Merkel 141

GerardV

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, UK
I'm considering purchasing a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r, however I am sceptical about the weight of the rifle (~3kg) in such a calibre. Has anyone shot this rifle in 9.3x74r before and if so, how was the handling and recoil?

Or would I be better off waiting for a Merkel 140 (4.6kg) to come up on the market?

I have not shot one but handled a few 141s in that caliber. It seemed about the right weight. I think stock fit would be a more important factor to consider. They normally have a hogs back Germanic stocks that some find uncomfortable.

But to each their own

I had one and generally liked it. Recoil was not bad.
But...mine had a single trigger and the Recoil off of bags was sometimes enough to make it double. If my rifle had been a double trigger I would still have it. I never had an issue with it off-hand.

I cannot speak about a Merkel 141, I did have a Sabatti in 9.3x74R and it kicked about like my .375H&H kicks.

I had one and generally liked it. Recoil was not bad.
But...mine had a single trigger and the Recoil off of bags was sometimes enough to make it double. If my rifle had been a double trigger I would still have it. I never had an issue with it off-hand.
Was this with iron sights or scoped?

My wife shoots a Chapuis in that same weight range, she is 5,2' and 150 and has no recoil complaint

IMG_3297.jpeg
Facetune_03-11-2023-10-53-03.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPoteet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?