Mid life crisis?

Aren’t you all supposed to like talk me out if this or something? Not talk me into it!
Nope. Nothing like a double rifle and African dangerous game.

full

And inspiration for later on, by the way you can thread the needle with a double and a red dot.

Just an FYI, there are 2 brand new Sabatti doubles in 416 Rigby, on Gunbroker, one for around 7400.00, the other around 7800.00. I've taken a number of trips to Africa, and while I am enamored with the beauty of these double rifles, for me, I'll stick my bolt rifle all day, any day.

Congratulations! It took me until age 49 to decide to go to Africa a d had no thoughts of a Dangerous Game hunt nor double rifle. Took me until 50 to go on a PG hunt. The hunted elephant, buffalo, lion, another buffalo, rhino and leopard within 2 1/2 years;)

For a double, if new you can't beat a Chapuis for the price. Negotiate! Of you go used, find a quality English gun and have it checked by J.J. buy from him or George or arrange to have it sent to him for a checkup before buying. He can serve as a go between and sort of Escrow agent.

You all certainly make this hard! So many rabbit holes to go down. I still want to check out some doubles or like others have said a nice bolt gun and go hunt more? What’s a guy to do? at least I’ve got one safari and a couple years to go before I have to commit into something. Been reading Capstick lately and DG is something I’m pretty sure I have to do.

No one said you can’t use your double at home:A Stirring: to hunt(y) I’m looking at going the Chapuis route as well. Just need to get back from this trip.
Have just made a good buy on brass and bullet heads £600 worth which I got for £300.
So that will see me for practice. Can sort my dg rounds out soon. But pg is sorted with the above. Finding the right rifle here is the big challenge.

No one said you can’t use your double at home:A Stirring: to hunt(y) I’m looking at going the Chapuis route as well. Just need to get back from this trip.
Have just made a good buy on brass and bullet heads £600 worth which I got for £300.
So that will see me for practice. Can sort my dg rounds out soon. But pg is sorted with the above. Finding the right rifle here is the big challenge.
You wont regret the Chapuis. I just acquired a used one in 450-400 and it handles, shoots and looks great.

You wont regret the Chapuis. I just acquired a used one in 450-400 and it handles, shoots and looks great.
They are a great value used, especially if they open and close nicely. They are very stiff and tight from the factory so we've had JJ do action jobs on them right from new.

Very strong guns. And hard to go wrong with a 450-400. Or a 470NE which is probably the same price.

Elkeater.

Follow your dream.
Buy an express sighted double that fits you properly and train thoroughly with it, especially over shooting sticks.

With that, I recommend the 450/400 cartridge and 400 grain bullets.
However, in one or more jurisdictions, the 9.3x74R cartridge with 286 grain bullets meets their lawful ballistic criteria for buffalo.
Dr. Kevin Robertson wrote in his buffalo hunting book, “Africa’s Most Dangerous”that, the 9.3x62 Mauser cartridge (the ballistic twin of a 9.3x74R) was an excellent buffalo getter, when combined with today's super tough bullets.
(I like the Swift A-Frame).

Moving right along, the .450 NE Flanged and the .470 NE are by reputation, wonderful buffalo cartridges.
However, both have fairly “sporty” recoil,
noticeably more than that .338 Magnum
you mentioned.
I once owned a .450 No2 NE and I learned to shoot it well.
But, I wanted a .450/400 and just couldn’t find an affordable one at the time.

Sadly the Ely Brothers No2 version of the .450 Nitro cartridges is today a somewhat obscure one.
But, I regard it as the best of all .450’s as it duplicated today’s .458 Winchester ballistics but due to the huge case, it did so with only half of the .458’s chamber pressure.
Blah blah blah whatever.:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I almost forgot …. Double rifles in 9.3x74R caliber sometimes are 2 or 3 thousand US Dollars less expensive than the same maker’s doubles in larger calibers are.
I cannot guess why this is so but, I have definitely noticed the price difference more than once or twice.

