Mid life crisis?

I’m sure there will be many others chiming in soon. This topic has been discussed often on AH.

I would first suggest to only look at used double rifles. New, you are unlikely to find much below 10k$

If I understand you, you do not have much practice yet with bigger bores. So I would suggest a double rifle in 375h&h from a reputable (German) maker, or something a bit bigger, with rims, where also other makers should be able to make something decent.

450/400 would be an ideal choice, but likely will come at a bit of a premium for now.

470NE you’ll find most big bore double rifles in, but you’ll need to make sure that you can handle the caliber. Try to find someone who has one so you can try.

And read up a lot on AH, there is a world of info here.
@VertigoBE
What about a nice 9.3x74R.
I know SFA about doubles but that seems pretty popular.
Bob

I do have a decent job. A lot of it though is we are good with our finances. No debt other than a mortgage and we didn’t over spend on a house. It’s a nice house but not outside our means by any stretch. We don’t drive the newest trucks that cost $60k+, our vehicles are paid off, no student loans or anything, no credit card debt, no big expensive boats, or RVs. Don’t really eat out much, don’t have cable tv or a bunch of subscriptions like Netflix or anything. Basically we live well within our means. Which gives us some financial flexibility to buy some nice things once in awhile or afford to take a family of 4 to Africa for 10 days.
@Elkeater
Sounds like you have your head screwed on pretty well for a young fella. Big flash houses and cars impress other but is the debt worth keeping up with the Joneses. To me no.
Comfortable, happy and debt free is afat better option. The Joneses can have the shit and debt just to look good.
Bob

@VertigoBE
Bob
That would absolutely make sense, and be much cheaper, or rather, you would be able to find a double rifle of much higher quality for similar or less money.

However many (most?) African countries have the .375 requirement for dangerous game. Even if the 9.3x74r would work perfectly, I would not recommend it unless the destination country is known and it is allowed there.

@VertigoBE
Bob
I'm eyeing this boxlock in 9.3x74r for example. Fully engraved, quarter rib, nice wood, double triggers. Even a Zeiss red dot sight thrown in. Made by a smaller Belgian maker. Looking to be in a pristine condition. For 3000€ (about 3500$)...

Jacquemart express 9.3X74r 01.jpg

I’m sitting here this morning waiting for the kids to wake up so I can cook breakfast and they can open presents. They are getting rock climbing gear mostly this year.

Anyway the wife and I have been joking a lot about having our mid life crisis lately. We aren’t there yet being only in our mid thirties and we aren’t the kind of people to have some sort of breakdown and go buy a sports car or something anyway. But still it’s kinda got me thinking that hey maybe it’s a good excuse to do something fun in a few years when I turn 40. So after contemplating for a bit I realize ever since I was a little kid I’ve had images of chasing buffalo with a double rifle. Now I haven’t been to Africa yet (counting down the months to our first trip in June of ‘24) but I think it’s time to plan for that mid life crisis.

Now the question becomes what rifle to buy in the next few years? I’m not very familiar with double rifles or the cartridges used in them. I am very familiar rifles in the sense that I own many bolt guns and various other firearms and do a lot of handloading. I’m not rich! I do ok and can save up money for a purchase without much problem but something from the high end London gun makers is probably not gonna happen. I realistically think my rifle budget would be max $10,000 though less would be better. Can I get into a reliable, clean double rifle for that budget? And if so what makers and cartridges should I be looking at?

And if that’s not realistic that’s ok and I’ll probably still go buffalo hunting but I’ll find a bolt gun instead.

Thanks all
It is a tough situation and one many of us have found ourselves in. The wish for a buffalo hunt with a double yet being able to pay for the gun and the hunt. The problem lies in the fact that the hunt is a close in dangerous game hunt where a familiar and reliable rifle is a must. You will need to get the best double you can afford, have it thoroughly inspected by a top gunsmith like J.J. Perodeau, and then practice a lot.
As a person new to doubles a few years ago I found myself drawn to the features only found in the Kreighoff. It has a decocker instead of a safety and an anti-doubling feature. These safety features sold me along with the elegance of the gun.
Keep the dream alive but be prudent at every step of the way!

lol!!! you are on the wrong site my friend!!!! We are all enablers and have been enabled on this site. my “friends” have enabled me into 6 different DRs
@Rare Breed
With friends like us you don't need any enemies. We can all help you spend your money just fine. After all it's not our money
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyHud

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?