Merkel 141

GerardV

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, UK
I'm considering purchasing a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r, however I am sceptical about the weight of the rifle (~3kg) in such a calibre. Has anyone shot this rifle in 9.3x74r before and if so, how was the handling and recoil?

Or would I be better off waiting for a Merkel 140 (4.6kg) to come up on the market?

I have not shot one but handled a few 141s in that caliber. It seemed about the right weight. I think stock fit would be a more important factor to consider. They normally have a hogs back Germanic stocks that some find uncomfortable.

But to each their own

I had one and generally liked it. Recoil was not bad.
But...mine had a single trigger and the Recoil off of bags was sometimes enough to make it double. If my rifle had been a double trigger I would still have it. I never had an issue with it off-hand.

I cannot speak about a Merkel 141, I did have a Sabatti in 9.3x74R and it kicked about like my .375H&H kicks.

I had one and generally liked it. Recoil was not bad.
But...mine had a single trigger and the Recoil off of bags was sometimes enough to make it double. If my rifle had been a double trigger I would still have it. I never had an issue with it off-hand.
Was this with iron sights or scoped?

My wife shoots a Chapuis in that same weight range, she is 5,2' and 150 and has no recoil complaint

IMG_3297.jpeg
Facetune_03-11-2023-10-53-03.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorenceGa

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!