Those who say that a scoped .375 repeater will allow you more chances at the buffalo of a lifetime are sensibly correct.
Also, in extreme circumstances, a scoped .375 might possibly allow you to go home with a buffalo of any description, as opposed to going home with no buffalo at all.

That said, when I was at that exact same crossroad, I elected to go with an express sighted double rifle.
Many years have passed since then.
And, I am still more than happy with my choice.
Not only did I take a buffalo with an open sighted vintage, exposed hammer double rifle, I got extra lucky and shot a huge bull at that.

Also, unless you plan to do some culling from herds of whatever dangerous species or, fight off an angry mob of violent criminals, I would not get too worked up over ejectors vs extractors.

Again, follow your dream.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

@Velo Dog made some good suggestions. Something I have learned and will adhere to if I ever get the DR bug again:
1. Get a sxs rifle
2. Flanged case
3. 375 or bigger
4. Get a regulation card for it with load data - ideally for a bullet weight/type you would want to hunt DG with.
5. Have it throughly inspected and tested by a DR expert prior to purchase.
Should you ever decide to sell/trade the rifle these main points

You all certainly make this hard! So many rabbit holes to go down. I still want to check out some doubles or like others have said a nice bolt gun and go hunt more? What’s a guy to do? at least I’ve got one safari and a couple years to go before I have to commit into something. Been reading Capstick lately and DG is something I’m pretty sure I have to do.
Rabbit holes are fine. If I was you I'd avoid rat holes though... i.e. new or used double rifles from makers known to produce lower quality, no matter how many claims from people who are happy with theirs. I had a Sabatti DR once ;)

And beware of used doubles not checked by a reputable maker, shop or gunsmith.

Congratulations! It took me until age 49 to decide to go to Africa a d had no thoughts of a Dangerous Game hunt nor double rifle. Took me until 50 to go on a PG hunt. The hunted elephant, buffalo, lion, another buffalo, rhino and leopard within 2 1/2 years;)

For a double, if new you can't beat a Chapuis for the price. Negotiate! Of you go used, find a quality English gun and have it checked by J.J. buy from him or George or arrange to have it sent to him for a checkup before buying. He can serve as a go between and sort of Escrow agent.
Awesome!!! Late congratulations on the big 5 @ActionBob!!!

10k would buy a really nice bolt rifle. Don't get me wrong, DR are really cool, and I've gone down that rabbit hole, but unless you are a committed handloader and equally committed to mastering how to shoot it, stick with a bolt gun, spend 8-10 for a really good set-up optics, hunt until you drop. A 375 HH is obviously most peoples go to, but honestly if I could only have one rifle, it would be a 404 or 416, with express sights, a QR scope system of some sort with a european 1-4 or 1-6 scope on it.

This rifle would be the highest level of craftsmanship and is timeless design, your son could be hunting with it 20 years from now and it still wouldn't disappoint :

Attachments

Attachments

10k would buy a really nice bolt rifle. Don't get me wrong, DR are really cool, and I've gone down that rabbit hole, but unless you are a committed handloader and equally committed to mastering how to shoot it, stick with a bolt gun, spend 8-10 for a really good set-up optics, hunt until you drop. A 375 HH is obviously most peoples go to, but honestly if I could only have one rifle, it would be a 404 or 416, with express sights, a QR scope system of some sort with a european 1-4 or 1-6 scope on it.

This rifle would be the highest level of craftsmanship and is timeless design, your son could be hunting with it 20 years from now and it still wouldn't disappoint :

Duane was very helpful when I was building my rifle. Nice guy. Very nice. He sells a well written and nicely illustrated little booklet that is a useful read for anyone contemplating a custom build. It's an eye-opener to see all that's involved in transforming one of these former military rifles into a dangerous game gun. Twenty-five bucks well spent!

Anyone recognize those bases?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfjdjhfsx

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]