Mid-long range hunting scope

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Ordered a zeiss v4 conquest 4-16x44, was disappointed with the turret design and all the plastic so I returned it. Was considering the leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 but heard a bunch of bad reviews about poor tracking and return to zero. This made me dive into the rabbit hole and question if I should get a leupold mark 5 hd 3.6-18x44 or nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50. If I have to spend the extra $500 I will but I’d like real world experience or recommendations. This is a rifle out to 8-900yds, being able to have a custom dial is kind of a deal breaker whether I can get it from factory or a 3rd party. I want something I can dial elevation to the yardage and hold for elevation

The NF 2.5-20 worked very well on my KY elk and in Namibia. If you are veteran discounts available on both Leupold and NF.

The light transmission on the nightforce is absolute garbage. It’s built like a tank, great for long range shooting, but I would never get another one for hunting.

Have you looked at the Swaro z5i? I picked one up for my sister’s hunting rifle and it seems good to go.

I wasn’t sure the reliability returning to zero. Can leupold cut a ballistic dial for it?
I have had no problem with mine from Alaska to Zimbabwe to California and Kansas.

Yes I’m sure leupold can cut you a turret. I have not had them do one for my mark 5. But I’ve got several they’ve done for me for vx3’s.

I have had very good results with both Leupold Mark 5 and Nightforce NX-8 scopes on hunting rifles. I’ve used both brands in similar scopes on various calibers. In hunting situations where a longer shot is taken (over 500 yards), I’ve found it easier with the Leupold scopes.

The two biggest complaints from my experience are the eye box and turret adjustments with the Nightforce scopes. The eye box in the Nightforce is narrow, making it sometimes difficult to get my head positioned for a clear picture, depending on the firing position. I also found the Leupold's turrets easier to quickly dial, which might be because I had more time with that rifle.

Depending on the caliber, past 4-500 yards, it will likely come down to your ability to quickly make scope adjustments and get into a stable shooting position.

I have had very good results with both Leupold Mark 5 and Nightforce NX-8 scopes on hunting rifles. I’ve used both brands in similar scopes on various calibers. In hunting situations where a longer shot is taken (over 500 yards), I’ve found it easier with the Leupold scopes.

The two biggest complaints from my experience are the eye box and turret adjustments with the Nightforce scopes. The eye box in the Nightforce is narrow, making it sometimes difficult to get my head positioned for a clear picture, depending on the firing position. I also found the Leupold's turrets easier to quickly dial, which might be because I had more time with that rifle.

Depending on the caliber, past 4-500 yards, it will likely come down to your ability to quickly make scope adjustments and get into a stable shooting position.
The biggest question is can leupold make a custom turret for the mark 5

You really don’t need anything over a 10 or maybe 12 power.

I’m going to swallow all of my personal experiences and opinions and simply suggest you talk with a leupold rep with your question. They will best be able to answer your mark 5 inquiry

I’m going to swallow all of my personal experiences and opinions and simply suggest you talk with a leupold rep with your question. They will best be able to answer your mark 5 inquiry
I’d like to hear personal experiences and not just a company rep telling me his product is great

I was in the same conundrum last year. I know that I am the outlier but I went with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2. I can say that so far its tracking has been great, the only downside is the weight. I also bought a NF NXS for a long range 6 Creedmoor build that got completed last year and it has worked well. Just to let you know the vortex is on a 7 LRM custom build that gets shot out to 1000 yards regularly. This is just my opinion, good luck with the choice.

I was in the same conundrum last year. I know that I am the outlier but I went with a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2. I can say that so far its tracking has been great, the only downside is the weight. I also bought a NF NXS for a long range 6 Creedmoor build that got completed last year and it has worked well. Just to let you know the vortex is on a 7 LRM custom build that gets shot out to 1000 yards regularly. This is just my opinion, good luck with the choice.
Vortex puts a bad taste in my mouth, also not trying to be over $1700

I understand and will say before I moved to the Vortex scope I was using a Leupold LRP scope that worked very well for several years. I only switched to get more magnification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brandon1078

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg