one.)
 
It's worrying that I get no results from the search function for the term 'CZ 550'. Is there something I should know?

(A buddy's been offered a deal on one.)
Might try CZ550 (no space). Not sure why you'd get no return, both get used regularly.

What kinda deal, in what caliber? I have several CZ550s in several different calibers.
 
It's worrying that I get no results from the search function for the term 'CZ 550'. Is there something I should know?

(A buddy's been offered a deal on one.)

If it's a deal then he should buy it.

They stopped producing them. That was due to the viability for the company not the end user so they are worth considering if you wants a CRF actioned rifle
 
now that you have a set of 375 Ruger dies, you do need a rifle to put them to use; that's just common sense. Besides, how else are you going to figure out which of the 375s you prefer?
I only have one 375. A 376 Steyr. It's a couple hundred fps behind the H&H and Ruger. No slouch for a 30-06 length case. It is a tack driver. It shoots 230gr Peregrines sub-MOA @2775fps. I've used it for Deer, Bears, Elk, and Moose and will take it with to South Africa for Plains Game.
 
Might try CZ550 (no space). Not sure why you'd get no return, both get used regularly.

What kinda deal, in what caliber? I have several CZ550s in several different calibers.
.375. He's kind of bummed I got the Xbolt now he wants more toys. You know how it is.
 
If it's a deal then he should buy it.

They stopped producing them. That was due to the viability for the company not the end user so they are worth considering if you wants a CRF actioned rifle
I think they stopped making them in 2001 if I recall. It's got a few nicks. He might just make an offer.
 
The dies are always saleable as well. You could post them here on AH and save yourself the listing fee on ebay or gunbroker. The H&H is a superior case design IMO (Even though I now own a .375 Ruger) its easy to load and all the power you will likely ever need. Notice I didn't say "want"! Welcome to AH!
 
I only have one 375. A 376 Steyr. It's a couple hundred fps behind the H&H and Ruger. No slouch for a 30-06 length case. It is a tack driver. It shoots 230gr Peregrines sub-MOA @2775fps. I've used it for Deer, Bears, Elk, and Moose and will take it with to South Africa for Plains Game.
Sounds about right.

I use Barnes 270gr. I was recommended to go 250gr for the slight advantage around 300 meters. The chance I'll need to take that shot is low.
 
Any opinions on crimping. 375 hand loads? Yes or no?

I'm told often it isn't necessary, I figured I have your attention I may as well ask. Surprising to me that some people don't.
 
Any opinions on crimping. 375 hand loads? Yes or no?

I'm told often it isn't necessary, I figured I have your attention I may as well ask. Surprising to me that some people don't.
I always put a roll crimp on mine to keep bullets from being hammered into the case by hitting the front of the magwell on recoil.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,034
Members
169,688
Latest member
tg88voto
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top